Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

New Comic Releases Oct 18-Wander,Drown,&Die4617

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Ominous title, right? I thought so...

This week, Batman goes on a walkabout, Dark Nights lets us see the history of "The Drowned" Batman, and we start the Death of Thor storyline on the Legacy front... There's the title. :P

BOOM! - Anyone buying Go Go Power Rangers covers? Five to choose from? No? No??? Not really my bag, but I have friends into them. Now about Rugrats? I just hear the theme music in my head. Fun licensed books for the demographic. I wonder what people will do with the Rugrats blank variants.

Dark Horse - Sherlock Frankenstein with the Mignola cover? Yes please!

DC Comics:

Batman 33 - After the events of the last issue, BM (doesn't that sound like he's sitting on the toilet or something?) goes on a walkabout... Personally, I like the Coipel variant more, but they are both nice covers!

Batman the Drowned - Turns out that these various single issues spinning out of Metal Dark Nights are pretty darned good! This one will likely be an intense origin story.

Dynamite - A lot going on there, if you're into the publisher's releases... I'm not picking up anything this week, though.

IDW - Optimus Prime and ROM First Strike start up this week, but what catches my eye is Kid Lobotomy, particularly the Frank Quitely cover... Check it out! The story looks intriguing, too...

Image - LOTS of books this week! More Walking Dead Tribute covers, Invincible is inching to a close with issue 141, and Maestros is coming out with a couple of really nice covers. Based on what I'm reading, this could be a really good pickup. If you've been following, Shirtless Bear-Fighter wraps this week with issue 5 as well.

Marvel... Lenticulars, lenticulars, lenticulars! Also, some great covers in there, too... I won't go through all of them, but, like last week, which ones are you picking up?

Cable 150's Lenticular is particularly clever... Cable's debut from New Mutants 87 flips with a new Liefeld image with the NEW New Mutants. But... I'm buying the regular cover, which is a new image from Jon Malin.

For all of you Deadpool junkies out there, Deadpool vs Old Man Logan starts up with three cover options. Also, it looks like Diamond didn't ship the Blank Variants of Despicable Deadpool 287 last week, so those will hit shops this week. STOCK UP - these are blank front AND BACK... Those are always good to have for double-sided commissions.

Incredible Hulk 709 - I'm trying to get the Lenticular cover for this one... I like it! Both the regular (Land) and Lenticular are amazing, though. Curious about this whole Return to Planet Hulk thing, and at least Pak is writing it. If he does as well as he did with the first go around, this could be GREAT.

Invincible Iron Man 593 - Alan Davis' Lenticular catches my eye in this case... May have to get this one!

Mighty Thor 700 - I'm getting this mainly for the Death of Thor storyline, but the covers are great... Main and Lenticular I have to track down. I'd like the Adam Hughes cover, but don't want to pay that high premium for it. Based on some rumors with the title, will Jane die or will she become something else? Or... both?!?!?

Monsters Unleashed 7 - I wasn't planning on getting this one, but the idea that the homage is FF 1 and flipping back and forth between that CLASSIC cover calls to me... What do you think?

I think that's it for now? What's on your pull list?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Invincible
Shirtless
Thor

Can’t recall anything else at the moment; I know I will get more than this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ComicHaulics private msg quote post Address this user
We pre-ordered all of the Spider Gwen 25 covers. The lenticular one is our favorite!

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
I too got most of the Spider Gwen covers. I’ll see what else is in there when I get there but it’s probably a slower week for me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Are they really killing off Jane and going back to the classic Thor?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer
That's word on the street but I think I remember seeing her on one of the covers still in a Previews, so I'm not sure if it's this issue but this will start the arc. Supposedly Stark is coming back too eventually.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@shrewbeer
That's word on the street but I think I remember seeing her on one of the covers still in a Previews, so I'm not sure if it's this issue but this will start the arc. Supposedly Stark is coming back too eventually.

Right, "The Search for Tony Stark" is the name of the Iron Man storyline in Legacy. He has never been dead, just in "stasis", and an AI with is brain downloaded to it has been helping out in his absence. Something like that. With Thor, Marvel needs to reconcile Odinson, Thor (Jane), and War/Ultimate Thor in some way through the "Death of the Mighty Thor" storyline. Jane has terminal cancer - known. This puts an expiration date on her, but, come on, she's running around with gods and cosmic beings. That's always a funny thing in comic books. Snap of the fingers and that should be remedied. So, will she die and be reborn through her trip to Valhalla (a la Valkyrie) OR will she stick around?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I would LOVE if they made Jane a new hero with a new name.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
I would LOVE if they made Jane a new hero with a new name.

Yeah, if they do, I think they'll just re-use Valkyrie, though, since it's in the new Thor movie... Easier for the casual fan to wrap their head around.

I know you know this, @NilesPaine, but for others (wondering where we get our info)....

A lot of what we type in here comes from reading solicits months ahead of time (even press releases a month before Previews hits), articles from the publishers, interviews with the head cheeses, writers, etc... And history! So, it helps to make some inferences along the way. Honestly, it's impossible to keep track of every book coming out today, but keeping up with news is easy.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I pretty much read everything I can. Heck, I bought the Overstreet guide just to read the articles inside! These forums too have helped me with “breaking news”.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
I pretty much read everything I can. Heck, I bought the Overstreet guide just to read the articles inside! These forums too have helped me with “breaking news”.

I wish I had the time! I used to read a LOT more than I do now. I still buy a ton, but a lot of it accumulates, then when I can, I'll read runs of books. Day job, writing early AM and after work, wife, kid, and a lot of odd jobs in the industry (editing, lettering, and a lot of "other". I relish in what I do get to read, but I want to read a lot more. I'm always chasing the "high" of the kid in me, though, cracking the newsprint books of my youth. Whether the stories are the weird, intelligent, or escapist fun, if they take me out of reality for a few, they do the trick!
Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post
@dpiercy How's that GWAR book?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@thelastbard - well, it's the "new costume" cover that was in Previews. I bought this to sell, so I haven't been reading it.

Everything else in that pile I'm really looking forward to reading.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I took some pics of the lenticulars I picked up last night and stuck them in the "lenticular fail?" thread. :P
Post 15 IP   flag post
597922 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?