Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

CGC says "GOOD MORTY" is 1st appearance now.4564

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Also, the apparently bootlegged sets ( blue plastic inside of the book with a re-writable DVD (which has a black background)...and a lighter tone of inks on The Good Morty book included....could just be that Roland was trying to save money on production costs on a percentage of the 1st pressing in 2014, after charging a premium on the first part of the run, which he promoted as randomly inserted signed copies of Good Morty.

This would make good business sense on Roland's part.

Using rewritable discs and cheaper paper stock/lower ink quality, saves money.

OTOH:

I have a good friend who worked/wirks as a 1st pressman for the past 15+ years.

He has ran off a couple hundred backing boards, using much thicker paper stock than regular backing boards, at the shop he works.

He still has his job.

So yeah....a press Man could do this, in quantities...say a 100, to play it safe.

Good info cak.

It's not too far fetched to think that a press shop could be in decline in this day and age as well. People do things they wouldnt normally do when presented with money problems.

I can certainly see a pressman and the shop manager collaborating on a big run to make a quick buck on thousands of bootleg DVDS... More probable than theft of the print run, and certainly not "sci-fi intriguing" or "completely improbable" lol
Post 401 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
This make Hulk's head hurt.

But even Hulk laughs at the surmise that a fake (bootlegged) DVD would have a legitimate booklet in it.

And yes, I know that anything is "possible". But c'mon.
Post 402 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by joephizz
@shrewbeer I believe DocBrown was just suggesting there could have been more than one authorized print run, perhaps from multiple printers.

It's not beyond comprehension that a proportion of one specific batch could have fallen into the wrong hands, prompting the idea to create a knock-off blu-ray with case, covers etc. and then inserting the stolen (authorized) copies of the comic.

Potentially far fetched but not impossible!

Exactly. The only people making the decision about how and where they're printed officially are the copyright holders...I don't know, someone else can say, but I imagine that would be adult swim and/or the creators. They can decide what they want to have printed, where, when, and how, with a phone call.

With the digitization of art, it's as easy as a call to order a different batch.

But remember Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is usually the right one. While it's possible that another batch was obtained by bootleggers, is it also possible that the "bootleg" copies were simply additional

Yes, I know that re-writable DVDs and blurry print graphics on the package are nearly 100% "bootleg" giveaways. I'm not doubting that...just raising the question of "what if...?"
Post 403 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@DocBrown I have been thinking the same thing as more info about the actual comics comes to light. I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple sources for printing, each with a slight difference.

Another thing I've noticed about almost all the comics is how precise and straight the staples are. I'm perhaps being naive but I imagine anyone bootlegging the comics (back when they were thought to be worthless) would be stapling the books by hand and therefore we'd see at least some books with wonky staples.

Anyone bootlegging the DVD or Blu-Ray would have access to equipment that would staple the books via a machine.

Basically, anyone who works at a print shop, who is an experienced 1st or even 2nd Press Operator ( the trade term is 1st or 2nd Pressman) could produce the apparently bootlegged DVD/Blu-Ray sets with the apparently bbootlegged Good Morty.

The problem with that scenario is who is in control of the original art? If you don't have access to the digital files of the original art...or the original art itself, if it exists in physical format...then you're going to have more problems than it's worth to "bootleg" these tracts.

Again: there was no financial motive to do so. So, those of you in the "fake copies" camp are going to have to come up with a plausible motive for why anyone would do it...and "total authenticity" isn't plausible, because it's more trouble than it's worth, just to include something that is basically a throwaway insert before last week.

Think about it: why do you think bootleg DVDs almost universally LOOK "bootlegged"?

It's because someone used 2nd generation scans of the finished DVD case, which resulted in degradation. And, in addition, they used cheap, re-writeable DVDs...not "official product" DVDs.

If that's the case with a bootleg DVD...it's certainly going to be the case with a bootleg tract. If the bootleggers didn't go to the trouble of making a high quality copy of the original, enough to fool even sharp eyed observers...why on earth would they go to the much more trouble of printing off Good Mortys...?
Post 404 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

@DocBrown, Claiming "authorized" printed books in illegally printed media is laughable. Are you saying someone "authorized" a print run for fake dvds?

