Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden Age

Beckett / BGS4657

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
SELL OUT!!!! Why couldn't BECKETT have bought out PGX or CGC!!! Not happy here.

All due respect, you clearly do not understand what any of this means.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids silence is better than b.s.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@CopperAgeKids silence is better than b.s.

If you have a valid criticism of what I have said ...than have at it, hoss.

All I see from you is a sum total of five words, that don't add up to anything of substance.

I have no ulterior motive to say what I say.

In fact, I wish I had such a motive.

If I had the dough to invest in the stock market, I would have done so at around 3:45 P.M. today.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/bdx

Edit:
Disregard that link.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
SELL OUT!!!! Why couldn't BECKETT have bought out PGX or CGC!!! Not happy here.

All due respect, you clearly do not understand what any of this means.

No disrespect taken. I'm old school and don't like (too much) change. I see BECKETT as a sports grading company only NOT a comic book grading company. I also see higher prices and lower quality in grading. But I don't own CBCS so it's not up to me on how the business is ran. I'm not a fan of CGC nor PGX, so I'm stuck with this whether I agree with it or not. This is just my opinion.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@CopperAgeKids Quote:

CBCS is not going to change a thing, with their label design.

Not a SINGLE THING.

As @KingNampa said, what are you basing this on? The earlier posting by @SteveRicketts ?

CaptainCanuck, I did not see that post that Ricketts made today, intil you brought it up.

All of my statements or "claims", were based on what I have already expressed in this thread.

Ricketts' post reinforces my statements and/or "claims"...in.my opinion.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@CopperAgeKids Quote:

CBCS is not going to change a thing, with their label design.

Not a SINGLE THING.

As @KingNampa said, what are you basing this on? The earlier posting by @SteveRicketts ?

CaptainCanuck, I did not see that post that Ricketts made today, intil you brought it up.

All of my statements or "claims", were based on what I have already expressed in this thread.

Ricketts' post reinforces my statements and/or "claims"...in.my opinion.

I'm leaning towards rebranding. Beckett is a well recognized name in collecting and they'll likely leverage that.

Borock said. “Infusing Beckett’s trusted brand and its talent in technology, marketing and global expansion into the market creates an even greater opportunity for CBCS to serve our great hobby.”
Post 81 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
#IBTL
Hoping for the best with this. Maybe Beckett can share some of their IT department.
Post 82 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
In my own opinion, this shows an astute a shrewd business move by Steve and he would not risk what he has built up here unless it was consistent with his vision of what he is trying to accomplish in comic grading services. CBCS has done well enough to now get the attention of a larger, more established company, and they themselves would not take the risk unless they believed Steve and CBCS to be a solid investment. It should turn out to be a win, win, win for everybody: Beckett, Steve and CBCS and most of all, us the consumer.
Post 83 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePalus via Facebook
All of us at CBCS are very excited about our transition into the Beckett Media and Entrust global group. CBCS will be able to provide better customer service, as well as improved products and services for our customers and the hobby. We have worked hard in the last three years to make CBCS a company that is trusted in the industry. Now we have the opportunity to make a greater impact in the market because of our partnership with Beckett Media and access to shared resources. I have already seen some posts on social media sites predicting that CBCS will change into some corporate machine, and turn to the dark side. I can assure you that CBCS will remain the same company that has always placed integrity and customers first. Beckett is a grading company, they understand our dedication to the comic book industry and our fanatical approach to advancing the hobby. The big difference is that many of the constraints we have faced are going to come off and the true potential of CBCS will start to emerge. Everyone.... strap in and prepare for one hell of a ride![quote]
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
It certainly is an interesting turn of events, no...?

I wonder if this board will go away, and members be required to sign up for Beckett's forum...
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector PurpleZeke private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, this thread is both shocking and interesting in hopefully a good way! Yes, Beckett has been a mainstay in the card collecting business for several decades. As a lifelong collector of sports cards, non sports cards and comics for sure I used to subscribe to their monthly football, baseball card price guides. Granted not sure if they even print those anymore so maybe I will be able to submit some old copies! Seriously though, as far as CBCS goes it does make one ponder whether all of shipping delays are due to having so much of a backlog waiting to be graded, and or the hurricane delays, etc... I hope CBCS is on the up and up with their customers. No big stake in this for sure, dropped off a few books at a convention in mid June and was told to expect in ten weeks until receipt of graded books, not in a rush even now. Though this news yesterday that I am getting caught up on makes me wonder if business is booming then why would they sell to Beckett? Best wishes CBCS and hope it's a good move for the future!
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'll just say this:

There's a lot of unfounded speculation on this thread. None of us have seen the agreement, none of us know what and what was not promised. There are too many unknown variables to make an educated guess of what may or may not happen.

The one thing we do know is that no company acquires another company without wanting a return on their investment.

If things go well, and Beckett gets what they want, then PROBABLY, little will change.

If things go bad, Beckett will PROBABLY want major changes.

Any changes, and the who makes them, is not information any of us are privy too.

Time will tell.
Post 87 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Copperagekids did you really just say you base your business opinion on a TV show? You do realize even reality shows are staged to a degree.

Small business takeovers can go generally one of three ways. I have been on all sides.

1. The Cash cow is infused with capital and any help that it needs under its own model, and is left alone to produce cash. This is the rarest of all takeovers and hardly ever happens.

2. The parent company completely envelopes the purchased company, fully integrating its own systems, styles of management, etc (methods and means), in the end coming away with as many of their customers they can retain,and possibly a few products.

