Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

CGC says "GOOD MORTY" is 1st appearance now.4564

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if this helps, for comparison purposes, don't forget the DVD should have numbers and barcode on the recorded side. Hard to see but they are there.

Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
As for bootlegging the comic, and why would someone do that? Simple. They assumed the comic was always going to be included in every run of the dvd and blu ray and knew people would know it was a fake if it wasn't included. This is insert material that usually gets thrown out we're talking about here so attention to detail was probably not that high.

I'm still not convinced these weren't just leftovers that someone obtained. Printing books is a lot harder to do than bootlegging DVDs (which is why bootlegs have such crappy graphics on their inserts almost all of the time.) No one is questioning the motives of the bootleggers, but their abilities.

It requires equipment that most people simply do not have access to, and it would have to be a pretty sophisticated setup without the original art (whether digital or physical.)

Granted, the technology has improved, but that's why books like Cerebus #1, TMNT, and Cry For Dawn #1 are so easy to spot.

If attention to detail was not that high, the differences should be quite easy to spot. If they had no value before last week, there was no reason for them to need to be high quality reproductions.
Post 152 IP   flag post
In other words...it's far, far easier to just make bootleg copies of DVDs without the Good Morty insert than it is to make a passable Good Morty reproduction (which is what these would have been, and not "fakes" ) just for the sake of "authenticity." Far more effort than it ever would have been worth, for something that the vast majority of people wouldn't have noticed, or cared about if they did.

Occam's Razor and whatnot.

It's not, after all, going to be sold on the shelves at Best Buy, and people buying bootleg DVDs care only that the DVD works, not the aesthetics of the disc and packaging. How many people, in the entire history of bootlegs, have ever cared if they found out it was a bootleg, so long as it worked, enough to make an issue of it?
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
you will not find this at big stores, as they where the first print of the DVD, you can get lucky at a mom & pop shop that sell old books and DVD. i was one of the lucky ones, i have proof that these can still be found today, look at the date on the recite. 10/13/2017 is when i bought this used, i was able to open the DVD as it was not seal to see if the book was there,and yes feet are missing on the back of DVD, load & behold..

Post 154 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
you will not find this at big stores, as they where the first print of the DVD, you can get lucky at a mom & pop shop that sell old books and DVD. i was one of the lucky ones, i have proof that these can still be found today, look at the date on the recite. 10/13/2017 is when i bought this used, i was able to open the DVD as it was not seal to see if the book was there,and yes feet are missing on the back of DVD, load & behold..

Thats interesting. I bought 2 from walmart today and there was zero documentation that came with it. Just case and DVD. (Yes it was sealed).
Post 155 IP   flag post

Like I said you will not find these at the big store, Walmart, amazon, target, and so on, as the 1st prints of DVD came out in 2014. am sure there all sold out of them, what you are buying at the big Store are 4 or 5 prints of the DVD and will not come with book in it. Go to an old moms pops where old DVD are sold, they are not seal and you can look inside, happy hunting.
Post 156 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
good job
Post 157 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
Clear case is highly suspect to me, both the one I got in 2014 and the one I got yesterday are both in the same white flip style case. I just looked over both sets of discs 1 and 2 and the cases and other than a few small numbers that were different on all 4 discs, they were almost identical. There is a slight difference in the darkness of the colour of the printing between original and new discs, very slight. I tried to photograph it and couldn't.
So what we know for sure is the 250 that Harmon and Roiland signed appear to be one stapled versions from the picture of the one. The copy I have also has one staple, so I think it's a good bet that a single staple should be taken as an identifier for an original. The one JimmyLinguini got had two staples, as did the person who actually started all this with cgc and these were discovered to be fake I believe. That should be seen as an identifier that two staple version could POTENTIALLY be fakes.

Bingo.

The bolded portion would explain why no formal request was made via the CGC Forums, for a label update.

So, this "phone call with a CGC Customer Service Rep", never actually occurred.

The "Good Morty" book, apparently like a few hundred copies were signed by the Rick & Morty creators and maybe some were unsigned, I'm not going to go back and read this whole thread....but IIRC, the signed copies were randomly inserted into the first pressings of the DVD and Blu-Ray Season 1 ....and some unsigned copies would have been randomly included, as well, in the first pressings....the guy who knew about this , printed out some Rick & Morty repro booklets, and made a few grand.

Anyone who works at a print shop as a first press man, would have access to the equipment, and be able to run off a few hundred copies.

CGC and CBCS will certainly be capable of determining reproduced copies from originals.

"Good Morty" is still is the 1st App of Rick & Morty in comic books but anyone who paid a $100 or $500, for a "Good Morty" book would probably be wise to initiate a PayPal claim for "bootlegged merchandise".
Post 158 IP   flag post
Collector TomD private msg quote post Address this user
Ok i just want to have a copy of this whats the best way to buy one and make sure its authentic aside from finding an original first copy dvd or bluesy anyone follow Justin on Twitter ask him do we can all buy these
Post 159 IP   flag post
Do not jump to conclusions. No one really knows if one staple, two staple, whatever is real or fake.