No, and you could do a lot better if you didn't call the points other people make "laughable." That doesn't advance the discussion; it's just getting your digs in.
Post 405 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
@DocBrown I have been thinking the same thing as more info about the actual comics comes to light. I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple sources for printing, each with a slight difference.

Another thing I've noticed about almost all the comics is how precise and straight the staples are. I'm perhaps being naive but I imagine anyone bootlegging the comics (back when they were thought to be worthless) would be stapling the books by hand and therefore we'd see at least some books with wonky staples.

Anyone bootlegging the DVD or Blu-Ray would have access to equipment that would staple the books via a machine.

Basically, anyone who works at a print shop, who is an experienced 1st or even 2nd Press Operator ( the trade term is 1st or 2nd Pressman) could produce the apparently bootlegged DVD/Blu-Ray sets with the apparently bbootlegged Good Morty.

The bootleg DVDs are copies...poor ones...and almost certainly made at a sub-standard operation, as all bootleg DVDs are. No legitimate printer is going to be involved with making bootlegs, and "surreptitious" print runs at a legitimate printer are going to be found out fairly quickly.

It's not 1977, after all.
Post 406 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
@shrewbeer I believe DocBrown was just suggesting there could have been more than one authorized print run, perhaps from multiple printers.

It's not beyond comprehension that a proportion of one specific batch could have fallen into the wrong hands, prompting the idea to create a knock-off blu-ray with case, covers etc. and then inserting the stolen (authorized) copies of the comic.

Potentially far fetched but not impossible!

Exactly. The only people making the decision about how and where they're printed officially are the copyright holders...I don't know, someone else can say, but I imagine that would be adult swim and/or the creators. They can decide what they want to have printed, where, when, and how, with a phone call.

With the digitization of art, it's as easy as a call to order a different batch.

But remember Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is usually the right one. While it's possible that another batch was obtained by bootleggers, is it also possible that the "bootleg" copies were simply additional

Yes, I know that re-writable DVDs and blurry print graphics on the package are nearly 100% "bootleg" giveaways. I'm not doubting that...just raising the question of "what if...?"

Agreed 100% here with you, DB.
Post 407 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Keep it civil please
Post 408 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@DocBrown, Claiming "authorized" printed books in illegally printed media is laughable. Are you saying someone "authorized" a print run for fake dvds?

No, and you could do a lot better if you didn't call the points other people make "laughable." That doesn't advance the discussion; it's just getting your digs in.

Thought the notion was funny. Would you prefer I abreviate it to "lol"?

I think I've done plenty in this thread to advance the discussion. There's no need for you to take things so personal... PLEASE dont get this thread locked; back on topic, shall we? ❤
Post 409 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The problem with that scenario is who is in control of the original art? If you don't have access to the digital files of the original art...or the original art itself, if it exists in physical format...then you're going to have more problems than it's worth to "bootleg" these tracts.

Again: there was no financial motive to do so. So, those of you in the "fake copies" camp are going to have to come up with a plausible motive for why anyone would do it...and "total authenticity" isn't plausible, because it's more trouble than it's worth, just to include something that is basically a throwaway insert before last week.

Think about it: why do you think bootleg DVDs almost universally LOOK "bootlegged"?

It's because someone used 2nd generation scans of the finished DVD case, which resulted in degradation. And, in addition, they used cheap, re-writeable DVDs...not "official product" DVDs.

If that's the case with a bootleg DVD...it's certainly going to be the case with a bootleg tract. If the bootleggers didn't go to the trouble of making a high quality copy of the original, enough to fool even sharp eyed observers...why on earth would they go to the much more trouble of printing off Good Mortys...?

I have two pet theories on this whole Good Morty issue.

One of the two theories is the post above of yours, that I just replied to with "DB, agreed with you on this 100%".

The 2nd pet theory is:

that maybe a 1st pressman realized that he could manipulate the market, 2 months ago.

Said pressman, would have incrementally printed off a few hundred DVD/Blu-Ray , over the course of the past month or several months, BEFORE this anonymous phone call to CGC...was made to....than after spreading the word via Facebook, creating the potential for Good Morty's to sell for hundreds of dollars overnight.....and than they could sell them on ebay, factory sealed with no indication they may or may not contain Good Morty , at $20 or less, a pop......and still cash out , BEFORE graded copies hit the market.

The same pictures were used in the first few eBay sales of Good Morty's, FWIW.

