Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector shanbo5150 private msg quote post Address this user
So I have a Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen # 35 with a completely loose fron cover, BC intact. It's obviously low grade. So is the trade saying that use of carefully applied archival document repair tape will further lower the grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
No, archival tape repair of the type you speak of will not further lower the grade. It also may not improve the grade.

Welcome to the boards
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector shanbo5150 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
No, archival tape repair of the type you speak of will not further lower the grade. It also may not improve the grade.

Welcome to the boards

Thanks. With a fully detached cover I'd prefer to repair it, so appreciate the feedback.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I think using archival tape is perfect in this situation (and others like it.)

I had a Justice League #1 (1960) that was neatly popped at both staples. I didn't want the cover to be at risk for further damage, so I carefully put two small pieces of tape at each staple, just so that cover wouldn't be loose.

It doesn't improve the grade, but it does put the cover at a lower risk for further damage.

And when you have a cover that's a bit brittle at the spine, as this one clearly is, but is nowhere near worth the cost to professionally restore it, some archival tape along the inside would help it from chipping further.

The real question here is...if Jimmy's so mad at Superman, why are they literally standing back to back...? And doesn't Jimmy know that that glass could cut somebody...?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown I think the superman in the picture must be a life size souvenir mannequin that Jimmy owns - otherwise it makes no sense! and yes, he would have been better off ensuring that he was breaking the glass in a safe environment.. safety eyewear should have been used as well!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki666666
@DocBrown I think the superman in the picture must be a life size souvenir mannequin that Jimmy owns - otherwise it makes no sense!

That's got to be it. Brilliant deduction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
and yes, he would have been better off ensuring that he was breaking the glass in a safe environment.. safety eyewear should have been used as well!

That's what I'm saying!
Post 6 IP   flag post
597874 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?