Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
So where do you keep your comics?

Im starting to get a collection going on here of about 90 comics and at the moment their in 2 boxes and their all bagged and boarded.

Ideally I'd like to have them im some sort of binder folder where I can easily view them but only if it's specifically made for comics as I wouldn't want to damage them.

If not any other suggestions?

Cheers!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
depends if you want to resell them in the future. Putting them in a binder? If that requires punch holes, that eliminates resale value.
Holes will also affect art & dialogue on pages. More value in taking them out of bags. Haven't seen a binder that lets a book sit in it without having to damage the book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
I've always been terrified of binders... Sleeves hold the books, but you always have to be sooooo careful or you end up damaging the books from a bad stack or worse. Plus, collections grow. At that point, binders become pretty useless. When I go to conventions, I tend to make-shift some sort of box that gits in my backpack or something. Worst case, I take a small packing box with a little padding on top, so there's room for NEW books. If I'm planning to purchase a lot? What am I talking about, I don't buy a LOT of books at conventions, and if I do, I'll have something else with me to put them in.

Keep them in boxes! If you want to have SOME handy to show off (keys), mylar / mylite and put them in a short box, segregated.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Where don't I store my comics? They are in every room and hallway at my place.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Well thats it to be honest I just want to be able to show or flick through my comics without getting them all out of the boxes.

I thought a binder where it had its own sleeves where I could then put the bagged comics in would make easier work of what I wanted.

What is the best storage because at the moment their stacked on top of each other in 2 very full separate boxes (bagged and boarded)

Will boxes with dividers (like a filing system) be better or would that make it easier for the corners to damage??
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Use a friend's storage inside his personal airplane hangar where he keeps his jet and snowtrac. That's what I'd do. Just sayin'.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
The trouble with ring binders is that the sleeves tend to sag.

Comics are best kept (bagged and boarded) upright in comic boxes.

If you want to protect them from constant handling have you tried these: clickable text?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
short boxes.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke Image all of those comics in 25% of the space and you get an idea of what I am dealing with.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
short boxes.
Short boxes are great for leafing through the books if they are standing up. Banker boxes can efficiently hold two raw books wide if you stack the books inside the box. You just need to keep better records of what in each box as it is tougher to go through each box.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I goto OFFICE DEPOT. They have black plastic storage boxes that will hold (sideways) 25-30 CBCS slabs. They stack pretty well too. Cost on sale was about $4-6 a box. I bought 20. I don't like cardboard. Cardboard, bends, tears, absorbs water and silver fish. Plastic doesn't. Also, if you get OFFICE DEPOTS rewards card you get a little back.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If water and silver fish are issues you are storing your comics in the wrong place.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Short boxes?? Is that a brand or simply just a short box?

Just if im storing £100s worth of comics will standing them up straight one by one in a box not cause them to sag??

Having them in order in some sort of filing system would be simple to flick through.

What about this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/storage-boxes-baskets/lekman-box-white-art-10247138/
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
@Mickee92, sag happens if there is no board in the bag. The board is there for that purpose. As for boxes, think in terms of a lid and boxes on top of boxes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92

@Mickee92 This is a picture of a comic book box. There are two popular sizes - short and long. The short box holds approximately 150-175 comics. The long box holds approximately 200-225 comics. They are available through a LOT of sources - eBay, Amazon, BCW, your local comic book store, etc.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Sorry I should have elaborated.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Keep them pretty tight in whatever box. Add filler as necessary
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
@Mickee92

I'm not sure if you're ragging us or not here mate.

Just google "how to store comic books" or some such phrase and you will find shedloads of advice.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

@Mickee92 This is a picture of a comic book box. There are two popular sizes - short and long. The short box holds approximately 150-175 comics. The long box holds approximately 200-225 comics. They are available through a LOT of sources - eBay, Amazon, BCW, your local comic book store, etc.

Short boxes are the way to go - only in my early 40's but a long box is heavy!! I have mine stacked on shelves 4 and 5 high in double rows - sucks trying to pull out long boxes from the top or bottom.

Starting to get more slabs - have not found an adequate solution yet
Post 19 IP   flag post
get graded book comic book short boxes, too!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
If water and silver fish are issues you are storing your comics in the wrong place.

No problems here. Just looking to avoiding any future problems. Plus they stack nicely.
Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I incorporated these Acid Free Comic Drawer boxes into a custom wall design.

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Short boxes are the way to go - only in my early 40's but a long box is heavy!! I have mine stacked on shelves 4 and 5 high in double rows - sucks trying to pull out long boxes from the top or bottom.

Starting to get more slabs - have not found an adequate solution yet

Try http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-book-storage/comic-box/graded-comic-book-box
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
My local stocks a bunch of goodies from http://www.bcwsupplies.com/ a bit on the pricey side though.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

That is such an awesome comic book shelf you've built!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
@Mickee92

Just google "how to store comic books" or some such phrase and you will find shedloads of advice.

Nope I know how google works just I thought storing them in those "short/long boxes" were ok for just bulk not so valuable comics as when you see people at conventions their digging their fingers in bending them back and it just doesn't look ideal.

Just thought there would have been a better way of storing comics when their fairly pricey.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

That is such an awesome comic book shelf you've built!!

Second that!! Bloody brilliant that!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
@Mickee92

Nope I know how google works just I thought storing them in those "short/long boxes" were ok for just bulk not so valuable comics as when you see people at conventions their digging their fingers in bending them back and it just doesn't look ideal.

Just thought there would have been a better way of storing comics when their fairly pricey.

There are, but prices escalate quickly because the materials are more expensive and the demand is much lower.
Here's an example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/400960861/comic-book-storage-and-display-box-with
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
A cabinet like this runs roughly $2K - $3K and they aren't aesthetically anything I'd want.

http://www.handsomeboydesigns.com/ct3000/
This "must be properly anchored to the wall per installation instructions", so there are other complications besides just buying it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
608068 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?