Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

TFAW and online subscriptions4412

Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone use TFAW on a regular basis? Just got my first order from them and it sucked. The books were just in a cardboard envelope (very lightweight) tons of spins creases and there was one book missing from the order. I'm wondering of this was an isolated incident or if it is normal for TFAW.

For members that use online services for your pull list, who do you like, not like?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I do use them from time to time.

If you just order a few comics they use cardboard. If you order more they will use box. The good thing about thaw is that they only charge when they send and you can add to existing orders. Quality of the comics has been up and down.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I ordered 5 books- got 4 with no explanation on the missing book.
All of the books were in one oversized bag - no backers or anything to support or protect the books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I have gotten some great deals on variants and back issues during their sales.

Midtown set a limit of 1 on SG 13 last week so I ordered the books for that week from TFAW including 15 copies of SG 13. Quality was similar to Midtown but TFAW asks for $0.25 for bag / board combos while Midtown sends the books inside free bags and boards.

Midtown also seems to ship faster but to be fair they are much closer to my location.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
I've used both TFAW and Midtown. I really don't like that you have to pony up for bag/board with TFAW but ah well. But I think it said somewhere in the shipping description that it was coming in a cardboard sleeve (I could be mistaken) which is why I added the bag/board I've never received anything damaged from either company--maybe just lucky?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@kclaw97 I think both companies take very good care to pack the books. Props to DCBS on the same.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I would HIGHLY recommend g-mart.com... While they don't have all of the bells and whistles of some of the larger sites, if you set up an account on the site, they post Previews in its entirety every month, so you can pre-order ANYTHING at a discount. You pay at the end of every ordering cycle AT A DISCOUNT, set your shipping frequency, set if you want bags, boards, set your condition requirements (normal, collectible, higher quality, only high quality, whatever), and other things... I set up my shipping, so I only get packages when it ships free. I get enough, so I still get my boxes regularly, and the condition is stellar. They're not HUGE, so they don't always hit the thresholds necessary to get every single incentive cover (for example, they won't be able to get every Marvel lenticular), but that's okay... Variants you can buy the day of release on their web site (often the night before) for FAIR prices. I can't tell you how many times I've seen variant covers going for $10, $15, $25 on big sites that they've had for $5, $8, $15... I get the books, and condition has always been stellar (9.6 / 9.8). Boxes come well padded with popcorn, books are stacked, bagged in little bundles.

Anyway, off my soapbox, but I've done a lot of services over the years, pulls at shops, too, for 31 years of HEAVY collecting, and for the last ten, I've always gone back to g-mart.com. I have absolute control over everything, which I love...
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone I know who buys from TFAW get's spine dents and corners blunted. Poor shipping.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I've got another order pending with them. If its screwed up again, I won't use them anymore.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I dumped comic cartel for this very reason. Orders went unfulfilled to the point of having to refund me $200 and change. Boxes were dented and customer service was non-existant.

Giving atomic empire a try. My first shipment is due this next week.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics
I couldn't even get an order placed with Comic Cartel. After a week+ of getting the run around, I gave up. Can't imagine what the customer service would AFTER the sale.

Let me know if you like Atomic Empire.
If TFAW screws me again, I'll be trying something new. Already a few good suggestions here but it never hurts to have a backup
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I've never really had a problem with DCBS. I've tried some others and for the price and quality of the books I am very happy with DCBS
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I used DCBS for years and never had one single problem with them. The only reason I don't use them anymore is that I'm primarily a DC collector and got so sick of the New 52 that I cut my pull down to just Batman, Tec, Amazing Spider-Man, Star Wars and the Archie Horror books, so I just moved my subs back to my LCBS as at that point discount vs. shipping was close to a wash.

I've never had a full subscription from Midtown, but have ordered a lot of one off books and back issues from them in the past and never had any issues, either.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Got this yesterday🙁

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks. I will never buy from TFAW if that's how they package. Whether I order one book or a thousand, I want adequate protection to get me the books undamaged. What they charge me is negotiable. Receiving damaged product is not.
Post 15 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I ordered from TFAW online... Once. I ordered a few Dark Horse related comics tied to Star Wars: The Old Republic. It had a character I was interested in at the time, and was hoping to make up for not collecting their Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic tie-in. I personally thought my order included bag and boards for the issues I ordered, even after an online glitch made me go back to confirm my order.

What I got was not only deprived on said bag and boards, my order had the same type of damage @RexMuff has experienced with his order. Called them up, asked for an explanation, had the issue resolved, returned the comics, got a refund, and failed to find any reason to order new comics online since then. Which only bugs me when it comes to me missing out on Geoff John and Jim Lee's first New 52 arc for Justice League.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I like Jetpack Comics and Midtown.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
I keep telling people about unknowncomics.com I've been using them for a long time now and they have awesome customer service. I message them on fb or email about what I want on my pull list and I get a confirmation. If I want something extra in the month, same thing. They offer 35% off cover for pull list members and will get you incentive variants if you tell them before FOC. They got me the Artgerm incentive for Street Fighter Vs Dark Stalkers, so it's not just mainstream incentives. They invoice you depending on how you want to be invoiced, weekly, twice a month or monthly. Shipping is $6 usually. Every comic comes bagged and boarded at no extra cost as well. I've had a few zenescope covers come with spine ticks, they ordered more and the new order also came damaged. They kept those and sent another order in. I've had large pull orders that have come in Diamond boxes. All packed extremely well with bubble wrap and popcorn.

When I see a certain cover I want, I just message them and they hold it for me too. Like cover C of whatever. Even after FOC, as long as they have it, they will add it to your box. The day of Teen Titans #12 (first appearance of the Batman Who Laughs), I asked them if they had any. They said yes and they added both covers to my next box.

They have their own variant covers by major artists like Ed McGuinness and Tyler Kirkham too.

I can't say enough good things about them.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff
Got this yesterday🙁

That's pretty close to how mine looked.
Post 19 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@Revelations The site name you have given us leads to a dead end. I was hoping it did not since it would have been great to check out new comic book related websites. But this one... Dead end.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Instant_Subtitles it sounds like he's talking about unknowncomicbooks.com

Good people there, but the online previews are not usually up to date. You usually need to know what you want before you get to the site.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
@Revelations The site name you have given us leads to a dead end. I was hoping it did not since it would have been great to check out new comic book related websites. But this one... Dead end.

Yeah, sorry about that. https://unknowncomicbooks.com
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Instant_Subtitles it sounds like he's talking about unknowncomicbooks.com

Good people there, but the online previews are not usually up to date. You usually need to know what you want before you get to the site.

That's true. No site is perfect, but the information is available elsewhere. I'll take shipped near mint comics at 35% off over a website that has more updated descriptions.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
Unknowncomics is nice. Comicxposure is another good one. I suppose its all in relation to where u are to the shipment too, which shouldn’t matter in 2017 with the durable cardbord mailers being available. Im in PA and I know Midtown usually ships to me fast and clean. Though they sometimes have the “rub”, probably just from the amount of books they recieve.

If you subscribe to Unknown they send u e mails about updates. I know they already have Artgerm Supergirl 15 up there. 😎
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, the WORST is paying a premium for a variant, too, and having it delivered in less than perfect condition. Actually, I guess one up from that is paying a high premium for rarer variants ($20 plus) and having spine ticks and such, poor packaging, and a "meh" when you ask about it. Might as well go to eBay. Cool to hear about a few options that work for people! g-mart, unknowncomics, comicxposure.... krscomics doesn't do pulls, but you can pre-order upcoming variants, which is nice (not just their own). I know their deliveries are like Ft Knox.
Post 25 IP   flag post
600891 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?