Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Rise and fall of comic prices4688

Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
So I just bought the killing joke 9.4 for 50 bucks. Right before the movie I swear that would of been a 200 dollar comic. Did the movie hurt the value? What are some other comics that were really high and then the bottom fell out on in y’alls opinion.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Off the top of my head

Peter Panzerfaust 1
Nowhere Men 1
Chew 2
Batman (New 52) 1
Suicide Squad (New 52) 1
MArvel Team Up 95
Avengers 144
Longshot 1
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Outcast !!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige31
So I just bought the killing joke 9.4 for 50 bucks. Right before the movie I swear that would of been a 200 dollar comic. Did the movie hurt the value? What are some other comics that were really high and then the bottom fell out on in y’alls opinion.

Wow, great buy. I need a copy myself.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Outcast !!!

That book did this...

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
X-Factor 5 and 6, Man of Steel 18.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
X-Factor 5 and 6, Man of Steel 18.

Man of Steel 17 too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Batman 59
Post 8 IP   flag post
Brave and Bold 25
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Harley Quinn 1 Pink Bulletproof variant got as high as $1500 in 9.8 before it dropped.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Outcast !!!

That book did this...

The funny thing is that Season one was outstanding.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Quote:
Outcast !!!

That book did this...

The funny thing is that Season one was outstanding.

That book was a perfect micro example of the 1990's comic market. A ton of people buying multiple copies. A ton of hype. A ton of expectations of making a killing off it when it got resold. Then reality hit.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:

I think one thing about Killing Joke was that it was so sturdily built that there are a ton of copies in 9.8 and 9.6 so it behaves a lot like a modern book, price-wise.

I bought my copy like 15 years ago for $10, read it a few times, had it graded and
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I just snatched up X-factor 6. Glad I didn't get it right before the movie. The movie was a real disappointment. One of the best villains and he was turned into a power ranger villain.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I sold my copy of killing joke for $$$$ A book I bought at cover in the week of it's release in a comic book store.
Fantastic read with great artwork. But it has been reprinted multiple times, and turned into a trade.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Back then in high school I was a speculator of books. Remember Batman a death in the family.
bought many books at cover and was flipping sets out at school for $50 a set. In the end I was left with one set
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:

I think one thing about Killing Joke was that it was so sturdily built that there are a ton of copies in 9.8 and 9.6 so it behaves a lot like a modern book, price-wise.

I bought my copy like 15 years ago for $10, read it a few times, had it graded and

That is a rare exception.

The book is often downgraded by fingerprints and/or light stuffing, on it's BC, which is virtually all black.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids I don’t know. The census shows nearly half of the first print’s graded copies graded 9.8, a proportion I’ve not seen in any book of the same time period.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Ah, you have a point there.

I do see quite a lot of slabbed 9.6's though.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
I just snatched up X-factor 6. Glad I didn't get it right before the movie. The movie was a real disappointment. One of the best villains and he was turned into a power ranger villain.

They badly botched Sabretooth in the first X-Men movie but went back and did him right in the Wolverine solo flick.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

They badly botched Sabretooth in the first X-Men movie but went back and did him right in the Wolverine solo flick.

In the Wolverine solo movie they protrayed Sabertooth correctly until the last 15 mins of the movie. I couldn't figure out why he'd have helped Logan.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In the Wolverine solo movie they protrayed Sabertooth correctly until the last 15 mins of the movie. I couldn't figure out why he'd have helped Logan.

Sabretooth enjoys tormenting and fighting with Logan. Every year on Logan's birthday Sabretooth kills a woman that he loves.

As the Joker said to Batman, Sabretooth would say to Logan "why would I want to kill you? You complete me."
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Harley Quinn 1 Pink Bulletproof variant got as high as $1500 in 9.8 before it dropped.

That is just simply ridiculous
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids I don’t know. The census shows nearly half of the first print’s graded copies graded 9.8, a proportion I’ve not seen in any book of the same time period.

Another reason that there is upwards of half of the first prints graded at 9.8 is because the book routinely fetches around $50 on ebay, in raw VF+ to NM.

So yeah, most people know that 1st Prints of this book sell at respectable figures so if they think the book is not a solid 9.8 candidate, it is a washout in terms of grading costs, if it comes back as a 9.4.

This book has sold well pretty consistently since it came out.

It ebbs and flows in FMV, for sure but if you look at the overall average sale price since CGC opened their doors, it is probably around $175 in 9.8.

GOCOLLECT only goes back so far, with reported CNCS sales.

