Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Should I remove added staples on this key?4627

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
This is more of a question of whether added staples are considered restoration. I have this very low grade copy of Fantastic Four #4 which has what looks like at least two added staples (I've noticed another pair of staples under some tape). Do you think I should just rip out all these staples before grading since the grade is already low? Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I would leave them. If just the stables it would not be considered restoration (at least with cbcs) but it will be noted on the label that stables are added.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If you take the staples out, will it still hold together?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
leave them in
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
If you take the staples out, will it still hold together?

No, it would be complete but loose. Reading the CBCS grade guide, stapleless books can still get a 1.0 or 1.5.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades

I think the book is about there already. If staples = restoration, I would rather not keep them. Does anyone have a staples-added CBCS graded book they could share?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
@poka

Great! So staples are not considered restoration. I'll just submit it as-is then. Thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Both companies view staples that way.

The key is "ADDED"

If you remove existing staples and put new ones in the old holes, you have not "added", but "replaced". In that case you get a conserved grade/label.
Post 8 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Uhhh that things pretty f'ed up as it is, the staples are the least ofyou worries. Just put it back at the bottom of the birdcage and save up some money and buy a 3.0 graded the presents well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Uhhh that things pretty f'ed up as it is, the staples are the least ofyou worries. Just put it back at the bottom of the birdcage and save up some money and buy a 3.0 graded the presents well.

FF #4 last sale in 0.5 was $180 and a 1.5 went for $290 (both from this summer 2017), so it's not quite birdcage material.
Post 10 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga I was joking. Just leave the book alone you are not helping it by taking extra staples out, then you would have holes left. Pick your poison.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Dance with the girl you brought.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I'd suggest that you personally leave the book as is, but have the book pressed before it is slabbed.

I'm not saying the book would get a grade bump if it were pressed but it may.

Send it into CBCS, request that the non-factory staples be removed prior to pressing.

Ricketts will be able to tell , when the book is in hand, if that would be a good idea i.e. based on the structural integrity of the spine.

This will cost more, at least I am guessing that it may.

If removing the non-factory staples & subsequently pressing the book will not be efficient, the non-factory staples will not be removed.

There is also the option of having the tape removed, via restoration removal.

But that may do more harm than good.

In the long run, removal of the tape will preserve the paper itself....that old tape is acidic AF.

The market overwhelmingly shows that books with no restoration in get more money than a book with restoration, or conservation....including amateur and pro restoration, your book falls under the AMA category, despite wether or not it gets a universal label with a notation of "2 non-factory staples attached" and possibly, "Tape on spine".

Both CBCS and CGC have , from what I have seen, lately been veering towards giving universal blue labels to books like this F.F 4...with the tape & N.F. staples noted...or blue "Conserved Grade" labels, with the same 2 label notes.

From the 1" horizontal tear in the
middle of the spine, thst kind of damage means the spine is shot.Even so, pressing would be of benefit...as long as the paper at the original staples does not have rust migration issues and/or is otherwise structurally compromised... .I'd say request to have the non-factory staples removed , prior to pressing.

Do not attempt to remove the staples yourself, let CBCS or CFP handle that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I just revised my post above to offer more thorough advice.

Another possible issue with this book may be sealed tears.

You should look for those, when performed by an amateur, they are visual giveaways.

Ecample:

A corner may have a full appearance of a color breaking crease.

It may be an actual corner torn off, and resealed.

Look for white discoloration, along the entire apparent crease line.

The adhesive is applied to the interior cover by AMA restored.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
I just revised my post above to offer more thorough advice.

Another possible issue with this book may be sealed tears.

You should look for those, when performed by an amateur, they are visual giveaways.

Ecample:

A corner may have a full appearance of a color breaking crease.

It may be an actual corner torn off, and resealed.

Look for white discoloration, along the entire apparent crease line.

The adhesive is applied to the interior cover by AMA restored.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep you guys posted if/when I sub it for slabbing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Here are 2 examples of books that I bought off of eBay, both books had/have undisclosed amateur restoration, a couple years back.

Both books were purchased from different sellers.

JUNGLE COMICS #66 BAKER ART : Racist GGA : Slave Whipping Panels : B Pedigree ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JUNGLE-COMICS-66-BAKER-ART-Racist-GGA-Slave-Whipping-Panels-B-Pedigree-/202070901232?hash=item2f0c5d41f0:g:UQwAAOSwlRZZzIZI

2nd App Haunted Tank:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-COMBAT-88-2nd-App-HAUNTED-TANK-Russ-Heath-DC-GREY-TONE-COVER-OW-W-Pages-/202080795068?hash=item2f0cf439bc:g:URIAAOSwrP9ZzCkT

And here is a book I bought out of a $3 box at a comic con, a few years back, because it was three bucks.

Tales Of Suspense #19:

Married cover ,with tape on spine, AND a tear seal on the BRC of the FC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-to-Astonish-19-PR-FR-COMPLETE-KIRBY-DITKO-5-FLAT-COMBINED-PRIORITY-/202078255625?hash=item2f0ccd7a09:g:tYsAAOSwED5Z2ueG

Point being, a ton of GA and SA books on the market have varying degrees of undisclosed restoration to them.

Even a $3 book can have undisclosed (amateur) restoration on it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600861 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?