Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Good Morty Thead Redux- PLEASE Be Civil4650

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
@DocBrown

My jaw just dropped when I saw that counterfeit X-Men 94.
Do you have any other info about this ?

Other than the date it was graded, 12/17/2008, no.

Here's a thread about it:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/166741-x-men-94-counterfeit/

I laughed when I looked up the registration on the census. It's $8 for grader's notes.

For a counterfeit book.

lol
Post 476 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

You're one in a million, fo sho!
Post 477 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Same.
Post 478 IP   flag post
lol

No credit for the credit given. Gotcha.
Post 479 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Spoke with Justin yesterday and today about The Good Morty. He was aware fakes were floating around. As soon as it was brought up he asked me “Do you know how to tell the real ones from the fakes?” In which he answered the question right along with me stating “The real ones only have one staple.”

Of course more has to be backing that determination but it’s a start from Justin himself. He also stated he will be helping the grading company in whatever way he can. How or in what way I’m not sure but that’s pretty awesome of him.

Awesome con by the way!
Post 480 IP   flag post

Collector Garnett21k private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
Spoke with Justin yesterday and today about The Good Morty. He was aware fakes were floating around. As soon as it was brought up he asked me “Do you know how to tell the real ones from the fakes?” In which he answered the question right along with me stating “The real ones only have one staple.”

Of course more has to be backing that determination but it’s a start from Justin himself. He also stated he will be helping the grading company in whatever way he can. How or in what way I’m not sure but that’s pretty awesome of him.

Awesome con by the way!

This is awesome sauce!!! (pun intended)
Post 481 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I take issue with CBCS declaring "these can be so easily, and convincingly counterfeited".

How what can be can be so easily, and convincingly counterfeited?

You don't even have a genuine, certified, "real" one to compare them to.
Post 482 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Why didn’t you have Justin sign the back of the good morty book?

Post 483 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@IntoAnother so anything with more than one staple is fake?
Post 484 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

That is what Justin Roiland himself stated to me.

He also said that he wanted to include The Good Morty in all the cases and not just the first release/printing of the DVD and Blu Rays but they refused to do it. So no that are not from a second printing, they are fake.
Post 485 IP   flag post
If only there were companies that specialized in this... Oh, wait.
Post 486 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

He also said that he wanted to include The Good Morty in all the cases and not just the first release/printing of the DVD and Blu Rays but they refused to do it. So no that are not from a second printing, they are fake.

That's interesting.

But why would a bootlegger go to the trouble of making fake booklets?
Post 487 IP   flag post
I wished you video recorded your encounter with Justin. That's very insightful news if true
Post 488 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting.

Not being one of the bootleggers it’s only an assumption on my part but I’d assume it was more than likely to make it look as real as possible next to the legitimate copies.

Not surprising. Fakes are made on different quality levels for many other items.
Post 489 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

As valuable as Justin's input it, it's still just one piece of the puzzle.

What was his participation in the production of these things? I don't mean as the writer, I mean did he have anything to do with ordering these from the printer?

Dave Sim ordered Cerebus from the printer, and knows how many were printed, how, on what type of paper, etc.

Same with Eastman and Laird with Turtles.

Same with Linsner and CFD.

If Roiland had little to nothing to do with the actual printing of these books, I'm not sure how he can definitively say "such and such is fake", ESPECIALLY if there are foreign licensees involved. If he DID order these himself, then he would be in a better position to know.

Who is "they" the Roiland was referring to...? It seems that "they" were the ones making the decisions, not him.
Post 490 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting.

Not being one of the bootleggers it’s only an assumption on my part but I’d assume it was more than likely to make it look as real as possible next to the legitimate copies.

Not surprising. Fakes are made on different quality levels for many other items.

Agreed!
Post 491 IP   flag post
Collector pjray55 private msg quote post Address this user
Edit
Post 492 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting.

Sure it's surprising. What you guys in the "these are fakes" crowd have never done is explain why someone would go to the trouble of making fakes.

"Just because" isn't an answer. "They're dedicated to their craft" also isn't an answer.

For all the "these bootleggers take what they do seriously" examples given in this discussion, there's a REASON for them to have done so: they profit from it. They're either trying to commit actual fraud, or they think they're just doing "homages", but either way, there's a financial incentive for them to do so.

The bootleggers of DVDs like R&M...and I'm still not convinced that's the case...had no such reason, before a month ago, to make fake booklets to go along with their fake DVDs.

Look at what Roiland said to you: He wanted them to put Good Morty in all of the subsequent releases of the DVDs, and they said no. That means there are legitimate DVD packs that never came with Good Morty in the first place.

But...the bootleggers DID include GM, to be as "real as possible"...? Even though we know, from the writer, that subsequent releases of the DVD never had them to begin with...? That means the "bootleggers" had even LESS incentive to make "fake" GMs: why go to the effort if only some of the "legitimate" DVDs had them in the first place...? No one would notice if GM wasn't included with the "bootleg" copies.

In other words: if they make the SAME profit on the "bootleg DVD", with OR WITHOUT GM, there's no reason for them to have printed them up in the first place.

And it has to be said again: I'm NOT saying they're NOT fake, so no one comes along if they ARE proven fake and says "SEE!? I TOLD YOU SO!!" I'm saying it's not good to CALL them "fake" until and unless they are proven so. If they are, I'll be with you 100%. Until then, however...
Post 493 IP   flag post
Full disclosure, again: I do not own, nor do I intend to own, ANY copies of Good Morty...so in case someone wants to believe that I bought a whole crate of "fakes" for $100 each and am desperately trying to "protect my investment"...no, that would not be the case.
Post 494 IP   flag post
Quote:
I wished you video recorded your encounter with Justin. That's very insightful news if true

Eh, just grateful Justin took the time to talk with me about it all. I’m not one to cause a further delay in a signing like that to pull out my phone, especially when you are not supposed to film or take pics.

