Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What grading to get done signed comic?4573

Collector AW177 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all,

I am a newbie to CGC/CBCS/graded comics and have a few questions that I hope you can help me with; please excuse me if these questions have been asked already! I just recently attended New York Comic Con 2017 and was lucky enough to get into the Agents of SHIELD signing, and thought it would be cool to get an Agents of SHIELD comic signed by the cast of the TV show. I was able to find a copy of Agents of SHIELD #1 (2016) and had the entire cast sign it - Jeph Loeb, Clark Gregg, Chloe Bennet, Ming-Na Wen, Elizabeth Henstridge, Iain De Caestecker, Henry Simmons and Natalia Cordova-Buckley.

My questions are:

- How much would it cost me to have this book graded by CBCS since it has about 8 signatures on it?

- Since the comic has already been signed, I don't really plan on selling my comic, would like to have it encased to preserve it, but you never know down the line and I may sell it one day. Which would be better - would it make more sense for me to get it graded by CGC and get a qualified green label, or perhaps even go with CBCS and get a red label, since they have a signature verification system? Which would be the more desired label by collectors in this case? Does a red label hold as much weight as a CGC yellow SS label?

- It confuses me as to why CGC does not have some type of signature/autograph verification system in place and think it's great that CBCS offers one - do you need to submit any evidence that the signatures are real before they give it a red verified label?

Thank you for being patent with a newbie and helping me out!!!
AW
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
First off, welcome. Congrats on the book - sounds terrific. As for your questions-

-CBCS pricing is here https://www.cbcscomics.com/pricing

Verified signatures (unwitnessed, like yours) are $25 for the first sig, $15 for each additional. So in your situation, assuming you haven't purchased a membership yet, grading would be $18 (+optional $10 fast pass), then the eight signatures verified would be an additional $130, plus shipping costs.

-The red CBCS label would probably be nicer than a green CGC label. However, in your situation, $130+grading costs is a LOT to pay for that niceness. The red labels are great and I'm a big fan of the VSP program. But if it was my money, I would either leave that book raw or just plunk down for a green label.

-No, you don't need to submit any evidence. More info about the verified sig process is here https://www.cbcscomics.com/vsp

Hope this helps!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you for your response, it's very helpful! Wow that is a lot of money but it may be worth it to preserve the comic and show that the signatures I received are the real deal. Do red label CBCS books worth as much as a SS label?

I am not sure if CBCS attends conventions, but if they do, would you have to go get one of them during the signing to have them witness it for a different label?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW177
Do red label CBCS books worth as much as a SS label?

No, but more than a Green as they are authenticated.

Quote:
would you have to go get one of them during the signing to have them witness it for a different label?

Yep, just grab a witness from the booth and head on over to get your sigs. I've had badly planned days where I had to make many trips to the booth, even after seeing me 5-7 times they were still friendly and happy to witness more
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@AW177 CBCS is very active at conventions. Here is a list of their upcoming events.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yep, just grab a witness from the booth and head on over to get your sigs. I've had badly planned days where I had to make many trips to the booth, even after seeing me 5-7 times they were still friendly and happy to witness more

So you can just grab a witness and it's free? Even if you have to wait a bit to get it signed?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Witnesses from a CBCS booth are free. They’ll wait with you within reason. If it’s going to be a long wait, it’s best to stop by the booth and see if you can make areangements so they can meet you at the venue when you’re close to the front of the line.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

So you can just grab a witness and it's free? Even if you have to wait a bit to get it signed?

It's a $5 add on charge for a yellow label. If you ever decide to sell it you can get it slabbed then. Until that day use two backer boards a bag and a top loader
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
It's a $5 add on charge for a yellow label. If you ever decide to sell it you can get it slabbed then. Until that day use two backer boards a bag and a top loader

$5 add on charge for?
Post 9 IP   flag post
When you get a yellow label, there is a $5 fee on top of the standard grading fee
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
When you get a yellow label, there is a $5 fee on top of the standard grading fee

Ah but that's only if a CBCS witness is there to see the signature, correct?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@AW177 Correct. In order for a book to get a yellow label, a CBCS authoriEd witness must be present at the book’s signing (and must not leave their possession until the book is submitted to CBCS) and the $5/book Authentic Signature add-on fee has to be paid.
Post 12 IP   flag post
So I guess the general consensus in my situation, if I wanted my comic graded/preserved, would be to go for the CBCS red verified label instead of the CGC green label, even though CGC usually sells for a lot more?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Which company's books sell for more is still more or less anecdotal simply because CGC has been around for so much longer than CBCS and so its books have many more sales records.

