Beckett / BGS4657

Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Still.

Still............what?

If you have a point, then make it.
Post 151 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
With that said, it doesn't look like Entrust or Beckett is public at present.

Which is my point, I'm not here to get into a legal conglomerate argument over the structures of LLCs, LLPs, B Corporations, C Corporations, or the like. I just thought you should all know there is no stock currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Still............what?

I just did. Twice.
Post 152 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
But but but .... what about the label? My god what horrors if the label changes? I mean I mean ... the label is vital. What if Beckett changes it to red? Will they change vsp to blue? What if the font on the label changes and it doesn't look like my other slabs? This is horrible... just horrible.

Post 153 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
LLCs may be publicly traded. Fortress (FIG) and Och-Ziff (OZM) come to mind.

lulz
Post 154 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
But but but .... what about the label? My god what horrors if the label changes? I mean I mean ... the label is vital. What if Beckett changes it to red? Will they change vsp to blue? What if the font on the label changes and it doesn't look like my other slabs? This is horrible... just horrible.

People like what they like. Framing a fine piece of art is a well-thought out process and I don't see it being any different for expensive comic books. Once encased, the book and slab become one presentation piece and should complement each other as well as the other pieces in the collection.
Post 155 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Which is my point, I'm not here to get into a legal conglomerate argument over the structures of LLCs, LLPs, B Corporations, C Corporations, or the like. I just thought you should all know there is no stock currently.

Quote:
Still............what?

I just did. Twice.

More like you stated a fact. OK, Entrust & Beckett are not public companies and there is no public stock. I agree and no argument from me before or now.

So what and who cares if they are public or private?
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Quote:
Still............what?

I just did. Twice.

More like you stated a fact. OK, Entrust & Beckett are not public companies and there is no public stock. I agree and no argument from me before or now.

So what and who cares if they are public or private?

It changes things immensely. If they were publicly held I think a lot of the fears people have expressed would be more legitimate.
Post 157 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
LLCs may be publicly traded. Fortress (FIG) and Och-Ziff (OZM) come to mind.

lulz

And? Again, no point.
Post 158 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of IPO's, Funko has proposed a $200M IPO

FUNKO IPO

NASDAQ IPO info
Post 159 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
It changes things immensely. If they were publicly held I think a lot of the fears people have expressed would be more legitimate.

Honest question, why do you think the fears would be more legitimate?
Post 160 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Not saying this will happen but for an additional 3.00 per graded card Beckett allows for a personalized label in their card grading/slabbing. That means you could set-up your own pedigree if it comes over here.

That would be so sweet!!!!

I would love this. "Orbit City Collection"
Post 161 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'd even pay another $5 if I could get my logo on it.
Post 162 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
For those buying / selling cards how does the personalization affect resale, if at all?
Post 163 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Honest question, why do you think the fears would be more legitimate?

Because publicly held companies are beholden to stock holders and the rope is much shorter. Stock holders only care about the bottom line.
Post 164 IP   flag post
True, but don't discount the tremendous resources that come with tapping the public markets. Not saying that applies here at all, but also not saying it would be bad if it did.
Post 165 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
Somewhere @DarthLego is repeatedly chanting "Nothing is Impossible..."
Post 166 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Hang on...this train is just starting to roll...

Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
True, but don't discount the tremendous resources that come with tapping the public markets. Not saying that applies here at all, but also not saying it would be bad if it did.

Of course, but I guaranty the rope is much shorter when the bottom line is the only thing that matters.

Without knowing any details this appears to be an infusion of resources that will help CBCS expand their business in several ways. We won't know until we know.
Post 168 IP   flag post
Quote:
Because publicly held companies are beholden to stock holders and the rope is much shorter. Stock holders only care about the bottom line.

Many private companies do have stock and stock holders. It's just that the stock is private stock and the stock holder pool is much smaller. These private companies care very much about the bottom line. Every bit as much as a public traded company, maybe even more so. (Yes, I've had some experience with a private company that has stockholders.) That is why I didn't and don't understand the big deal over whether it's a public or private company.

I have no idea if Beckett is one of these private companies. But whether they do or don't, I'm sure that whoever is making decisions there are very concerned with the bottom line.
Post 169 IP   flag post
@Lonestar, I take @Logan510's point to be simply that public scrutiny provides a while host of other considerations that could upset the culture and business the company has already established.
Post 170 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Copperagekids did you really just say you base your business opinion on a TV show? You do realize even reality shows are staged to a degree.

Small business takeovers can go generally one of three ways. I have been on all sides.

1. The Cash cow is infused with capital and any help that it needs under its own model, and is left alone to produce cash. This is the rarest of all takeovers and hardly ever happens.

2. The parent company completely envelopes the purchased company, fully integrating its own systems, styles of management, etc (methods and means), in the end coming away with as many of their customers they can retain,and possibly a few products.

3. Think combination of the above two. Integrate some systems, people, cash, etc yet without re-branding.

From what we have heard from CBCS, we are looking at closer to number three. This could be a good thing, depending on who starts calling the shots.

