Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How do you choose which comic book to slab ?469

Collector WitchKing private msg quote post Address this user
Hi !

Just wondering how you do you choose which comic book to slab ?
Which criteria influence your decision ?

I have many comic books that i like and want to preserve, or comic books that i want to sell someday, but sometimes just can't choose which of them to slab...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Slabbing from the EU can be risky and expensive, but here is when I do it:

1. Books that I plan to sell soon, and the price difference between raw and graded makes it worthwhile.

2. Very valuable books that are easier to insure if slabbed.

3. Books I like, but will sell should I need the money.

4. Books I win in US-based auctions (sadly it can be cheaper to get a book sent graded then sent to me in Munich, as opposed to sent to me directly, if an eBay seller uses the GSP).

Try to build up batches to decrease the shipping cost per book!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DavidTheDavid private msg quote post Address this user
Ya, if I want to sell something and it's a desirable comic, I'll slab it. My slabbing for selling is usually just to cover the cost of the slabbing and try to break even on the comics I want to keep for myself.

Books that I want to preserve and present nicely for my personal collection.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector nadabig private msg quote post Address this user
Key issues, covers that I like and want to sort of display where I can. But I generally only submit what I feel strongly will be a 9.8 as most of what I have is modern and it's really not worth slabbing anything lower.

Just my opinion of course.

That said, I bought a random lot a while back and it has a Worlds Unknown Presents The Think Called Killdozer that I may consider doing because the cover is just so damn fun.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I send whatever I like. I usually try to include one book that I will or may sell that would cover the majority or complete cost of the grading.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Whatever higher grade books I am going to sell. I generally wouldn't slab a book I'm keeping for my collection unless there's a possibility of selling. I like to be able to read my comics...call me old fashioned...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stophmaster
Whatever higher grade books I am going to sell. I generally wouldn't slab a book I'm keeping for my collection unless there's a possibility of selling. I like to be able to read my comics...call me old fashioned...

nothing old fashioned about that. If I know a newer book will be a key issue I'll buy an extra copy (maybe two) and use one as a "read copy".

My books are mostly for me for now, but they will be something my kids can hopefully make a buck or two off of when my time here is done.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Only books I would sell or ones I really want protected. If I'm able to get Wolverine 1-4 signed by Frank Miller in September I'll be getting them all slabbed
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
Each person has there reason on what they like to slab. As for me I have a small collection and most of the ones I want to get slabbed are the key issues that I have, I also have some that have signatures so I want to protect these signatures.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
For myself. key issues and old books id like graded so their grade is set. Last books I got graded was Justice league of America 1 and Timely Sub-mariner 16. Only rare and key issues id get graded.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadabig
Key issues, covers that I like and want to sort of display where I can. But I generally only submit what I feel strongly will be a 9.8 as most of what I have is modern and it's really not worth slabbing anything lower.

That said, I bought a random lot a while back and it has a Worlds Unknown Presents The Think Called Killdozer that I may consider doing because the cover is just so damn fun.

I love this cover. I actually remember the tv movie. It was yellow and didn't have the eyes, and it didn't talk. I think they killed it but tricking it to drive onto a metal plate that was hooked up to some generator and they fried it. Is it the same way in the book?
Post 11 IP   flag post
My first one TMNT#1 was done purely, at first, just to preserve it. It came really close from being damaged a few times (once my dog almost peed on it). Now, seeing how cool it looked, I started grabbing other books that I think would look good on display instead of in a long box. I have even graded books that cost more to grade then the book is actually worth.

I also, only try to grade books that I could get in a Trade Compilation. I like reading them so if I can get the story in a Trade, then I can slab the book. There are books that I want to get slabbed but have never been reprinted or not even digital. Then I am stuck in what to do. Luckily I have plenty of other books that are in Trades.

Now I am trying to take a lesson from the pros here. I am trying to submit a batch I want to grade with at least one book I am planning to sell to cover the costs. Problem is, when they look that good slabbed, I want to keep them all.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector joelzstuff private msg quote post Address this user
I usually get the oldest & poorest condition key issues graded 1st. This way I know that they are safely preserved.

Sometimes, I like to get my multiple issues graded 1st, if feel like I can make a profit. I just my 4 Detective Comic 23.2 3D Lenticular covers graded. I'll keep one of the 9.8s and sell the other 3 on eBay once the Suicide Squad movie comes out... Hopefully making a profit
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector joelzstuff private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Reminds me of the 1980s movie Maximum Overdrive. lol
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

Oh my gosh!!!! I can't believe I found the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3y-SRsNPI
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like to slab a book except to get the yellow or red labels. No sense turning pages to judge it just to have it cracked again after a signing I figure the fewer times it's touched the better.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
Since I am only getting books slabbed for me, I just pick books I like. Some are key issues (or what I think are/will be keys), some of my signed stuff, some of my OA covers. and so far one for the red label. Everyone has a different reason for doing it. Do what you cab afford, and/or makes you happy. That way you do not look back and regret getting a book graded.
Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Collect what you like and grade what you like. That way, if you're stuck with it, at least it's something you don't mind hanging on to for a while.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector WitchKing private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for all your answers :o)
That's very instructive.
Till then i only got 4 slabs, 2 of them because i liked the covers and 2 to sell someday.

By the way, would you choose to slab variants only based on their ratio ? Such as 1:25, 1:50 and so on ?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I throw a stack of comics up in the air and let them fall to the floor. The ones that show no damage...I slab those.
Post 20 IP   flag post
There is no right or wrong really. And you will get differing theories on slabbing books to sell. I have one person that is adamantly anti-grading. He feels if you find a book that is worth something, just use the money to buy more copies. I personally have experienced otherwise, especially on short run variants of 1000 or less.

Unless it was something I really wanted for myself, I probably wouldn't grade a 1:25 or 1:50 to flip. Those books are likely still going to be in the thousands of prints.

People will post agreeing with me. People will post in disagreement. No one is really right, no one is really wrong. Unless they disagree with me. Then they're wrong.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchKing
Thank you for all your answers :o)
That's very instructive.
Till then i only got 4 slabs, 2 of them because i liked the covers and 2 to sell someday.

By the way, would you choose to slab variants only based on their ratio ? Such as 1:25, 1:50 and so on ?

Good question. I am sure the Dealers here would because they are more valuable. I would only do it to protect my investment in case I do what to sell. That said, I have been known to slab common over variant just because I like the cover.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Key books, rare books, variants, classic covers or storylines. It really just depends. I'm a fan I'd slabbing what you like and not justifying it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I slab anything that is potentially worth money. My first submission was filled with over 100 books and after that experience I am trying to be more careful with the way I pick what to slab as I don't have an inheritance of money for slabbing.lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
598062 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?