Take for example, Star Wars #1 in 9.8. If you were to look at the average sale prices in the past 24 months, you would see that CGC graded copies have an average sale price of about $1200 and CBCS only $823. However, that would be looking at only 1 CBCS sale versus 76 CGC sales in the same period, some of which sold for cheaper than the CBCS copy.

You're sure to find counter-examples and counter-counter-examples which is why I personally don't think of it as CGC is worth this much and CBCS is worth this much. I lump them together as graded books. Other members here may have different opinions and I'm open to seeing something concrete that can be used as a general rule.

As for the red label versus a CGC green, I think the former has more desireability within the community, and certainly for me personally. A CGC green label would describe the signatures as a flaw that the grade is omitting and simply list them as "writing on the cover in marker," or something similar. With the CBCS red label the signatures are identified by name on the label and provides at least a little more authority to potential buyers than simply having to take your word on a green label.

Finally, you're also bound to get more recommendations for a cbcs red label than a cgc green on account that you're on the cbcs boards to begin with ;P
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you dielinfinite for your awesome answers!

If CGC has been around longer (not sure the approx. ages of both companies), then how come CGC never came up with their own verification program? It would make sense to have something like this as there have been signatures on comics way before CGC was around.

I also asked my question on both the CBCS and CGC forums - which it appears the CBCS forums are much more nicer and helpful since no one responded to my post on the CGC forum!

So what does everyone think - should I go for and pay for the CBCS red label, even for $130+?
Post 15 IP   flag post
CGC was founded in 2000 and CBCS was founded in 2014, so CGC has a significant head start.

I couldn't tell you for sure why, in all that time, CGC didn't introduce a signature verification service, as there was certainly a demand for it. My opinion is that, being the only game in town, CGC simply became complacent. Since CBCS did it first, perhaps it would be too obvious a case of aping the competition for a company that sees itself as the industry leader. Still, some would say that CGC has made more changes/additions in the few years since CBCS emerged as a viable alternative than it did in many of the years before. This includes some things, like making exclusivity contracts with conventions, that indicate a concern with the competiton, which they hadn't shown prior, despite the fact PGX has been around for a significant amount of time but, for various reasons, never really emerged as legitimate competiton.
Post 16 IP   flag post
So what does everyone think - should I go for and pay for the CBCS red label, even for $130+?

** UPDATE ** - CSA COMICS says they don't have Natalia Cordova-Buckley in their database so don't think I can have the book verified right now.

Seems a bit aggravating, after all this and still can't get it graded! If only I grabbed a CBCS or even CGC rep beforehand!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
So you talked to CBCS and they said its a no go?
Don't sweat it those sigs aren't going anywhere. You might meet the artists and the writer and put more sigs on it. But if you do that get a witness and save some cash on those. Earlier you were saying go for the CBCS red label instead of the CGC green. Definitely the red, they sell for more than the green.
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS's exact words: "CSA does not currently have Natalia Cordova-Buckley in their data base so they cannot verify that signature. I would wait a bit and see if they have a chance to obtain that signature."

So I'm pretty much stuck waiting at this point. My only hope was in hindsight, I should have gone to CGC and asked for a witness, but can't dwell on the past. Hopefully CBCS will see Natalia's signature and I can move on from there.

I would like to go for the red label as it verifies the signatures as real, instead of the green label which would say something like 'signed in marker'; but it will cost me a lot for the red - $25 first signature, $15 after, so since there are 8 signatures = $130 + $18 + etc = $150+!!! Would it be even worth it to get a red label after paying so much for it?

