Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Original art mail call; Steranko and Perez4642

Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
This has been a good couple of days for my original art collection. Yesterday I received my George Perez Iron Man commission. Perez knocked it out of the park. Since having a heart attack earlier this year, he canceled all of his public appearances to spend time recovering. However, he decided to start accepting commissions as a form of income and to keep himself busy. I asked for an older style Iron Man in flight, activating his repulsor glove. Asked and received. I think he nailed it. I am beyond pleased with this piece. Money/time well spent. What do you think?

It didn't quite fit on my scanner so that's why it looks a little funny at the top.

My second mail call was today. I contacted Jim Steranko on Twitter and asked if he did commissions. He advised me he did not do commissions but to contact him through his website and he would see what pieces he had available. We eventually began e-mailing and I told him I wanted a Nick Fury piece by him. Well he just so happened to have one more Fury piece available (I don't know how many he originally did). He titled it "Two Gun Fury". Needless to say I sold some things and bought this piece as fast as I could. I have to say, e-mailing back and forth with Mr. Steranko has been a real pleasure. The guy is so nice. I'm sure he charms every one but he really makes you feel like you're long time friends when he speaks to you. He's gained a life long fan. I've started picking up Steranko books because of it. Anyway, here it is:

Two Gun Fury

So what do you think? I'm excited lol. Very excited. I couldn't be happier with both pieces. Thanks for looking. Carry on.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Steranko's way with black and white is second to none, and completely unique.

Congrats, that's a nice one! 🍺
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Both legends and both knocked it out of the park.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Double WOW!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice. Congratulations.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Both are absolutely awesome pieces!
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia Those are really nice. I'm envious... And I'm not generally an original art collector.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@AndyRexia Those are really nice. I'm envious... And I'm not generally an original art collector.

I’m starting to enjoy art more than the actual books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia I do actually like original art. But the stuff I tend to like costs $$$ and my wife won't let me hang it up on the walls anyway.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967

Agreed.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Steranko is a class act. Really seems to enjoy meeting and talking to fans.
Post 11 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I am jelly of those. Congrats though. Did you ask Jim about his tailored Italian suit that he had? And don't forget to ask him if he ever dressed down?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Mind sharing how much these cost?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Outstanding looking Pieces to be proud of for sure!
Post 14 IP   flag post
If anyone is interested in a Perez commission, here’s how to get one:

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia Really nice pieces. Both classic artists and class acts.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I glad that those look like the artist put an effort into them. Both artist are capable of turning out some really nice work as those examples show.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I glad that those look like the artist put an effort into them. Both artist are capable of turning out some really nice work as those examples show.

You got that right. I recently got pictures of my Miller sketch cover back and it's very underwhelming. To be fair, it's a work in progress and still needs to be inked and colored. I don't have much hope though. The Miller costs as much as that Perez and the difference in quality is unreal. No comparison.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Quote:

You got that right. I recently got pictures of my Miller sketch cover back and it's very underwhelming. To be fair, it's a work in progress and still needs to be inked and colored. I don't have much hope though. The Miller costs as much as that Perez and the difference in quality is unreal. No comparison.

To me Miller was never a good "super hero" artist. But he is great at layout design and not many can play with shadows and contrasts the way he can. So I would think twice before I drop that much money on a commission by him even though in my opinion he is a comic book legend or hall of famer.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@cbj102 I rolled the dice on him. It’s not looking good. Maybe it can be salvaged.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Wonderful and wonderful.

Both wonderful artists.

One of my most treasured pieces of comic art that I own is my NTT #39, with a Nightwing sketch on Dick's side, and a Flash sketch on Wally's. Wanted that done for almost 25 years.

I almost cried when I got it done. I still get a little teary thinking about it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I love Perez' attention to the "shininess" of metal. That's one of his trademarks.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
I love Perez' attention to the "shininess" of metal. That's one of his trademarks.

This. I love how he made it stand out.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure how much you paid for the Miller sketch cover. How much is it costing you for the sketch, inking, and color? Who is doing the inking, and the colors? Also, are you having it slabbed? What is the cost associated with that?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure how much you paid for the Miller sketch cover. How much is it costing you for the sketch, inking, and color? Who is doing the inking, and the colors? Also, are you having it slabbed? What is the cost associated with that?

The inking is hopefully being done by Klaus Janson. Jose Varese on colors. At this time, I don’t know what they’re going to charge. I don’t even know if they’ll be available/willing to do it. It’s for my personal collection so I don’t care if it’s slabbed or not. I may just leave it raw. At this point I just want to be able to display it with my other art.
Post 25 IP   flag post
OK. If time isn't an issue then I'd hit Klaus up at Heroes in Charlotte or some other convention he's doing. Maybe write him through Essential Sequential before and see if he's willing to do it. If so, I'd do the VIP thing at Heroes to get in early to grab one of his slots, drop the book off, spend the day walking around, and presto that part would be finished.

I may look into that for one of my Miller sketch covers that I have. Thanks for the idea.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

Layton inking Perez looks excellent.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
If I had 5K to burn, I'd so get one of each of the NTT and put em up on my wall.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
OK. If time isn't an issue then I'd hit Klaus up at Heroes in Charlotte or some other convention he's doing. Maybe write him through Essential Sequential before and see if he's willing to do it. If so, I'd do the VIP thing at Heroes to get in early to grab one of his slots, drop the book off, spend the day walking around, and presto that part would be finished.

I may look into that for one of my Miller sketch covers that I have. Thanks for the idea.

Matt Saltzman with Trinity Comics has the book and he’s supposed to be looking into it. If Janson isn’t available I might try to get Rubinstein.
Post 29 IP   flag post
598060 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?