A month of incrementally printing out a total of 500 of these , would lead to the ability to sell say a 100 Good Morty's in raw/unslabbed at $100-$500 a pop.

This hysteria would allow them to dump the rest of the bootlegged copies onto eBay at $10-$20 a pop.

So the individual(s) woukd cash in immediately via big number sales.....and than the remainder of shrinkwrapped copies, would be sold balls cheap on eBay.With the faked Good Morty included.

Speculator buys 1 set or 2, than whamm-o....they buy more, and than all of the duped Good Morty DVD/BLU-RAY sets are sold through, BEFORE CGC/CBCS grades any as counterfeits.

Either scenario is equally plausible.
Post 410 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think I've done plenty in this thread to advance the discussion. There's no need for you to take things so personal... PLEASE dont get this thread locked; back on topic, shall we? ❤

Two things:

1. PLEASE don't get this thread locked.

2. Suggesting you not use provocative language isn't "taking things personal (sic)." It's just basic courtesy. I don't see people running around calling your comments "laughable", or anything of the sort; why not just acknowledge that and don't do it, yourself...?
Post 411 IP   flag post
In addition to, or rather, to respond to the issue DB raised about the original art issue ....I am not sure about that.

I am not sure about anything yet,
other than if an individual was suave enough, to figure out the potential for the second scenario, and was a Pressman by trade...or perpetuated this scam with a friend of his who made his living as a Pressman, the financial motive clearly outweighs the work involved. This is thousands of dollars, in pure profit, not accounting for eBay and PayPal fees.
Post 412 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One of the two theories is the post above of yours, that I just replied to with "DB, agreed with you on this 100%".

The 2nd pet theory is:

that maybe a 1st pressman realized that he could manipulate the market, 2 months ago.

Said pressman, would have incrementally printed off a few hundred DVD/Blu-Ray , over the course of the past month or several months, BEFORE this anonymous phone call to CGC...was made to....than after spreading the word via Facebook, creating the potential for Good Morty's to sell for hundreds of dollars overnight.....and than they could sell them on ebay, factory sealed with no indication they may or may not contain Good Morty , at $20 or less, a pop......and still cash out , BEFORE graded copies hit the market.

A month of incrementally printing out a total of 500 of these , would lead to the ability to sell say a 100 Good Morty's in raw/unslabbed at $100-$500 a pop.

This hysteria would allow them to dump the rest of the bootlegged copies onto eBay at $10-$20 a pop.

So the individual(s) woukd cash in immediately via big number sales.....and than the remainder of shrinkwrapped copies, would be sold balls cheap on eBay.With the faked Good Morty included.

Speculator buys 1 set or 2, than whamm-o....they buy more, and than all of the duped Good Morty DVD/BLU-RAY sets are sold through, BEFORE CGC/CBCS grades any as counterfeits.

I'm going to have to disagree that either scenario is equally plausible.

Remember: the fewer assumptions that need to be made, the more likely the scenario is to be true.
Post 413 IP   flag post
Fewer assumptions made = anything in a fake case is fake.

Anything beyond that is, although possible, speculating conspiracy
Post 414 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 2nd pet theory is:

Post 415 IP   flag post

Post 416 IP   flag post
Quote:

No, because you then have to assume that someone went to the trouble and expense of faking printed material, which is not easy to do with anything resembling similar quality, with no financial motive to do so.

And if one says it was all a conspiratorial chess game, plotted out months or years in advance, without any assurance that such a scheme would work...I don't think that needs to be pointed out that that's the stuff of X-Files plots.
Post 417 IP   flag post
Also Rick and Morty collectibles or comics really didn’t truly blow up to astronomical prices until March of this year to present day. Maybe even this summer, really.
Post 418 IP   flag post
Quote:
In addition to, or rather, to respond to the issue DB raised about the original art issue ....I am not sure about that.

I am not sure about anything yet,
other than if an individual was suave enough, to figure out the potential for the second scenario, and was a Pressman by trade...or perpetuated this scam with a friend of his who made his living as a Pressman, the financial motive clearly outweighs the work involved. This is thousands of dollars, in pure profit, not accounting for eBay and PayPal fees.

Your theory here requires acts of subterfuge that aren't plausible, and would require planning and luck on a scale not worth such a petty (as in small) scheme.

