Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

One-Shot Battle: Marvel Legacy vs DC Rebirth4473

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
1. Both are books promising to bring hope and optimism back to their respective worlds.
2. Both refer to moments way back in time.
3. Both feature BIG reveals
4. Both have multiple covers
5. Both use a larger narrative that speaks about the characters and company itself

BUT who did it better? Tell us but also tell us why

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The DC art is better.

But, I's been an entire year and I still dont know for sure wtfh is up or down in the overall picture of the DC universe(s). Hoping Doomsday clock gives us all clarity.

No clue on Marvel Legacy, I havent read any of it. If they actually let readers know what exactly is going on right off the bat, then they win imo lol
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Yah, the books for Rebirth have been good, but still in the dark about the universe continuity.

There really is no way that I could form an opinion about Legacy after 1 issue.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
DC started with a misnomer. It's not a rebirth, but a weird collection of "events" rebuilding:
* Earth's Superman died, a Superman from another Earth showed up (with his family), then the dead and living Superman (& Lois Lanes) merge to make a different version of themselves.

* Batman gets killed, Bruce is cured of that part of his personality as he lives a kinder life then undergoes a "reprogramming" of his mind to bring Batman back.

* Wonder Woman finds that much of her life and memories are not real.
Where does this put her time with the Justice League and with Superman?

* Flash finds Wally comes back and that 10 years has been stolen from this Earth's timeline. (NOT by Pandora as believed after Barry met her after FLASHPOINT.) (How and why time was taken still needs to be revealed.)

* Martian Manhunter was decimated with the way he was handled. Now, he's an "invention" of the White Martians.

* Hawkman from space is divorced and is now dead.

* Spectre, killed and created with the Phantom Stranger's help, is guarding the gates of Heaven.

* the JSA is missing, but is completely forgotten about

* the Titans forgot they ever knew each other, but recovered with Wally's help

* Nightwing was killed by Lex Luthor and the Crime Syndicate. Then he was brought back to life and became a spy for a time.

* Lex is now a hero, wearing the cape of the Superman who died but now, never existed. He became a major hero when he and some of the Flash's rogues saved Earth from the Crime Syndicate.

Rebirth? Not really. Lots of confusion? Oh yeah, especially since you don't know if what has been real still is.
Remember the "Zero Hour" storyline? At least that had a real starting point everyone worked from.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
in my opinion DC rebirth is way better and I feel that the new marvel legacy is just a rip off of rebirth. I think that marvel slumping sales drove them to do their own DC rebirth event after seeing the success of rebirth.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
in my opinion DC rebirth is way better and I feel that the new marvel legacy is just a rip off of rebirth. I think that marvel slumping sales drove them to do their own DC rebirth event after seeing the success of rebirth.

And it gives them a reason for a whole new round of number 1s.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The DC art is better

☝🏻 That
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
The only DC books I've read are these new Batman Metal books my buddy lets me borrow when he's done. I've primarily stuck with Marvel. But that being said I did really enjoy Legacy. Probably because as someone that hasn't read any other large event it was fun to see all the characters.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't read any marvel books in quite some time so I decided to give legacy a chance. I stopped reading after a few pages since the characters didn't seem to matter to me much like they did years before when I was a huge marvel fan. I thought the idea was a rip off of Rebirth.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Just look at D.C. Rebirth so far, a lot of characters have their own runs with their own events with some talented writers and artists working on them. Plus the same talent team is either working on the titles they started or has worked on that same title for many issues and has transferred over to an equally talented team. As a bonus DC has great events going on right now within the rebirth universe, just take a look at how popular dark Knight metal is right now!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector I_AM_IRON_MAN private msg quote post Address this user
I have only read Aquaman rebirth, all of it. LOVE IT. Very refreshing. Not Legacy, but have also read X-Men Blue and Gold, all of them. THEY BLOW. I will be dropping them very soon. I'm sad I didn't pick up more Rebirth titles when they kicked off because I was stuck on the sinking, sunk?, Marvel ship. No more new Marvel titles for me, I can guarantee that no matter what they do.

Here is my scorecard: DC 1 - MARVEL 0
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I just read Batman Murder Machine. I try to wait a few months before reading a series so that I can read it all in one sitting but the metal books are really good reads.
Post 12 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Right now, I am giving the trophy to Marvel. Rebirth is just them doing a New 52 patch job while preparing for the next major reboot. Even Jim Lee hinted at Rebirth not being permanent, which makes me feel that there is no real reason to stick with this era.

But it was very close. Because there are signs that Marvel has a contingency plan that will be revealed in the next major change. And if both my speculations and presumptions are correct, it will make any fan that chose to jump ship have non-reboot related reasons to get back on.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Coke Zero Cherry or Diet Cherry Pepsi? Hmmm...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going with DC. I only made it through about 8 pages of legacy and said yup marvel is still boring.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Coke Zero Cherry or Diet Cherry Pepsi? Hmmm...
I'll take a cherry uncola, thank you.
Post 16 IP   flag post
597890 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?