Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

CGC says "GOOD MORTY" is 1st appearance now.4564

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 126 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 127 IP   flag post
OK so this one has two discs attached to each door

Post 128 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I bought it 8 months ago from a seller on amazon. So no, I did not buy it the week of release.

This does not appear to be a copy. I can take photos of the dvds and case for comparison. I am now starting to wonder myself at this point. But my point is, if something I bought 8 months ago is not likely to be a fake when this news come out this week, though....right?

It still could be, but people weren't looking. it took this time to come to light. I doubt they just started making the fakes this month
Post 129 IP   flag post
However these for that I bought this week on Amazon have a separate insert for a disc holder And none of them have the good morty booklet

Post 130 IP   flag post

Quote:
OK so this one has two discs attached to each door

This one seems more "Fake" to me. The way the discs are, the way the case is wrapped and how it doesn't go all the way to the edges.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Quote:
However these for that I bought this week on Amazon have a separate insert for a disc holder And none of them have the good morty booklet

and then this one I'd say is the "real" ones
Post 132 IP   flag post
Uhhh

The one with the booklet (bottom) to me the discs look faded and not as bright or vibrant color as these for I bought on Amazon (top) this week take a look:

Post 133 IP   flag post

Post 134 IP   flag post

Eight months ago (left)

this week (right )
Post 135 IP   flag post
Look at the size of the copyright symbol.

actually all the lettering is different sizes. huh
Post 136 IP   flag post

It could just simply be the difference between first printing in second and third and subsequent printings
Post 137 IP   flag post
If that is true you might have a way to instantly see what’s the first printing or modern printing

modern printing would have the white inner cases

to me the first prints would have the clear cases just by looking at the side inside the shrink wrapping

Post 138 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If that is true you might have a way to instantly see what’s the first printing or modern printing

modern printing would have the white inner cases

to me the first prints would have the clear cases just by looking at the side inside the shrink wrapping

Great work Detective! I'll check my case color tonight!
Post 139 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Struck out, nothing inside but the DVD's.
Post 140 IP   flag post
@OGJackster What color were your cases?
Post 141 IP   flag post
They were the Blu-ray disks... blue clear plastic. I can post a picture if you like.
Post 142 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Clear case is highly suspect to me, both the one I got in 2014 and the one I got yesterday are both in the same white flip style case. I just looked over both sets of discs 1 and 2 and the cases and other than a few small numbers that were different on all 4 discs, they were almost identical. There is a slight difference in the darkness of the colour of the printing between original and new discs, very slight. I tried to photograph it and couldn't.
So what we know for sure is the 250 that Harmon and Roiland signed appear to be one stapled versions from the picture of the one. The copy I have also has one staple, so I think it's a good bet that a single staple should be taken as an identifier for an original. The one JimmyLinguini got had two staples, as did the person who actually started all this with cgc and these were discovered to be fake I believe. That should be seen as an identifier that two staple version could POTENTIALLY be fakes.
Post 143 IP   flag post
I don't think the clear cases mean anything since i got dvd release and not bluray release
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
They were the Blu-ray disks... blue clear plastic. I can post a picture if you like.

Ah ok, no need then. Thanks
Post 145 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
Quote:
No. Mine has 2 staples. I bought my dvd release the week of release as well.

The DVD was released in 2014. And you said you bought it 8 month ago?

I bought it 8 months ago from a seller on amazon. So no, I did not buy it the week of release.

This does not appear to be a copy. I can take photos of the dvds and case for comparison. I am now starting to wonder myself at this point. But my point is, if something I bought 8 months ago is not likely to be a fake when this news come out this week, though....right?

People only started caring about the books last week but the bootleg copies have been around for longer. For the blurays, Someone mass produced bootleg copies that were factory sealed. I don't think them being around for 8 months is unlikely I also don't think DVD bootlegs are as identifiable as bootleg Blurays.

Every fake bluray copy of the comic has two staples, all promotional material indicates that comic has one staple. Did your DVD have any flyers inside? All unboxing videos (with legit copies) indicate the DVD and Blurays have promotional flyers inside the cases.

So I am not sure but I would say the bootlegs have been around for longer than 8 months.
Post 146 IP   flag post
I'm pretty sure the only legit ones the comics were actually included in had stickers that stated it.

Post 147 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
I'm pretty sure the only legit ones the comics were actually included in had stickers that stated it.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Post 148 IP   flag post
As for bootlegging the comic, and why would someone do that? Simple. They assumed the comic was always going to be included in every run of the dvd and blu ray and knew people would know it was a fake if it wasn't included. This is insert material that usually gets thrown out we're talking about here so attention to detail was probably not that high.
Post 149 IP   flag post
i dont have a picture of it when i got it in the shrink wrapping but mine had the sticker on it too
Post 150 IP   flag post
I don't know if this helps, for comparison purposes, don't forget the DVD should have numbers and barcode on the recorded side. Hard to see but they are there.

Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
As for bootlegging the comic, and why would someone do that? Simple. They assumed the comic was always going to be included in every run of the dvd and blu ray and knew people would know it was a fake if it wasn't included. This is insert material that usually gets thrown out we're talking about here so attention to detail was probably not that high.

I'm still not convinced these weren't just leftovers that someone obtained. Printing books is a lot harder to do than bootlegging DVDs (which is why bootlegs have such crappy graphics on their inserts almost all of the time.) No one is questioning the motives of the bootleggers, but their abilities.

It requires equipment that most people simply do not have access to, and it would have to be a pretty sophisticated setup without the original art (whether digital or physical.)

Granted, the technology has improved, but that's why books like Cerebus #1, TMNT, and Cry For Dawn #1 are so easy to spot.

If attention to detail was not that high, the differences should be quite easy to spot. If they had no value before last week, there was no reason for them to need to be high quality reproductions.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
In other words...it's far, far easier to just make bootleg copies of DVDs without the Good Morty insert than it is to make a passable Good Morty reproduction (which is what these would have been, and not "fakes" ) just for the sake of "authenticity." Far more effort than it ever would have been worth, for something that the vast majority of people wouldn't have noticed, or cared about if they did.

Occam's Razor and whatnot.

It's not, after all, going to be sold on the shelves at Best Buy, and people buying bootleg DVDs care only that the DVD works, not the aesthetics of the disc and packaging. How many people, in the entire history of bootlegs, have ever cared if they found out it was a bootleg, so long as it worked, enough to make an issue of it?
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
you will not find this at big stores, as they where the first print of the DVD, you can get lucky at a mom & pop shop that sell old books and DVD. i was one of the lucky ones, i have proof that these can still be found today, look at the date on the recite. 10/13/2017 is when i bought this used, i was able to open the DVD as it was not seal to see if the book was there,and yes feet are missing on the back of DVD, load & behold..

Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
you will not find this at big stores, as they where the first print of the DVD, you can get lucky at a mom & pop shop that sell old books and DVD. i was one of the lucky ones, i have proof that these can still be found today, look at the date on the recite. 10/13/2017 is when i bought this used, i was able to open the DVD as it was not seal to see if the book was there,and yes feet are missing on the back of DVD, load & behold..

Thats interesting. I bought 2 from walmart today and there was zero documentation that came with it. Just case and DVD. (Yes it was sealed).
Post 155 IP   flag post
601262 498 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.