Beckett / BGS4657

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
As long as the cgc has a registry and CBCS dosen't, people will continue to submit more to the cgc. The registry makes worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher.

Worthless is a relative term.

But I do agree with the rest of what you have said.

Becketts' acquisition of CBCS will certainly speed up the CBCS Collector Set and CBCS Census.

That is not rocket science.

Likewise, this forum will certainly get re-formatted into a traditional message board forum, with subforums and so on.
This would be great. A golden age subforum would really be cool, for indepth discussion on publishers, pedigrees, genres, scarcity/rarity, classic covers and all the other things that make golden age so special. I think it's sorely needed here. Threads on two of the biggest sales in CBCS holders (Suspence Comics 3 Pennsylvania and Church copies -bragging rights for this company) got way more discussion and page one time across the street than here and that's a shame.

Bingo.

That is one of the many advantages to a traditional message board format.
Post 251 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user

In memoriam of Darth
Post 252 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids @Sagii

I'm ALL for sub-forums, as long as they keep the "newsfeed" type homepage. Subforums would be great, the organization is needed (especially to @Sagii's point)

One of the main reasons I dont use the CGC or other boards out there, one must seek out far to many different subforums to see whats actually new.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Just in my opinion, but I could care less about a registry. I don't look at the CGC registry I don't collect for it. So really could care less if CBCS makes one. Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about registries?
Post 254 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Just in my opinion, but I could care less about a registry. I don't look at the CGC registry I don't collect for it. So really could care less if CBCS makes one. Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about registries?

Wether you care ...or myself, or whomever else, cares about CGC's registry set is just not relevant.

Any subjective opinion is wholly immaterial to the driving force that the CGC Registry Set, has on the graded comic market.

Especially the modern comic market.

This is why you have a early 2000's run issue of Harley Quinn #23 in CGC Universal 9.8 , selling for $449 in an eBay auction in 2016.

Two Harley Quinn collectors, who need that one non-key run issue in CGC 9.8, to complete their Harley Quinn volume 1 Registry Set, bidding against each other.

I met one of those 2 bidders at Carbo's 2015 NY Big Apple con, I was trying to get a #23 pressed and subbed for him but never got around to it....IIRC, he offered me $150 or so, for a dead on 9.8 raw.

He was cool and level headed, a totally rational/normal dude who just really wanted to finish his HQ Vol. 1 set.

So yeah, it is a biggie.

There are numerous other examples of the impact that CGC's Registry Set has on the market.

CBCS is acutely aware of how important having their own Collector Set is.

Borock, Ricketts, West Stephan, Roman and Paulus know this. I did not telepathically grift this information from their brains but I can absolutely assure you that they are ACUTELY aware of this fact.

With Beckett's resources, CBCS will get this up much sooner than they would have, otherwise.
Post 255 IP   flag post

To add onto how much of a driving force this has on Regustry Set completists, here are the last 4 sales of CGC 9.8's of that particular book...after the lone eBay auction sale at $449 of a CGC 9.8 in 2016.

Oct-20-2017 $67 Cert# 1395904009
Sep-16-2017 $60 Cert# 1035852015
Feb-25-2017 $30 Cert# 0280854021
Jan-01-2017 $125 Cert# 0289772028
Post 256 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
To add onto how much of a driving force this has on Regustry Set completists, here are the last 4 sales of CGC 9.8's of that particular book...after the lone eBay auction sale at $449 of a CGC 9.8 in 2016.

Oct-20-2017 $67 Cert# 1395904009
Sep-16-2017 $60 Cert# 1035852015
Feb-25-2017 $30 Cert# 0280854021
Jan-01-2017 $125 Cert# 0289772028

Yep...people are nuts...if they just waited a little they could have saved hundreds
Post 257 IP   flag post
No,you missed my point.

I outright said that the guy that I spoke with,was level headed and cool.

Super nice guy, as well.

He is also a dealer, who sold a dozen or so NM #98 CGC 9.8's to Metropolis, for what the GPA 90 day average was at that time, to Metropolis, at that same con.

Call it $8000, cash in hand.

He also sold about a dozen Hulk 181 CGC slabs in eBay auction format a year or 2 back, maybe over the course of 2 weeks,

He is not "nuts", he knows the market very well.

He owns/operates a small comic/toy/Americana shop in Massachusetts.

All of that is largely besides the point, which is:

There were no CGC 9.8's available on the market, all of them were in PC's.

I am guessing it took both of those 2 guys a couple YEARS, to complete their HQ Vol.1 Registry sets.

That was a first to market sale price, which always commands a premium.

If that CGC 9.8 didn't sell for $449 in auction, the wait could have easily been another year, for the two of those cats to complete their Registry 9.8 sets.

Point being, there was little motivation to sub a HQ#23, intil a CGC 9.8 sold for $450.
Post 258 IP   flag post
Ah I see... there were no - or few before the first one which in turn incentivized people to submit that particular book where they might not have before in the false hope that they too could get $450

Still think it's crazy though!
Post 259 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC registry is one of their bigges marketing tools!

Whoever came up with the idea was a very clever sales person!
Post 260 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

+1, although I do understand the competitive aspect of it all. I am extremely competitive. To a fault. As long as I don't actually become a part of a registry, I am good. If I entered it at all, then I would go balls to the wall and try to "win".

