Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden Age

Beckett / BGS4657

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't that one of the goals in life to be able to make money doing something you love and enjoy.
Post 226 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
For those buying / selling cards how does the personalization affect resale, if at all?

I would not wish to purchase a book with somebody else's personalized name on it.

Yet, people like purchasing the books that are from famous pedigree collections, and pay for certain creator's yellow labels. Different likes for different types and some collectors PAY EXTRA for those books/pedigrees/labels.
Post 227 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Purchasing books with names on them -- from the signature series or the like -- is not the same thing as purchasing a book with some unknown knucklehead's name on it, courtesy of customization. Just sayin.
Post 228 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Purchasing books with names on them -- from the signature series or the like -- is not the same thing as purchasing a book with some unknown knucklehead's name on it, courtesy of customization. Just sayin.

The knucklehead (as you put it) paid for the custom label. After that it is an aftermarket item. Wanna change it? You send it back in to have it relabeled. Win win for the company.
Post 229 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater, yes, but it's totally different from sig series. Apples and oranges.
Post 230 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@Towmater, yes, but it's totally different from sig series. Apples and oranges.

I am referring to the special yellow label for certain creators that cost an additional 10.00. I don't understand why someone would pay the 10.00 additional dollars for one. A yellow label is a yellow label to me. However, I wouldn't call those a knucklehead for purchasing them. I just recognized that people within the hobby have different things that click for them.

Thus, I'm comparing an apple to an apple.
Post 231 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
FYI, some posts are going *poof*
Post 232 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Post 233 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Agreed. It comes off as a little amateur hour IMHO.
Post 234 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting to note that Entrust Global Group is under the umbrella of another entity called Eli Global. Take a look at their site, it may answer concerns that some of you may have about the intentions of this acquisition.

http://www.eliglobal.com
Post 235 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
As long as the cgc has a registry and CBCS dosen't, people will continue to submit more to the cgc. The registry makes worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher.

Worthless is a relative term.

But I do agree with the rest of what you have said.

Becketts' acquisition of CBCS will certainly speed up the CBCS Collector Set and CBCS Census.

That is not rocket science.

Likewise, this forum will certainly get re-formatted into a traditional message board forum, with subforums and so on.
Post 236 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Quote:
I like Destiny. I really don't think this came about from financial difficulties, I think this was a company continuing to find ways to grow and innovate and drive the market

I agree and don't think CBCS was having "financial difficulties" such as the company was in trouble of going under. But I do think that they probably had "financial difficulties" such that they didn't have the ready capital to expand, improve, grow, etc. the way they wanted.

I'm assume this was a deal that made sense for both sides.

+1
Post 237 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
I thank those of you who answered my query scenarios re the registry aspect of the comics hobby. Seems to have developed in the past decade? There have been some plausible positions put forth which allows some of us to comprehend the rivalry for best in cert class. It is the insane 9.8 price point justifications which gives pause for alarm.

There have been fads innumerable seen, experienced, helped invent even, come and go in the comics gig in the 50+ years since receiving my first RBCC #45 May 1966 age 13.

Post 238 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
ikewise, this forum will certainly get re-formatted into a traditional message board forum, with subforums and so on

Why?

Becketts is a dinosaur, and every time I've visited it says zero users online. CBCS pays good money for this software as well, and it seems to attract more action than the traditional format.
Post 239 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
ikewise, this forum will certainly get re-formatted into a traditional message board forum, with subforums and so on

Why?

Becketts is a dinosaur, and every time I've visited it says zero users online. CBCS pays good money for this software as well, and it seems to attract more action than the traditional format.

The card forums that people within the hobby visit aren't really a part of the companies that grade/slab cards. Well, the popular ones don't seem to be. Also, the card hobby is more fragmented. An example might be autographs. People who collect autos may never visit the same forums that people that collect cards sign into on the internet and vice versa. I know I do not and those that I know in the hobby don't either. So, by lumping comics in with the cards you might drive people to your website and you might capture more sales if those with comics have cards too. It depends on how intermingled you want the businesses. Only time will tell.
Post 240 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Agreed. It comes off as a little amateur hour IMHO.

I wonder how much extra revenue has been brought into Beckett since they started to offer the service?
Post 241 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I think this news is good. It should provide CBCS with more capital to improve their services and, hopefully, make better headway in reducing their turnaround times.
Post 242 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Why?

Maybe he saw it happen on Mad Men?

I don’t think he’s saying the CBCS forums will be mushed into the Beckett forums. I think he’s saying that with the infusion of capital that these forums will be revamped into something a little less stream of consciousness and more of a traditional style forum.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a separate section for sales?
Post 243 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why?

I don’t think he’s saying the CBCS forums will be mushed into the Beckett forums. I think he’s saying that with the infusion of capital that these forums will be revamped into something a little less stream of consciousness and more of a traditional style forum.