The risk involved alone, for an item that was functionally worthless until quite literally a week ago, would be far too much for most people.

It's a fantastic idea, don't get me wrong...but it would require things beyond the conspirator's control...like, you know...the market reacting. There wasn't a financial motive until last week...it would have been a tremendous risk that could very easily have not panned out.

The question remains unanswered: how does said "Pressman" get a hold of the digital files necessary to print copies that are of the same quality as "the originals"? Without those, without access to the original art, they would need to either 1. redraw the whole book, or 2. scan it, which would have resulted in generational decay.
Post 419 IP   flag post
DB...the primary reason why I think both scenarios are equally plausible, is that a hefty profit motive exists, for the second scenario.

A supporting point for the second scenario is that the request to CGC for a label update on the Good Morty book was made via a phone call, which could be done anonymously, using a $20 burner pre-paid cell phone.

If the request was made via CGCForum's "Ask CGC" subforum, that would involved a traceable trail.

Even if an individual created a CGCForum board account, and went so far as to use a Proxy IP address, that could conceivably be tracked down by a CGC moderator, if the CGC moderator had reason to believe this was a scam.CGC and CBCS now have reason to believe such a label update inquiry request is market manipulation.

They would not have known this, BEFORE this CBCS thread came into being, or even up to a few days ago.

Ostensibly, using a $25 burner cell phone to get this snowball rolling, eliminates any risk of being caught red handed.
Post 420 IP   flag post
Burner phones LOL!
Post 421 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Probably the funnest thread going right now. Rick N Morty type comic, annimation, humor is not my cup of tea. But I am a gambler and ordered 3 season 1s from Amazon (which I blame everyone in this thread for) which should be arriving next week. Can't wait to see my roll of the dice!!!😎
Post 422 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
DB...the primary reason why I think both scenarios are equally plausible, is that a hefty profit motive exists, for the second scenario.

A supporting point for the second scenario is that the request to CGC for a label update on the Good Morty book was made via a phone call, which could be done anonymously, using a $20 burner pre-paid cell phone.

If the request was made via CGCForum's "Ask CGC" subforum, that would involved a traceable trail.

Even if an individual created a CGCForum board account, and went so far as to use a Proxy IP address, that could conceivably be tracked down by a CGC moderator, if the CGC moderator had reason to believe this was a scam.CGC and CBCS now have reason to believe such a label update inquiry request is market manipulation.

They would not have known this, BEFORE this CBCS thread came into being, or even up to a few days ago.

Ostensibly, using a $25 burner cell phone to get this snowball rolling, eliminates any risk of being caught red handed.

The main problem with this is that CGC ALWAYS regarded this book as the first appearance of the characters which is why they didn't label Rick and Morty #1 from Oni Press as the first comic appearance of the characters.
Post 423 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Probably the funnest thread going right now. Rick N Morty type comic, annimation, humor is not my cup of tea. But I am a gambler and ordered 3 season 1s from Amazon (which I blame everyone in this thread for) which should be arriving next week. Can't wait to see my roll of the dice!!!😎

They have to be original season 1 dvd or bluray sets sold in 2015-2016. Anything now is considered a second or third pressing of the discs and the comic book is not inside of the current ones at market.
Post 424 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

They have to be original season 1 dvd or bluray sets sold in 2015-2016. Anything now is considered a second or third pressing of the discs and the comic book is not inside of the current ones at market.

I agree. According to the listing, the product I'm to receive was produced in 2014. We'll see what the Black Spinning Hole of a Lottery the great Amazon has speeding my way!!!😎
Post 425 IP   flag post

Post 426 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Where can I see and read the actual story in this "Good Morty" tract/mini comic or whatever you want to call it outside of getting a copy for myself? Is it posted somewhere?
Post 427 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would you please stop being such a meanie? Think of the children.

#snowflake
Post 428 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

As I have mentioned before, there are very sophisticated bootleg operations in Hong Kong that are basically used as money laundering fronts for organized crime. This is not speculation, it is fact as one of the more well known anime bootleg fronts was busted by Interpol within the last 10 years. They have professional quality equipment and produce professional quality results, so it is not out of the realm of possibility nor nearly as difficult as some people would make it seem.
Post 429 IP   flag post
Unlikely tho
Post 430 IP   flag post
600653 498 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.