And I spend enough on comic books already.
Post 261 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I agree. I've never looked at the census. A true collector has a pretty good idea what's out there. Since I mainly collect moderns now, I can look at print runs and determine my own value of a given book.

The census adds no tangible purpose other than to look at and say "one of those is mine".
Post 262 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

I agree. I've never looked at the census. A true collector has a pretty good idea what's out there. Since I mainly collect moderns now, I can look at print runs and determine my own value of a given book.

The census adds no tangible purpose other than to look at and say "one of those is mine".

Mixing the two up proves you arent lying and dont care about the registry either 😁

IF CBCS came out with a registry, I might just submit my newsstand collection for grading so I could try to own that category! It does add a bit of fun to collecting.

As for the census... im not gonna go down that rabbit hole of an argument lol 🍺
Post 263 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids Is there a reason why you changed your avatar to picture of the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson on his coffin? Did you know him, his wife, or a family member? As some of us have had friends, family, and loved ones who died in the service of our nation, I would like to express my appreciation for how you have chosen to honor a fallen member of the Armed Forces of the United States of America. It is only by remembering those that served before us that we grow stronger.
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently I don't know what the "registry" is. I just assumed CGC kept track of what comics were graded at a certain grade. Is there more to that?
Post 265 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Apparently I don't know what the "registry" is. I just assumed CGC kept track of what comics were graded at a certain grade. Is there more to that?

Poka just posted something the other day here, its a good place to start if you don't know what it is

Registry does not equal census. Two entirely different things, that seems to be where the confusion is
Post 266 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I don’t agree and feel that the CGC census is a nice resource.
Post 267 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
CGC Registry - An interactive web tool for displaying your comic collection and comparing it to other great collections.

CGC Census - A detailed report of the comics, magazines and lobby cards graded by CGC, listing the total number of CGC-certified examples in each grade for every issue
Post 268 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Registries and censuses mean little if you aren't getting your books back in a timely manner. The first focus should be finding a way to cut TATs. Perhaps they can now hire more people that can do the convention circuit while leaving the in house staff in Florida to grade books and, maybe, just maybe, have some of the tiers on time. CBCS could get a ton of business if they had the best TATs.
Post 269 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Registries and censuses mean little if you aren't getting your books back in a timely manner. The first focus should be finding a way to cut TATs. Perhaps they can now hire more people that can do the convention circuit while leaving the in house staff in Florida to grade books and, maybe, just maybe, have some of the tiers on time. CBCS could get a ton of business if they had the best TATs.

Ahmen to that!!!!
Post 270 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:

Just curious, but for what purpose is it a resource for?
Post 271 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder

That's a fair point, but I would hope that CBCS does not let quality suffer.

I do not use CGC based on the sole purpose of quality. I'd rather wait extra time and know I have a book that is properly graded versus a system that is just in it to get their numbers up.

PGX has a very short turnaround, but no real collector takes their grades seriously.

Yes. We all want quicker turnaround times, but it's not an easy fix.
Post 272 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Well, for me, it is a nice quick reference to get some kind of gauge of what's out there. I respect your opinion, you think it isn't useful but, for me, it is.
Post 273 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:

If you're a seller it can be invaluable in knowing if certain books have been graded in 9.8 and how many of them there are. Like others have stated in this thread, the first 9.8 copy of a normally lame book can go for stupid money because there are people out there trying to complete runs of titles in 9.8.
Post 274 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh wow brah u guys are still talking about this?
Post 275 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Purchasing books with names on them -- from the signature series or the like -- is not the same thing as purchasing a book with some unknown knucklehead's name on it, courtesy of customization. Just sayin.

This is correct. There is an obvious Market for Autographed books(I don't like them either).

I don't want a slabbed book with anybody's personalized label on it.

That includes any of these "Pedigree" Books. What a crock of crap that is. I don't care who's collection it comes from. That doesn't make it any nicer than any other book of the same grade.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Purchasing books with names on them -- from the signature series or the like -- is not the same thing as purchasing a book with some unknown knucklehead's name on it, courtesy of customization. Just sayin.

This is correct. There is an obvious Market for Autographed books(I don't like them either).

I don't want a slabbed book with anybody's personalized label on it.

That includes any of these "Pedigree" Books. What a crock of crap that is. I don't care who's collection it comes from. That doesn't make it any nicer than any other book of the same grade.

Yeah, those Church copies are such a sham...
Post 277 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
oh wow brah u guys are still talking about this?

I know, right? It's almost like talking incessantly about Rick and Morty. Oh, wait...
Post 278 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That was the joke, Jerry!
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The registry is actually the feature I want most from CBCS; like @conditionfreak, i am pretty competitive when it comes to my collection. I do not participate in the CGC registry because i know i just don't have enough CGC books to compete with any of those guys. But I have close to 1k CBCS slabs so I am very much looking forward to seeing how my PC stacks up against other heavy submitters.

I am also very excited about CBCS having a census, but that is more so because i feel it is necessary for people to at least have somewhat of a gauge of what is out there. I have definitely used the CGC census to influence my decision on submitting certain 80's & 90's books...I know those books don't hold heavy value but if they are rarely graded, it at least gives the high grade copies some sort of selling advantage
Post 280 IP   flag post
597869 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.