Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden Age

Beckett / BGS4657

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics All comics are worthless until they aren’t, so I don’t think your argument has merit. Recent examples 1st Deadpool and 1st Harley.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Not seeing any positives from this. Usually with a takeover employees get shuffled and prices are changed.

have to say the same takeover usually means where not doing so good, ( i could be wrong) if a company is doing good why would you want to be taken over? i also hope the labels dont change, i hope that good thing come out of this.
Post 127 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel I think A lot of us are worried a little about those good things that separate CBCS from everyone else. Prices, customer service, free grader notes, etc

It would be a very bad move on Beckett's part to change any of those things, people would have no reason to stick around.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@BLBcomics All comics are worthless until they aren’t, so I don’t think your argument has merit. Recent examples 1st Deadpool and 1st Harley.

Ok, two funny books out of tens of thousands.

Query remains the same which remains unanswered which is why having a "registry" makes otherwise "worthless" comics certified in to 9.8 worth money?

I make no "argument" here. My thought re building Next Generation of comics fans buying the paper products remains very valid. History stipulates same

Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Quote:

Query remains the same which remains unanswered which is why having a "registry" makes otherwise "worthless" comics certified in to 9.8 worth money?

I make no "argument" here. My thought re building Next Generation of comics fans buying the paper products remains very valid. History stipulates same

In regards to the registry question, some books that don't really have much value can get a hefty price tag in a 9.8 because they are htf in that grade. People that go for top sets of certain runs really need those books so they'll pay a hefty premium for them. Hope that makes sense & answers your question
Post 130 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics From my understanding, people get competitive about completing sets in a registry. So in order to complete a set in the registry, users will compete over otherwise unremarkable books that have been graded at a certain grade
Post 131 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the awards:

The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 (June 1938–1959)
The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960–1969)
The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970–1979)
The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980–1989)
The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990–present)
The Three Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)
The One Best Magazine Set
The One Best Custom Set
One Collector for Overall Achievement in Comics Collecting (based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)
Post 132 IP   flag post
We need a registry that recognizes both CGC and CBCS books.

Beckett, Stay true to CBCS's existing nature when designing this thing please!
Post 133 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Does anybody worry about what will be taken away that CBCS offers??

Yes, of course I and most (probably all) others on these forums are worried that what we are now getting from CBCS will fall off and be less after this. But I am patient and willing to see how it goes and not get hysterical. If the change is for the worse, then I'll stop using CBCS as will most others. Jumping up and down about it right now will do nothing.

Quote:
CBCS is a 5-7 million dollar business tops.

How do you know this? Source? If you going to make claims like this, back them up.

Quote:
How much do you think BECKETT bought CBCS for

Don't know and don't care. Yes, I do care how it will impact CBCS business and thus me, but really...

Quote:
and what type of bonus did Steve Borock get?

Again, don't care and to be blunt, none of your f@#!ing business.

Quote:
BECKETT will want to re-coop that money NOW not over time.

Not necessarily. Not all acquisitions are for a quick money grab. Some are, but just as often they are for strategic reasons or where a company sees another as undervalued with great potential.

Quote:
I see prices going up, charges for "Graders notes" and less turn around times.

Valid concern. Wait & see.

Quote:
How long will it take for BECKETT to train sports card graders to be comic book graders?

I think that CBCS could use some more graders. As long as they are trained by Steve Borock, Steve Ricketts or the current CBCS graders, and they are competent, who cares if they once or also grade sports cards. Hopefully this deal gets CBCS some long needed staff and help.

Quote:
I see this as if COKE bought out PEPSI. Do you really think COKE wouldn't want to change their new acquisitions formula!! No, I don't like this.

Not remotely comparable. But, no I don't think they'd change the formula. Pepsi has a distinct taste from Coke and there are die-hard fans of either. They'd be foolish to change Pepsi.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I have heard most non-compete clauses won’t hold up in court. You can’t deny a person an opportunity to be employed and earn a living.

This varies from situation to situation. Most have a sunset clause, and will be enforced if the person was compensated upon their departure, and not even that is ironclad. Typically, the amount paid has to be equal to what the person would have made over the length of time that the non-compete is enforceable.

Proprietary information is what is typically covered in most agreements. If I work for you making widgets, and signed a non-disclosure, then I am prevented from making widgets using technology or parts that are yours but not trademark or patent enforced. The agreement does not prevent me from making widgets, it just prevents me from making the exact same widget.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Rafel I think A lot of us are worried a little about those good things that separate CBCS from everyone else. Prices, customer service, free grader notes, etc

It would be a very bad move on Beckett's part to change any of those things, people would have no reason to stick around.

I hope you're right but from what I've seen with other take overs there are a lot of changes and we have two choices, except or go else where.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

They didn't buy the company not to make money. I have no idea what they paid or any of the details associated, nor do I have any idea what their ROI time frame is.

When the company I work for was bought out, things remained relatively the same for nearly two years and then sweeping changes were made..but we went from being a privately owned company to being owned by a corporation that has stock holders to answer to. Is Eli Global publicly held? I can't find any information saying they are.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS already listed on Entrust Global Group's Affiliates page:

Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
CBCS already listed on Entrust Global Group's Affiliates page:

I would be much less nervous if the announcement said bought out by Entrust Global, rather than bought out by Beckett. Beckett has their own ideas as to how to grade and encapsulate things, Global does not and thus would provide better peace of mind that the cash cow wouldnt be messed with much.

