Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

Average grade of title-less comics!4375

Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello brothers! I was wondering if y'all could help me out. I recently bought this Boy Commandos 15 but the cover title is removed back from they shipped it back off after it didn't sell (I believe that was the practice). But I was wondering if 1) it's worth to get graded? 2) what would be the average age and does anyone have any examples. And 3) what would be the average cost to get something like this restored with cover title. Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to some replies.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I got a 0.5 from CGC with a book in a similar state (remainder copy).
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
That is Boy Commandos #15 published in May-June 1946. Personally, I would not bother having it graded but others on the forum may feel otherwise. It's just a matter of whether you want to be able to read the comic in the future.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I think it would probably be graded as 0.5 Il"Incomplete" regardless of the rest of the issue just from the stripped title.

It's the first appearance of Crazy Quilt, so certainly a nice addition to any collection. I'd be happy to have it. Overstreet has it at $60 for a 2.0 and 600 nm.

I'd personally get it graded just to get it in more archival conditions (even if you don't get it graded, I'd get a better bag and board).

I'm not a restoration expert, so can't offer a lot there, but I'd personally enjoy it like it is.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
(even if you don't get it graded, I'd get a better bag and board).

Most definitely do this!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm definitely going to read it, the comic is in great shape for being from 46 so I'm not scared to fumble through it. And the reason I thought about restoring it is I thought it would be a good candidate because it's such an odd comic and I've been after it for a while. And don't worry I'm definitely going to rebag it. I'm a stickler when it comes to having nice bags and boards. I went through my entire collection and replaced bags that had tape on them because they didn't have the resealable bag.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS might get you a slightly better grade as long as the pages aren't brittle. Examine it to figure it's real quality. Get a good read. Good luck.
Post 7 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Remainder comics are dear to my heart as a large portion (50+)
of my collection are these little gems.
Let us know what happens.

Marty
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
I think it would probably be graded as 0.5 Il"Incomplete" regardless of the rest of the issue just from the stripped title.

It's the first appearance of Crazy Quilt, so certainly a nice addition to any collection. I'd be happy to have it. Overstreet has it at $60 for a 2.0 and 600 nm.

I'd personally get it graded just to get it in more archival conditions (even if you don't get it graded, I'd get a better bag and board).

I'm not a restoration expert, so can't offer a lot there, but I'd personally enjoy it like it is.

I kinda/highly doubt it would be an "INCOMPLETE" designation, on the label.

The book, aassuming the back cover is as sharp as the rest of the front cover, looks to be in the Fine range.

My guess is it would fetch a 1.0.

Boy Commandos is a notoriously poor/slow seller, the grading fee would be a deal breaker.

However, lower grade GA books by S & K , do sell around Overstreet in raw GD 2.0 and under.

It is at least a $30 book as it is.

As it is a 1st App issue, of a character that could be construed as a Rahman prototype......but really, any GA book in fair, if it's raw, will sell for Overstreet GD.

Post it up on ebay at Overstreet's GD 2.0 price, it will sell.Maybe not quickly, but I'd put $60 on it and just wait til your BIN gets hit.

Just put it in a Mylite2 and Full Back, include a FC and BC scan.

Use your cell to take a pic of the centerfold, highlight the stories in the book and call it a day.

Grading GA books is not inexpensive, I'd save that fee for this book and put it towards another GA book.

Unless you want it graded, for personal reasons.😊
Post 9 IP   flag post
596795 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?