More research needs to be done.
Post 160 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Do not jump to conclusions. No one really knows if one staple, two staple, whatever is real or fake.

More research needs to be done.

Yes, I should have added that.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Collector TomD private msg quote post Address this user
I hear what you guys are saying. I have every 1st issue variant except the 1-50 I'd like to add this to my collection as well just trying to figure out how I can get one that legit. I see a bunch of people on ebay are listing this with mini comics but do we know that these are legit at all. In a previous post it was stated there were only 250 signed but that doesn't represent a total of the overall first print so to speak.
Post 162 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sending my 2 staple version off to CGC on Monday. We will find out if it's real or not, I guess.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD
I hear what you guys are saying. I have every 1st issue variant except the 1-50 I'd like to add this to my collection as well just trying to figure out how I can get one that legit. I see a bunch of people on ebay are listing this with mini comics but do we know that these are legit at all. In a previous post it was stated there were only 250 signed but that doesn't represent a total of the overall first print so to speak.

I guess on one read on how to find theses?

look for an old mom & pop shop that sell old books and DVD, 10/13/2017 is when i bought this used, i was able to open the DVD as it was not seal to see if the book was there, and yes feet are missing on the back of DVD, that one clue that might say there's a comic inside.
Post 164 IP   flag post
agree with the mom and pop used bookstore or half priced books, but i dont think the feet thing is legit - however, it doesnt hurt to open it or ask a sales clerk to find out if all inserts are inside
Post 165 IP   flag post
if you like to read the comic here's a link of the good Morty.

http://rickandmorty.wikia.com/wiki/The_Good_Morty

Post 166 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
The feet thing is legit in the sense that all the bootleg blu rays have no feet.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
The feet missing on the Blue Ray copies is the result of a sticker that has info about the digital download and stuff.I'm sure it is random as to where the sticker is placed.
Post 168 IP   flag post
well on my dvd set my feet aren't cut off on the back cover and its a dvd version
Post 169 IP   flag post
if you go to page 2, you see that there is one with no feet,and no sticker covering it up. so it might be true, i will peel off the sticker when i get home. also will CBCS grade these??

Post 170 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Under her white shoes is a single line of text. That line doesnt exist on the post-1st editions.

Also of note, the price on this book has CRASHED following the news of fakes on the market. It was selling at an easy $250, now under $100. Very interested to see what a graded one gets now, I wouldnt buy one otherwise for fear of getting boned on a fake
Post 171 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
I just started reading this thread today. Not long after, I went through my IG feed and saw that one of the guys I'm following is selling a raw NM, one staple copy. No price was listed but he was taking serious offers. I guess it was difficult to put a price on it.

DM me if interested and I'll forward his IG handle.

P.S., he's a legit collector/artist who likes comics for the right reasons not for resale/speculation and just happened to have one of these.
Post 172 IP   flag post

Post 173 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke That box shouldnt have a comic.

This "two staple" thing is looking like the identifying answer
Post 174 IP   flag post
but it has the feet?! I do not believe the staples are a factor. At all. If say they printed 1000, and Dan and Justin signed 250 of them, it's possible out of the 1000 that 200-300 might have an extra staple or they were deciding to cut costs with just one staple at some point during the print run? It IS a small booklet, so they probably decided one was sufficient.
Post 175 IP   flag post
It doesn't make sense to me that an amazon seller, or any seller, from almost a year ago would have a fake booklet in a dvd set that no one knew was a first appearance or worth anything - so why fake a insert booklet? This looks legit. It does not feel like copy paper, does not look like it was cut by a paper cutter, and the ink and colors all look the same. Does not appear to be a fake booklet. This is all whackity whack yo
Post 176 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Also of note, the price on this book has CRASHED following the news of fakes on the market. It was selling at an easy $250, now under $100. Very interested to see what a graded one gets now, I wouldnt buy one otherwise for fear of getting boned on a fake

Not trying to undermine @shrewbeer, but one sold for $100 because it was damaged. All the others are going for $200+ still. Just so everyone knows.
Post 177 IP   flag post
You can also see the floor under the sofa on mine, which is off from the one with no feet if you place the two images side by side.....
Post 178 IP   flag post
I count 5 since friday under $200, all double-staple books.

Several single staples sold earlier in the week for far more
Post 179 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
It doesn't make sense to me that an amazon seller, or any seller, from almost a year ago would have a fake booklet in a dvd set that no one knew was a first appearance or worth anything - so why fake a insert booklet? This looks legit. It does not feel like copy paper, does not look like it was cut by a paper cutter, and the ink and colors all look the same. Does not appear to be a fake booklet. This is all whackity whack yo

Right. Low cost printing techniques would be quite obvious (Kinko's, etc) and using proper equipment is not cheap. It's why earlier fakes are generally so easy to spot. Since there was no financial motive to make these, it doesn't make sense that people would fake them just to be absolutely "authentic" with their bootlegs.

I think there's much more to this than meets the eyes. Anyone contact Oni yet?
Post 180 IP   flag post
601245 498 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.