Could be a flub on their part, idk.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
than look at Bennett's stock price on the N.Y.S.E. , which spiked around at around 11AM- noon today i.e. when the press release of the acquisition of CBCS by Beckett, was issued

Got anything to back this up? As far as I can see, Beckett is not a public company
Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:
Quote:

In regards to the registry question, some books that don't really have much value can get a hefty price tag in a 9.8 because they are htf in that grade. People that go for top sets of certain runs really need those books so they'll pay a hefty premium for them. Hope that makes sense & answers your question

Hello Deadpoolica & KingNampa

I appreciate the feedback and I do understand the rationale presented. My point (I think) is "registry" is misleading in that more than 97% of the comic books are not slabbed up ergo the census counts that way are skewed to make for false god doctrines.

CGC "census" BS much less GPA supposed sales of CGC cert products are also subject to manipulations which makes for novice investor collectors to be taken advantage of.

The hobby as such is in dire need to generate grow Next Generation collectors. The only way to make that happen is via reading the innards of the comic book. The good stuff gets collected, the chafe falls to the floor to be discarded in to the dust bowls of history awaiting curious explorers down the path

Post 141 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You guys realize Beckett and Entrust Global are LLCs. A limited liability company, that is private and not publicly traded on the stock market. Now all of you guys are just talking out of your ass, sorry.
Post 142 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
As long as the cgc has a registry and CBCS dosen't, people will continue to submit more to the cgc. The registry makes worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher.

Asking what may be a dumb tourist query, but why would having a "registry" make worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher?

If any given comic book is not readily collected to begin with, having 9.8 copies of said book makes for artificial commodity which in turn is much easier to find Newtonian gravity, fall off the tree and crash to earth.

Certifying condition grades is essential for higher priced books to find common ground in sales/auctions wherein the buyer and seller do not know each other as trust finds its levels in the dealings.

To this day just a very small percentage of comics existing in collections and holdings have been slabbed up.

True growth in any entertainment industry means "using" the product ie reading the books. Once sealed semi-permanently any given comic book's ability to generate new fans (which only comes from reading the stuff) is killed on the vine without new seeds to germinate for New Generation Fans.

The Registry (and census) can give value to comics that are otherwise completely worthless. The books become in demand because collectors (completists) want them for their sets or they appear to be rare in grade. So, a graded book now has value where a raw copy didn't... kind of like Obadiah Oldbuck #1.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Here's the awards:

The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 (June 1938–1959)
The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960–1969)
The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970–1979)
The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980–1989)
The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990–present)
The Three Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)
The One Best Magazine Set
The One Best Custom Set
One Collector for Overall Achievement in Comics Collecting (based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)

OK, now this (all that is old is new again school) dinosaur understands "registry" which I had thought was the cert number ie registered with unique number.

Not trying to rain on any parade in this nano-sliver of (registry) collecting modes but this looks smacks feels tastes (like a quaking duck) a scam to increase biz cash flow in-take.

Now I am S.O.S. (Stuck On Stupid) wondering what best "presented" set with best "descriptive" text and image is?

I am going to channel Steve Ditko here to help me out!

Post 144 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Both Beckett and Entrust Global are privately held companies so don't get too excited, folks.
Post 145 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
You guys realize Beckett and Entrust Global are LLCs. A limited liability company, that is private and not publicly traded on the stock market. Now all of you guys are just talking out of your ass, sorry.

All? I only see one guy trying to say its public lol
Post 146 IP   flag post
Still.
Post 147 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
The Registry (and census) can give value to comics that are otherwise completely worthless. The books become in demand because collectors (completists) want them for their sets or they appear to be rare in grade. So, a graded book now has value where a raw copy didn't... kind of like Obadiah Oldbuck #1.

An optimistic view of the Registry would be that it highlights the rarity of our collectibles. Rarity is just as important as condition (if not more). A company that provides insight into both of these realms is better serving our interests.
Post 148 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I'm of the opinion that very, very little in this hobby is indeed rare. Expensive, yes. In demand, yes. Rare, no.
Post 149 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

LLCs may be publicly traded. Fortress (FIG) and Och-Ziff (OZM) come to mind. Even limited partnerships (LPs) may be public. So if you meant all LLCs are private, you're wrong.

With that said, it doesn't look like Entrust or Beckett is public at present.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Still.

Still............what?

If you have a point, then make it.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
With that said, it doesn't look like Entrust or Beckett is public at present.

Which is my point, I'm not here to get into a legal conglomerate argument over the structures of LLCs, LLPs, B Corporations, C Corporations, or the like. I just thought you should all know there is no stock currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Still............what?

If you have a point, then make it.

I just did. Twice.
Post 152 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
But but but .... what about the label? My god what horrors if the label changes? I mean I mean ... the label is vital. What if Beckett changes it to red? Will they change vsp to blue? What if the font on the label changes and it doesn't look like my other slabs? This is horrible... just horrible.

Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
LLCs may be publicly traded. Fortress (FIG) and Och-Ziff (OZM) come to mind.

lulz
Post 154 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
But but but .... what about the label? My god what horrors if the label changes? I mean I mean ... the label is vital. What if Beckett changes it to red? Will they change vsp to blue? What if the font on the label changes and it doesn't look like my other slabs? This is horrible... just horrible.

People like what they like. Framing a fine piece of art is a well-thought out process and I don't see it being any different for expensive comic books. Once encased, the book and slab become one presentation piece and should complement each other as well as the other pieces in the collection.
Post 155 IP   flag post
601464 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.