Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

CGC says "GOOD MORTY" is 1st appearance now.4564

Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Mine is not signed. I will probably get it signed however and witnessed.

Fingers crossed that it's real! ;-)
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a video I made about the difference in the Bluray case that made me identify my copy as fake.

There are two production differences between the bootleg and the genuine comic. I am still trying to get concrete information on these before telling people about them.

Post 102 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Great, now we have counterfeits thrown into the mix!
Post 103 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Great, now we have counterfeits thrown into the mix!

I guess it is POSSIBLE, that the fakes could be worth more than the real ones.

That's how we roll. A fickle bunch.
Post 104 IP   flag post
NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post 105 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:

it is real because i bought it 8 months ago off amazon brand new, opened the shrink wrap and everything myself brah and it's a dvd of season 1. the dvd is silver and does not appear to be a reproduction or copy. the images on the discs are bold and crisp, do not look blurry or faded with lighter shade or tone of colors either. *shrugs*
Post 106 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I doubt this "first appearance" thing will have any affect on the value of the Rick and Morty first issue. Just like the Batman The Animated Series Almost Got 'im (Golden Books 1993) discovery didn't crater the value of Batman Adventures 12. Nor has fandom learning that Boba Fett appeared first in a paperback version of the Empire Strikes Back AND then Marvel Super Special 16 before being reprinted in the Star Wars 42 affected the value of Star Wars 42

Comic book collectors are overall biased towards collecting -- wait for it -- comic books. Not paperbacks, not magazines and not miniature comics.

I agree. Nobody thinks twice about the qualifier "in comics" on BA12. Those that know don't seem to care.

Hell, even the second appearance of Wolverine is more valuable than his first appearance.

Gonna have to disagree with both of you here, and given your reputations and positions in the industry, especially SR, 'tis probably a bad tree to bark at 😁🍺

This news is less than a week old, yet raw NM Good Morty's are selling like hotcakes for more than a graded 9.4 RAM#1. NM to NM graded, GM is already winning! People dont seem to care the comic is smaller than normal.

Unlike hulk this is not a cameo vs full situation; as you confirmed earlier Steve, this is now a first appearance vs first issue situation. People thought RAM #1 was a first appearance, and now both CGC and CBCS concur it is not. All that first appearance hype over RAM #1 just went *poof*

Couple that with these books/dvds were not mostly purchased by comic collectors. RAM is first a popular TV show; the majority of these comics are lost (for now). Released in '14, they are sitting on a shelf, or in the basement of a high school kid's TV room. The good news is, yard sales and flea markets will trickle a lot of them out to us over the next decade!

Given all that, I'd bet the soon to appear GM 9.8's smash the RAM #1 9.8s easily. Everyone wants on the first appearance in comics train, and those holding a RAM #1 are no longer even in the station 😬

If I really, truly knew what the market would value comics at six months into the future, I'd be rich Your opinion might prove to be right. I'm just going on past history. Where other first appearances in the "not really comic book format" have value have not negatively affected the value of the comic book that was previously regarded as the first appearance.

And let me be clear as to what I said and meant. I did not say this "Good Morty" mini comic would not be worth good $$ nor surpass the value of Rick and Morty 1. I said/meant to say that I don't believe that the value of Rick and Morty 1 will go down because of this newly acknowledged first appearance. Collectors are unlikely to dump RAM 1 to purchase Good Morty. Instead they are likely to add Good Morty to their "must have a copy" (wish) list.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
Here is a video I made about the difference in the Bluray case that made me identify my copy as fake.

There are two production differences between the bootleg and the genuine comic. I am still trying to get concrete information on these before telling people about them.

Did you get a new place? Looks nice.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@shrewbeer The date on the package said 10/14 so I figured what the heck, worth a shot. This is why I swore off gambling years ago! 😎 The girl at my local Gamestop is just obsessed with it. She says it’s the funniest thing ever. We’ll see. . .