AND I was thinking, would even TV celebrities' signatures be worth any $ in the future? For instance, Clark Gregg may be known as Phil Coulson for now, but 5-10 years from now, he may not be. In that time, would a Clark Gregg autograph on an Agents of SHIELD comic be worth anything, given that people in that time may not even know who he is or what character he played? Like Brett Dalton, who played Grant Ward, if he signed a SHIELD comic and now that he's no longer in the show, would it hold as much value now as it did back then? Hmmm....
Post 19 IP   flag post
@AW177 As for the popularity of the characters, sure, that’s always a crap shoot but Clark Greg has been playing Phil Coulson now for nearly 10 years and the rest of the cast will be starting year 5 in less than two months. The Marvel MCU shows no sign of stopping, if anything, it’s expanding faster and faster on the tv show front.

It’s really up to how much it’s worth it to you to have the book slabbed with the red label. You said it yourself that you considered the book priceless but that doesn’t mean you do or do not need to shell out to get it graded and slabbed and you certainly don’t need to do it right this second.

If you want to wait, people on the board have recommended various solutions involving mylar and top-loaders to keep and display raw books. You can also get something like this to hold it temporarily and you can design a nice Agents of SHIELD label to go with it. Or if it’s the grading for possible resale that’s important to you, you can always send it in for a CGC Green label until you’re ready to shell out the money for a red label.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I probably asked this question before but don't remember the answer...but if you get a red label, can you get a witnessed signature on the same cover? Would they honor both signatures as verified/witnessed...And what color would the label be...(orange, hahahah)?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Drogio The label would be red but it would differentiate between witnessed and verified signatures like so:

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Khumbu private msg quote post Address this user
@AW177 Look at the cast of Firefly. 1 season and they are still signing Serenity comics.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds to me like your too concerned with the perceived value having the book graded might add.

Put it in a nice Mylar and top loader and enjoy it for what it is.

The book IMHO won't even recoup the grading fee's
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
If it's not a 9.8 then it's probably not worth it. I know you mentioned you don't plan on selling it so just keep it raw.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Sounds to me like your too concerned with the perceived value having the book graded might add.

Put it in a nice Mylar and top loader and enjoy it for what it is.

The book IMHO won't even recoup the grading fee's

I just think having it graded and verified would make it look even better than it is, and if I decide to sell it in the future (you can never say no), would make the book much more valuable.

If I do send it in for grading (whenever they approve of Natalia), doesn't CBCS tell you what grade it got and then if you wish to slab it, then slab it?

I hear you, and agree, I guess spending all that money and then coming back less than a 9.8 would seem like a waste of money, but what happens if my book might be a 9.8? Any way to tell?

dielinfinite, thank you for the link to the Comic Skin, I may grab one and keep my comic safe until the one day they may (or may not) have Natalia's signature in their database!
Post 26 IP   flag post
@AW177 You can do a "Grade Screen" where you indicate that you don't want the book graded unless it meets a minimum grade, which you can specify to be 9.8.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
You can also get something like this to hold it temporarily and you can design a nice Agents of SHIELD label to go with it. Or if it’s the grading for possible resale that’s important to you, you can always send it in for a CGC Green label until you’re ready to shell out the money for a red label.

Thank you dielinfinite for the link to that Comic Skin, looks pretty cool - gonna give that a try while waiting for CSA to update their database. David (president of CSA) told me that the next time Natalia is at a con/event and CBCS is too, they will try to get her signature and add it to their database, so it may be a while before that happens!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
UPDATE: so thanks to the suggestion from dielinfinite, I ordered a slab from Comic Skin and created my own header with some info about the comic, details of the signing, and added an Agents of SHIELD logo. While I would prefer to actually get my comic verified and slabbed one day, with the Comic Skin I can have a great display piece and be protected until the day I can finally get this verified! Thanks all for your help!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet! I do like comic skins as y can Taylor the label to your liking. I will probably order a few for some signed comics and some others I want to read. It also display.
Post 30 IP   flag post
603906 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?