In regards to it possibly not being true, not quite sure what to tell you. Justin did tell my friend that he’ll make sure to tweet about the real and fakes copies.

If you feel it necessary to hit him up on Twitter yourself in the meantime to confirm anything I’ve posted then by all means go right ahead. I’m just trying to help.
Post 495 IP   flag post
@DocBrown Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

I'm saying it's not good to CALL them "fake" until and unless they are proven so.

This really is Bizzaro world.

How about "I'm saying it's not good to CALL them "real" until and unless they are proven so".

Shouldn't we assume they're "fake" until proven real, not the other way around?

Isn't that the purpose of CGC and CBCS, to verify something as "real"?

Like I said, Bizzaroworld.
Post 496 IP   flag post
@DocBrown

I’m not too sure what to say Doc. You know I’m not going to argue any of the unknowns. I’m just relaying some information/statements I’ve been told by Justin.

Determining which is which and if they can be reproduced so easily that it’s not wise to grade them isn’t for me to determine but I’m happy to help if/when one can.
Post 497 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Eh, just grateful Justin took the time to talk with me about it all. I’m not one to cause a further delay in a signing like that to pull out my phone, especially when you are not supposed to film or take pics.

In regards to it possibly not being true, not quite sure what to tell you. Justin did tell my friend that he’ll make sure to tweet about the real and fakes copies.

If you feel it necessary to hit him up on Twitter yourself in the meantime to confirm anything I’ve posted then by all means go right ahead. I’m just trying to help.

The point was to enjoy yourself... and you did. Good for you.
Post 498 IP   flag post
Thanks @DrWatson. 👍
Post 499 IP   flag post
Collector Garnett21k private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@DocBrown

I’m not too sure what to say Doc. You know I’m not going to argue any of the unknowns. I’m just relaying some information/statements I’ve been told by Justin.

Determining which is which and if they can be reproduced so easily that it’s not wise to grade them isn’t for me to determine but I’m happy to help if/when one can.

Great info! It definitely helps! No sense arguing semantics anyway! Glad you enjoyed meeting Justin! I missed my chance when he came to town a few months back! Won't ever make that mistake again!
Post 500 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@DocBrown Quote:

I'm saying it's not good to CALL them "fake" until and unless they are proven so.

This really is Bizzaro world.

How about "I'm saying it's not good to CALL them "real" until and unless they are proven so".

Exactly! Exactly the point! We shouldn't be calling them ANYTHING until we know for sure! You have correctly identified both sides of the same erroneous coin!

It's not good to call them FAKE...and it's not good to call them REAL...until and unless they are proven so.

Why would you assume ANYTHING until we have all the facts...?

I trust my point is made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC

Shouldn't we assume they're "fake" until proven real, not the other way around?

Isn't that the purpose of CGC and CBCS, to verify something as "real"?

Like I said, Bizzaroworld.

Verifying that something is genuine IS NOT the same thing as "calling it fake" until it is proven otherwise.

We should assume that we don't know. We should assume that there is a question of legitimacy. Anything beyond that is speculation, REAL OR FAKE, and does potential damage to others.
Post 501 IP   flag post
If anyone is curious, that was the only copy Justin signed for me and I’m very happy to add it to my collection.

It really doesn’t really matter to me if they grade them or not.
Post 502 IP   flag post
I guess some of you haven't thought through the implications of labeling something "fake" when it's not been proven, especially if it turns out they never were fake to begin with.

What if someone bought a "two-stapled" copy for, say, $200...then saw allllll these people saying "FAKE! FAKE!!!!" over and over again...people who have presented themselves as R&M experts...and, in disgust, they throw it away...?

And then what happens if it's discovered they weren't fake, but just reprints after all...?

You will have contributed to someone's decision in a way that harmed them.

Here's an especially egregious eBay title and listing:

"ALL 2-STAPLE TGMs ARE FAKE!!! Look In Description for Details - The Good Morty"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-2-STAPLE-TGMs-ARE-FAKE-Look-In-Description-for-Details-The-Good-Morty/302510494912?hash=item466f07d4c0:g:tqUAAOSws6ZZ-koy
Post 503 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnett21k
Quote:
@DocBrown

Great info! It definitely helps! No sense arguing semantics anyway! Glad you enjoyed meeting Justin! I missed my chance when he came to town a few months back! Won't ever make that mistake again!

Determining whether these things are fake or real is "arguing semantics"...?

Ok.
Post 504 IP   flag post
Quote:
I guess some of you haven't thought through the implications of labeling something "fake" when it's not been proven, especially if it turns out they never were fake to begin with.

What if someone bought a "two-stapled" copy for, say, $200...then saw allllll these people saying "FAKE! FAKE!!!!" over and over again...people who have presented themselves as R&M experts...and, in disgust, they throw it away...?

And then what happens if it's discovered they weren't fake, but just reprints after all...?

You will have contributed to someone's decision in a way that harmed them.

Here's an especially egregious eBay title and listing:

"ALL 2-STAPLE TGMs ARE FAKE!!! Look In Description for Details - The Good Morty"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-2-STAPLE-TGMs-ARE-FAKE-Look-In-Description-for-Details-The-Good-Morty/302510494912?hash=item466f07d4c0:g:tqUAAOSws6ZZ-koy

You are right Doc. I’ll personally make sure to make my statements more accurate on the subject. It isn’t right to lead anyone one way at this time as matter if the fact until all the legwork has been done.
Post 505 IP   flag post
601469 571 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.