3. Think combination of the above two. Integrate some systems, people, cash, etc yet without re-branding.

From what we have heard from CBCS, we are looking at closer to number three. This could be a good thing, depending on who starts calling the shots.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Copperagekids did you really just say you base your business opinion on a TV show? You do realize even reality shows are staged to a degree.

Small business takeovers can go generally one of three ways. I have been on all sides.

1. The Cash cow is infused with capital and any help that it needs under its own model, and is left alone to produce cash. This is the rarest of all takeovers and hardly ever happens.

2. The parent company completely envelopes the purchased company, fully integrating its own systems, styles of management, etc (methods and means), in the end coming away with as many of their customers they can retain,and possibly a few products.

3. Think combination of the above two. Integrate some systems, people, cash, etc yet without re-branding.

From what we have heard from CBCS, we are looking at closer to number three. This could be a good thing, depending on who starts calling the shots.

Got to agree with Shrewbeer. Also, CBCS will have the opportunity to try new things now.

IMO, CBCS would be missing a large amount of cash if they didn't offer a 28 character personalized label. That's 3 additional dollars per label if they follow what Beckett charges. I know I would put that on the books I intend to pass on to my son. Also, for a data entry person who types 50 wpm 28 characters is nothing and the expense to Beckett/CBCS pays for itself in a very short period of time. You don't even have to change the labels. You just add or use a field in your label software that hadn't been used before. Total no-brainer, and brings in a new revenue stream that you didn't offer before and nobody else does either.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
It certainly is an interesting turn of events, no...?

I wonder if this board will go away, and members be required to sign up for Beckett's forum...

You could look at it two ways...

1)CGC has different boards for their different collectors. Thus, no change.

or

2) It is redundant and a pull on your resources to have multiple boards/mods/expenses of storage of data and running a board. You pull the CBCS board into the Beckett Board which already has different areas of interest. Also, it brings clicks to Beckett's board if you combine them and allows them to move further up the search engine algorithms.

Both have benefits and both have negatives. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. I just hope the registry happens.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I for one think this is good news. To me it sounds like CBCS will finally have the means to give us the things we’ve been asking for i.e. magazine sized slabs, registry/census, better forum, more graders, faster TAT’s etc. It won’t happen over night but I believe it will happen. We are all basically die hard cbcs fans here. We should be supporting them, not automatically assuming the worst. They now have the opportunity to become better than they are. It’s up to them to use it. If they fail in the long run then by all means break out the pitch forks. Otherwise, we should stay the course and see where this goes. CBCS has never done me wrong and I’m going to support them until I have reason not to.
Post 91 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
As I read through the thread, and of all the concerns .... can someone explain to me why a label change is a concern?
Of all concerns ... a label? What does the label do? Isn't grading about the comic book?
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
As I read through the thread, and of all the concerns .... can someone explain to me why a label change is a concern?
Of all concerns ... a label? What does the label do? Isn't grading about the comic book?

I agree but the response you will most likely receive is aesthetics.
Post 93 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Good post. Regardless of what finally happens, one thing is certain, things will not stay the same. Hopefully they will get better, but the option of worse is always on the table.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I too have been at companies that have been bought by larger companies. I'd bet on #3 being what happens here. I don't see any upside for Beckett to do away with the CBCS brand name, so I don't think that will happen.
Post 95 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, #3 is probably the most likely option. They'll best be able to leverage CBCS already built customer base.

I think of the fine folks across the street and their labels and systems. They say nothing about CCG, NGC, PMG, or even CCS if that service was used.

Look at the Beckett card slab labels. They say nothing about Entrust or COINage or Goodwin. It just says Beckett even though their in Entrust's portfolio. I am sure that Beckett will still allow CBCS to operate on a BAU basis (at least for the time being) but now they'll be able to utilize BM's global reach, their existing infrastructure and potentially their 300+ employees
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector rdowdy95 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
I agree, #3 is probably the most likely option. They'll best be able to leverage CBCS already built customer base.

I think of the fine folks across the street and their labels and systems. They say nothing about CCG, NGC, PMG, or even CCS if that service was used.

Beckett, under Entrust, will still allow CBCS to operate on a BAU basis (at least for the time being) but now they'll be able to utilize BM's global reach, their existing infrastructure and potentially their 300+ employees

I am going to go with what this JLS guy says! Makes most sense if they keep the CBCS name and label! CBCS! A brand you can trust!

Anyone hear about that F Grade with the BBB? I blame Midwest Comic Guy!
Post 97 IP   flag post
@rdowdy95 lol 2 of the 4 negative reviews sound like they were written by the same person. Midwest spreading fake news again! lol
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
@rdowdy95 lol 2 of the 4 negative reviews sound like they were written by the same person. Midwest spreading fake news again! lol

What does that mean? Wanna share?
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
What does that mean? Wanna share?

It's an inside joke between he and I about a mutual friend. Completely tongue in cheek and nothing negative meant.
Post 100 IP   flag post
As things tend to vanish I took a screen shot
Post 101 IP   flag post
okay ... enjoy your screen shot

Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
okay ... enjoy your screen shot

I don't either. You made the "nothing negative comment".
Post 103 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I just want to be slab-happy. just my yellow label slabs for my dungeon. whether its CBCS or CGC, cept for PGX, they frucking suck.
Post 104 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Is it doom or destiny?
Post 105 IP   flag post
601338 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.