We know she's not self employed...unless she's the owner...but is she a 25-35 year old gamer stoner, self entitled social media god(ess)?
Post 109 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio she’s a goddess for sure. Couldn’t say of the rest.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:

it is real because i bought it 8 months ago off amazon brand new, opened the shrink wrap and everything myself brah and it's a dvd of season 1. the dvd is silver and does not appear to be a reproduction or copy. the images on the discs are bold and crisp, do not look blurry or faded with lighter shade or tone of colors either. *shrugs*

In the pictures you posted your copy does look genuine. I could be wrong.

HOWEVER

All the bootleg copies that I have discovered and spoken to other collectors about WERE shrink wrapped. Which means someone mass produced these. DVDS are easier to reproduce and pirate than blurays so I would assume the same thing has been done with the DVDs.
I purchased my copy the day the news came out which means the bootleg copies were on the market before anyone realized the comic collecting fandom of the Good Morty comic.

Also - the copy that started this entire conversation on the Google + community CBSI also turned out to be fake, which means the fakes have been on the market for what I would assume is a fairly long time.
Post 111 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
So so far the only way to tell is with booklets that come packaged with the discs?
Are there telltale differences in the books themselves?
Post 112 IP   flag post
Seems odd that someone would go to the trouble and expense of bootlegging printed booklets...
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So I picked up a copy of the DVD from my local Walmart last night. It was the only copy on the shelf. I have not opened it yet, but what are the chances of a booklet being in there? I'd prefer not to waste the $20 since there are no returns on DVDs after opening.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
I know that the copy I have is 100% authentic and original. I purchased the season 1 DVDs the week they were released. In light of all this fakery I would advise anyone searching for a copy not to buy off eBay. Realistically, the % of fakes being sold right now is probably ridiculously high. Don't get burned in pursuit of this Grail.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Tell me, tell me!
Post 116 IP   flag post
@Darkga I'd say return it and save your money. Or open it and enjoy your DVDs.
Post 117 IP   flag post
I suppose it's possible that the bootleggers got a hold of legitimate Good Morty extras to "legitimize" their bootlegs.

Bootlegging DVDs isn't too hard...but printing books is substantially more difficult, and requires equipment (to do it correctly) that most people don't have access to.
Post 118 IP   flag post
I can't say for sure, but I'm starting to think that the 2 staple versions maybe in fact all be fakes...
Post 119 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
No. Mine has 2 staples. I bought my dvd release the week of release as well.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Quote:

The DVD was released in 2014. And you said you bought it 8 month ago?
Post 121 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
So I picked up a copy of the DVD from my local Walmart last night. It was the only copy on the shelf. I have not opened it yet, but what are the chances of a booklet being in there? I'd prefer not to waste the $20 since there are no returns on DVDs after opening.

Exactly what happened to me. Only one copy at the WalMart (actually, only one copy in my whole town). Naturally I bought it, and naturally no "prize" in it.

If you have no desire to own the DVD for viewing purposes, I suggest just returning it and buy something you know is good with your $20.00
Post 122 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@jimmylinguini hilarious video man, well done.

I wonder if any books made it through grading before the news that some are fake broke?? What a mess 😬
Post 123 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
Quote:

The DVD was released in 2014. And you said you bought it 8 month ago?

I bought it 8 months ago from a seller on amazon. So no, I did not buy it the week of release.

This does not appear to be a copy. I can take photos of the dvds and case for comparison. I am now starting to wonder myself at this point. But my point is, if something I bought 8 months ago is not likely to be a fake when this news come out this week, though....right?
Post 124 IP   flag post

Post 125 IP   flag post

Post 126 IP   flag post

Post 127 IP   flag post
OK so this one has two discs attached to each door

Post 128 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I bought it 8 months ago from a seller on amazon. So no, I did not buy it the week of release.

This does not appear to be a copy. I can take photos of the dvds and case for comparison. I am now starting to wonder myself at this point. But my point is, if something I bought 8 months ago is not likely to be a fake when this news come out this week, though....right?

It still could be, but people weren't looking. it took this time to come to light. I doubt they just started making the fakes this month
Post 129 IP   flag post
However these for that I bought this week on Amazon have a separate insert for a disc holder And none of them have the good morty booklet

Post 130 IP   flag post
601307 498 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.