Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

Just Finished DK III: The Master Race4507

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'm late to this, cuz I wanted to wait for the hardcover & I just finished it.

I thought it was great. An excellent continuation of Dark Knight Returns (let's just ignore 'Strikes Again', shall we?

It was dark but incredibly relevant. I especially liked the evolution of Carrie Kelly.

A friend of mine didn't care for Dark Knight Returns because he felt like Batman was portrayed as just a brute thug & not "the worlds greatest detective". I see what he was saying, but still felt Batmanbused his brains in the first installment. Fighting the mutant leader in the mud comes to mind.

I bring this up because Batman definitely used his brains a lot in part three. You have to when fighting Kryptonians.

What did you think of Dark Knight III: The Madter Race?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was good, not great. I really liked a lot of the art and the mini comics within the books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Very disappointed in it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@NoahSult Were you a fan of the original?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on the fence - way better than Strikes Again - but hard to touch the original.
Compared to what is out there in the super hero books this was good - I really liked it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
First part showed how good of a strategist and fighter he is, especially against the mighty Superman (who is pretty much a jerk here). [ enough to inspire a movie----that showed how dumb the whole idea really is ]
Now? After another story of Superman and Wonder Woman hook up, have a kid and this time the kid is a bit like Damien.
Fortunately, it turns out that Superman isn't the smuck Batman has thought him to be. Supes even helps to save the day. Even the rest of the JLA help out. Who would have guessed? Oh yeah, Bats even acknowledges that Supes is a much better hero than he thought. WOW!!

HYPERTIME started out to do so much for story ideas...maybe somebody could bring it back...especially have Batman meet more versions of himself and the different Superman/Wonder Woman pairs meet each other as well...Oh,Mister Miller...!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim yes I was, but I find frank millers writing now to just be, well, bad. All star Batman and robin, holy terror and now this have put me to the point where I probably won't bother with his next title.
Post 7 IP   flag post
To each their own, I suppose.

He has stated he's working on a 4th installment & a Carrie Kelly solo story.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user

I bought into the hype and got this comic. but never read it cuz I don't like Batman. Too many variants make any variant hard to sell so I give the whole thing a 3/10
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yeah, I'm anti-variant when it comes to more than say two covers.

That said, that is a sweet cover.
Post 10 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I am one of those types that avoid entire runs if I have to skip an entire chapter or volume. And with Frank Miller, I loved The Dark Knight Returns. I also loved Spawn/Batman, which made me wonder how it tied to that series. As well as Year One...Along with most of All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder.

But you are right... The Dark Knight Strikes Again was bad. To the point that I'll do what you were planning and check it out at the closest Barnes & Noble I can visit (which is in a neighboring city).
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
@NoahSult His next title is supposed to be a Sin City western.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was pretty good overall. There were some spots that could have been better but I really enjoyed it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Read the first half and gave up on it. The pacing seemed a bit off. Miller's best days are behind him. This will not go down as a Miller masterpiece.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600899 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?