Bolland covers* generally sell well in raw, this book is no exception to that fact.

This book has had 3 nig spikes (followed by drops to prior FMV level) in demand, over the last to 2-3 years.

Mostly due to movie hype involving the Joker, Harley, Barbara Gordon and the Suicide Squad.

The spikes in demand, when this book pushes $300 or above (above $300 qualifies as outlier sales) in 9.8, make for an upticks in raw sales.

Ostensibly, this leads to less 9.8 candidates being subbed.

A lot of people also grade screen modern keys.

These spikes tend to last about a month, than the book drops down to around $175-$200 in FMV for slabbed 9.8's.

In 9.6 slabbed, it is at best a $100 book.

In 9.0 to 9.4 slabbed, it makes little sense to pay $30 for grading.
Post 24 IP   flag post

Especially the Bolland covers which are considered as be copper age "classic covers".

Such as this book, and Wonder Woman #72...for starters...I'm not going to name the others, intil I get them slabbed in December 😉👌

I don't call myself the CopperAgeKids, for nothin'., just sayin'...

The only CGC or CBCS Forum member that (in my not so humble opinion) knows the intricacies of the copper age market as I well as I do,or better than I, is DocBrown.

P.S.

I am really not this arrogant in person...I swear 🤣🤣😂😂
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Funny you mention Sabretooth. He is my favorite villain . Yeah his original screen debut was embarrassing. Wolverine origins representation of him was decent but once again the movie was bad. Would love a super sadistic version of him to make it onto the screen. Throw him in one of the New Mutants movie and make him a serial killer. That would go great with the horror theme.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

dielinfinite is right about this - print color doesn't factor in much here. These prestige-format squarebound books are tough to find in low-grade, and pull 9.8's easy, due to higher quality print stock and production.

Also, @bige31, to answer the original question, pricing for this book has been unaffected by the movie. Nostomania trend chart attached - you can see 9.8s have consistently sold for on average $150 to $200 for years.

Post 27 IP   flag post
If Dienfinite is right about the cardstock cover and paper stock "protecting" of Killing Joke 1st prints from pulling leas than 9.8, than why does the same not hold true for a book like Miller's Dark Knight Returns #1, 1st print?

The extra gloss used on KJ 1st Prints opposed to the normal amount of gloss applied to DKR#1 1st Prints DOES help with "protecting" the book, but not nearly as much as you both contend.

Both books were printed using the same cardstock cover stock and interior paper stock.

I will tell you why that thesis of his is wrong, again.

It is due to the average selling point of the Killing Joke in raw VF to raw NM+ being fairly close in the prices of slabbed copies in grades below 9.8.

This fact disincentives people from subbing copies which they believe are not strong 9.8 candidates.

The low sale for a CGC 9.8 1st print of the Killing Joke for 2017 is $106.

DKR #1 low sale in 9.8 is at least triple thst figure, I can check to confirm but I am sure that these 2 books are equally common, across the board, in all grades.

Nostroma is not the best place to track trends on CGC books, their data pool is limited, compared to GPA.

The GPA high for this book (killing joke cgc 9.8 1st print) in both 2017 and 2016 is recorded at $300.

The GPA low for 2017 is $106.Last sale was at $135.

This reinforces my contention thst the majority of copies of this book that are subbed for grading would be those thst are strong 9.8 candidates.

This book has overall been trended downward, for the past 12 months.

Look at the GPA sales trends.Or GOCOLLECT, for the past 2 years.
Post 28 IP   flag post
To use CGC Cencus data as an indication of a books rarity is a flawed premise.

CGC even says as much, on their Cencus home page.

Cencus data on rarity is more useful on G.A. books.Or some more recent bronze age books like Demon #1, which has 0 recorded sales in GPA at 9.8.

E an with a book like Demon #1, there could be 100 copies, standing in the middle of a long box, in storage somewhere. Unlikely, but the point remains.

The CGC cencus good indication of rarity on high dollar SA keys in high grade, even than it cannot be used as an absolute measure.

There has to be , for the most part, a financial incentive to sub books for grading.

That is a huge factor when looking at the CGC Census as a causation & correlation tool.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:

This right here actually proves my point, and the rest of this posters idea, that the 9.4 he bought for $50, should somehow be worth around $200.

He paid virtually the same price that a Top Rated eBay seller would get for a raw 9.4 copy.

Even a eBay seller like myself, who has all of 269 positive feedbacks, with no negatives or neutrals, could get $50 for a raw 9.4 KJ 1st print.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597875 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?