Darth has a classic sub-forum style @ theslablife, but yet the main page is a feed of most recent posts like this forum. Its a great combo of both. I'd hate to see the "feed" go away here, everyone automatically seeing everything promotes good conversation.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
For those buying / selling cards how does the personalization affect resale, if at all?

I would not wish to purchase a book with somebody else's personalized name on it.

I sure wouldn't. Also, what's to prevent someone from submitting a yellow label and then having it personalized with "from the collection of" whoever signed it. If there is money to be made the scammers will surely come out.
Post 245 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yes it would, entirely agree.

Quote:

Darth has a classic sub-forum style @ theslablife, but yet the main page is a feed of most recent posts like this forum. Its a great combo of both. I'd hate to see the "feed" go away here, everyone automatically seeing everything promotes good conversation.

I don't know anything about the Darth site but you're right about
the "auto feed" being very user friendly and very useful.
Post 246 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:

I sure wouldn't. Also, what's to prevent someone from submitting a yellow label and then having it personalized with "from the collection of" whoever signed it. If there is money to be made the scammers will surely come out.

There are CGC yellow label books on the market that are from the collections of certain artist. I own one from Frank Miller that states it came out of his collection and is remarked. I bought it because it was cheaper to get it that way than to pay the signing fees, shipping, and grading fees if I did it myself. I don't know what the hoops that those that sub them must jump through to get that from the other company but I do think that there are checks and balances on that.
Post 247 IP   flag post
I'd like to know if there are plans for Beckett or one of the other companies to enter into the auction market on comics.
Post 248 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
As long as the cgc has a registry and CBCS dosen't, people will continue to submit more to the cgc. The registry makes worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher.

Becketts' acquisition of CBCS will certainly speed up the CBCS Collector Set and CBCS Census.

Likewise, this forum will certainly get re-formatted into a traditional message board forum, with subforums and so on.
This would be great. A golden age subforum would really be cool, for indepth discussion on publishers, pedigrees, genres, scarcity/rarity, classic covers and all the other things that make golden age so special. I think it's sorely needed here. Threads on two of the biggest sales in CBCS holders (Suspence Comics 3 Pennsylvania and Church copies -bragging rights for this company) got way more discussion and page one time across the street than here and that's a shame.
Post 249 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why?

Yeah Logan, that is what I am saying.
Post 250 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Quote:

This would be great. A golden age subforum would really be cool, for indepth discussion on publishers, pedigrees, genres, scarcity/rarity, classic covers and all the other things that make golden age so special. I think it's sorely needed here. Threads on two of the biggest sales in CBCS holders (Suspence Comics 3 Pennsylvania and Church copies -bragging rights for this company) got way more discussion and page one time across the street than here and that's a shame.

Bingo.

That is one of the many advantages to a traditional message board format.
Post 251 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user

In memoriam of Darth
Post 252 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids @Sagii

I'm ALL for sub-forums, as long as they keep the "newsfeed" type homepage. Subforums would be great, the organization is needed (especially to @Sagii's point)

One of the main reasons I dont use the CGC or other boards out there, one must seek out far to many different subforums to see whats actually new.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Just in my opinion, but I could care less about a registry. I don't look at the CGC registry I don't collect for it. So really could care less if CBCS makes one. Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about registries?
Post 254 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Just in my opinion, but I could care less about a registry. I don't look at the CGC registry I don't collect for it. So really could care less if CBCS makes one. Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about registries?

Wether you care ...or myself, or whomever else, cares about CGC's registry set is just not relevant.

Any subjective opinion is wholly immaterial to the driving force that the CGC Registry Set, has on the graded comic market.

Especially the modern comic market.

This is why you have a early 2000's run issue of Harley Quinn #23 in CGC Universal 9.8 , selling for $449 in an eBay auction in 2016.

Two Harley Quinn collectors, who need that one non-key run issue in CGC 9.8, to complete their Harley Quinn volume 1 Registry Set, bidding against each other.

I met one of those 2 bidders at Carbo's 2015 NY Big Apple con, I was trying to get a #23 pressed and subbed for him but never got around to it....IIRC, he offered me $150 or so, for a dead on 9.8 raw.

He was cool and level headed, a totally rational/normal dude who just really wanted to finish his HQ Vol. 1 set.

So yeah, it is a biggie.

There are numerous other examples of the impact that CGC's Registry Set has on the market.

CBCS is acutely aware of how important having their own Collector Set is.

Borock, Ricketts, West Stephan, Roman and Paulus know this. I did not telepathically grift this information from their brains but I can absolutely assure you that they are ACUTELY aware of this fact.

With Beckett's resources, CBCS will get this up much sooner than they would have, otherwise.
Post 255 IP   flag post
598060 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.