I too have been at companies that have been bought by larger companies. I'd bet on #3 being what happens here. I don't see any upside for Beckett to do away with the CBCS brand name, so I don't think that will happen.

Completely agreed with Lone star on this.
Post 171 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

True growth in any entertainment industry means "using" the product ie reading the books. Once sealed semi-permanently any given comic book's ability to generate new fans (which only comes from reading the stuff) is killed on the vine without new seeds to germinate for New Generation Fans.

Not that I'm suggesting any studies have been done, but if they were, I suspect we'd find a good majority of the people who buy slabbed books do so because they are already fans of comics because they read them.

Despite the protestations of many for two decades, slabbing didn't herald the end of collecting or new collectors.

Slabs, after all, can be opened.
Post 172 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Wow gone for a few days and come back to this news I think we will see how this all plays out but if CBCS was having trouble making payroll and paying the bills this could turn out one way. If CBCS saw a merger as a way to expand and grow quickly with more capital behind then this could play out another way. Keep in mind if what CBCS was doing wasn't enough to keep the lights on and this was a mercy buying things are going to change and rather quickly I assume. If this was a merger to infuse capital and the owners of CBCS are shareholders and not employees then this should put CBCS's upgrades into warp speed. I think by early next year we should be able to figure out how this all played out just by what happens in the next few months.
Post 173 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Despite the protestations of many for two decades, slabbing didn't herald the end of collecting or new collectors.

Slabs, after all, can be opened.

I never could understand that argument.

"Comics shouldn't be in slabs! They're meant to be read! If they're in a slab you can't read them!"

Well what about all the collectors who bag-and-board their collection? You can't read a comic while it's in a bag-and-board.

"But you can take it out of the bag-and-board and read it!"

You can take it out of the slab and read it, as well.
Post 174 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Oh and concerning my post above I think this is a good thing for the Comic book grading market as a whole. If CBCS was able to change the way CGC did things with the resources they had at their disposal. Just think what they would be able to do now with greater resources.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@BLBcomics All comics are worthless until they arenโ€™t, so I donโ€™t think your argument has merit. Recent examples 1st Deadpool and 1st Harley.

Ok, two funny books out of tens of thousands.

Query remains the same which remains unanswered which is why having a "registry" makes otherwise "worthless" comics certified in to 9.8 worth money?

I make no "argument" here. My thought re building Next Generation of comics fans buying the paper products remains very valid. History stipulates same

In regards to the registry question, some books that don't really have much value can get a hefty price tag in a 9.8 because they are htf in that grade. People that go for top sets of certain runs really need those books so they'll pay a hefty premium for them. Hope that makes sense & answers your question

Hello Deadpoolica & KingNampa

I appreciate the feedback and I do understand the rationale presented. My point (I think) is "registry" is misleading in that more than 97% of the comic books are not slabbed up ergo the census counts that way are skewed to make for false god doctrines.

CGC "census" BS much less GPA supposed sales of CGC cert products are also subject to manipulations which makes for novice investor collectors to be taken advantage of.

Come on, Bob. These comments are irresponsible. Is GPA perfect? No, of course not...people are involved. Is the census perfect? No, for the same reason.

But that doesn't mean they're useless, or "subject to manipulations" on a scale that would render them useless. And while I don't advocate people trying to take advantage of others, don't the "novices" bear some responsibility to educate themselves...?

I don't even know what "skewed to make for false god doctrines" means.

There are about 4 million comics slabbed. That's the print run of a single book...Superman #75...or many of the WDC&S issues from the early 50's. There are probably no less than 10 BILLION comic books still extant. The reality is that 99.5% of all comics ever published will never see the inside of a slab. Slabbing will always be a drop in the bucket compared to what exists. But the other side of that is that there aren't tens of millions of ultra high grade (9.8+) copies just sitting out there, just waiting to be slabbed. That's the beauty of the FREE MARKET. If a book like Guardians of the Galaxy (1990) #32 sells for "worth seeking out" prices, then either the books will come to market...a la New Mutants #98, or Batman Adventures #12...or they won't, a la Wolverine (1988) #35.

That doesn't mean the market for these books is illegitimate. The people buying these for registry sets aren't doing so because they are "hoping to save for college." They're paying these prices for CONVENIENCE. It takes a hell of a lot of effort...and education...to find and make raw books be 9.8; the further back in time you go, the harder it is. These people aren't being "duped"...they're recognizing that their time is valuable, and it's better spent on other things, not chasing down potential copies in potential grades.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿป Is this new content or just 4 quoted posts?
Post 177 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿป Is this new content or just 4 quoted posts?

It's fixed. Typing "qyote" instead of "quote"...

Er, I mean, I don't know what you're talking about... (whistle)
Post 178 IP   flag post
Irresponsible?
Post 179 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
There's new stuff in there. Lets keep the personal attacks out of te thread though Doc, shall we? Bob has some decent opinions here sometimes, calling him irresponsible isnt cool.

Lets not get this one locked too pleeeasse
Post 180 IP   flag post
601450 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.