Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

New Comic Releases - Nov 1 - DC vs Marvel4705

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Here we are again... Wow, these Wednesday releases come so quickly. When you wait until the weekend to pick up your books sometimes, the next Wednesday just pops right back up again. Damn!

This is interesting, though. I'm a LONGTIME Marvel Reader... Decades... As the weeks pass, I've found myself very interested in what's going on at DC. I still buy a lot of the books I've always purchased at Marvel, but I'm getting drawn into the events at DC quite a bit. Some of the Legacy titles, new storylines, are interesting me, but this week in particular, what's drawing me in? DC...

What's high on your list?

DC Comics:

Batman 34 has part 2 of some sort of Desert related quest... The Joelle Jones cover (A) looks like it could have popped right out of the Batman vs Superman movie, while the Tony Daniel cover (B) is a JLA Variant. We'll see a LOT of those in advance of the movie.

Batman Devastator is the evil Batman combined with... Doomsday? Yikes... This whole series of books - Dark Nights: Metal - has been pretty cool, and evil twists, horror infused, is right up my alley. I like it!

Batman White Knight issue 2 is out this week as well. If Sean Murphy's twist on the Batman / Joker dynamic sold you with issue 1 sold you, this one will keep you hooked, I'm sure. Two cover options here, both by Murphy.

Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands issue 1 drops this week... I haven't followed this character over the years, except when he popped up in events. With the new CW show starting up, this could be a hot book, or it might not. Can't really say. I think this will come down to the creative team and how heavily retailers ordered. If they under-ordered, this could be a gem.

Deadman 1 also drops this week... Neal Adams at his best is allowed to go wild, but sometimes he needs a little editorial guidance to keep from going completely out in the wild. Hopefully with six issues, the pacing will be good, and the story will be a dynamic one worth treasuring. The glow-in-the-dark variant should be a fun one to track down here... It was easily orderable, but how deep did the orders go? Go get one and find out!

Justice League 32 is another Dark Nights: Metal crossover. Don't forget the EVS cover connects with last week's Flash 33. There's also a JLA cover.

Jetsons 1 - I'm curious just how much social commentary will be in this "postmodern family" tale as the Flinstones has managed to pull off. It could be a great book by Jimmy Palmiotti, Pier Brito, and Amanda Conner. The Cover B by Dave Johnson looks great, but I'd go for the Connor "A" cover, since I love her work.

Image Comics - I think a lot of people may be going after Gravediggers Union issue 1 this week, but I'm more keen on No. 1 with a Bullet... That one seems like future tech meets the current generation's over-usage of social media and "living online" and takes things one step too far. In the description, there's a quote from Clive Barker... "A sublime piece of futurism that is both entertaining in its absurdity and terrifying in its predictions." Both could be great reads, but I'm going for the latter.

Marvel - There's not a TON coming out this week, and a lot of it, people will buy or they won't. A few lenticular covers, like Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Spider-Man (Miles)... For me, the only extra book I'm not already getting because of normal collecting is Captain America. After the brutal character assassination of Secret Empire, I want to see his walkabout in Mark Waid's hands. I trust Mark to do this run justice, and under his steady hand, Cap should be redeemed in the MCU's eyes and, hopefully, readers.

I have to add, I'm not sure what to make of Power Pack 63... I read the book when I was a kid, loved it, but not sure about these single issue add-ons. Good, bad, indifferent?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Oh! I forgot one... Some milestone issues from DC are coming out, but they're not doing the Legacy-Renumbering, just honoring them in different ways. Action Comics is going to hit their number organically, but Superman is hitting issue 800 sequentially in Superman issue 34 this week. You can pick up the Renato Guedes to celebrate it. Others are coming, of course! It's a nice Superman image, but I'm not picking it up - I've been getting way too much, and this is actually a part two. I wish they had timed the storylines better, so this hit on a new storyline for people to jump on and made this the lead cover or a different image to celebrate.

EDIT: Wait a sec... info shows Renato Guedes, but the sig on the image is Tony Daniel! Grrrr.... DC, get your solicits you're passing to Retailers straight!

Post 2 IP   flag post
Darn it! I forgot another one... The Bernie Wrightson Artifact Edition... I REALLY want this one, but can't get it right now. Hopefully, it will still be available when I can. Fingers crossed!

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Light week for me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Vote in my poll for what my panel and I should review on Thursday! (Please lol.... I forgot the "please"

Twitter poll
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Vote in my poll for what my panel and I should review on Thursday! (Please lol.... I forgot the "please"

Twitter poll

Right now, it looks like a tie between Deadman 1 and BM White Knight 2.... My vote was for Deadman.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:

Twitter poll

Right now, it looks like a tie between Deadman 1 and BM White Knight 2.... My vote was for Deadman.

Deadman took the lead but it was tied up again this morning! 40% for both. Thank you for voting!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Not much for this week for me either. Wallet is happy
Post 9 IP   flag post
@poka Next week is looking a bit more punishing...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard let’s see
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Deadman took the lead but it was tied up again this morning! 40% for both. Thank you for voting!

Neal Adams attended the CBCS dinner meetup at Baltimore comic-con back in September. I was lucky to sit at the same table as him and his wife. After dinner, he talked with the whole table about various things. One being this Deadman series and some of his plans for it. I don't think I've read this comic in the past, but might pick it up based upon that conversation.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Lonestar I pass the Neal Adams book yearly at SDCC... Next year, maybe I'll get him to sign something. Maybe even Deadman! My heart leans classic Batman and X-Men covers, though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
598060 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?