Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Memorabilia

Unusual Comic-Related Items4369

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
As a side note, Neal Adams draws (or did draw) like Tom Scheuer who is best know as being a writer for Murder She Wrote on television. He uses the pen name Thomas B. Sawyer.

http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.com/2008/04/comic-strip-ad-artist-tom-scheuer.html

http://thomasbsawyer.com/
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Giffen was very distinct, even in the early 80s. Remember when he was a "hot new artist"...? That lasted for all of 20 minutes. I love Giffen's blocky art, even the modern stuff.

Legion #287 was a "hot book" at one point, if you can believe it.

Sigh...gone are the days of the hot artists....hopefully not forever. When a Byrne drawn issue was worth 10 times a surrounding issue. Now...pffft. If it's not a first appearance, TRASH!

I think Giffen started on Defenders. His art had more of a Kirby feel to it. By the time he was doing Legion and Lobo's first appearance, it was a lot cleaner style. I'm sure the inking made all the difference in the world. This does look like Swan or Win Mortimer influence is present. It may have been a Western Publishing artist. Artist can draw in different styles.

Yes, Giffen's first published work was Marvel Preview #4 (Jan 76 cover date.)

He worked at Marvel for a few years, most notably on Defenders, where he co-created...Lunatik!...who bore an interesting resemblance to....well, I'll leave it a mystery for now...

By the time he reached Legion in 1982, his art had developed his familiar blocky style...frankly, I preferred that look in Legion from 1982-1984 to his later stuff...but I still love his later stuff, too, especially Legion #1-20ish (1989.)

Speaking of unusual comic related items, I have these two:

(not my pics)

Comic beer!
Post 52 IP   flag post
I have Armstrong Ale, but no box and no card.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@DocBrown - I actually think it's Adams. The Curt Swan /Murphy Anderson supes from that time looked different, thicker and even more muscular, in my opinion.(snip)

It looks more like John Byrne art to me.

I posted on Byrne's site asking if it was his work. It doesn't look like his work to me ( or Adams for that matter ), but sometimes if you get a certain type of inker, they can take away a lot that's normally recognizable from a penciler.

One of Byrne's first Marvel jobs was in Giant Size Dracula #5 and as inked by Rudy Nebres it is virtually unrecognizable as Byrne art.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@DocBrown - I actually think it's Adams. The Curt Swan /Murphy Anderson supes from that time looked different, thicker and even more muscular, in my opinion.(snip)

I posted on Byrne's site asking if it was his work. It doesn't look like his work to me ( or Adams for that matter ), but sometimes if you get a certain type of inker, they can take away a lot that's normally recognizable from a penciler.

One of Byrne's first Marvel jobs was in Giant Size Dracula #5 and as inked by Rudy Nebres it is virtually unrecognizable as Byrne art.

Direct from John Byrne: "no, that is not my work"
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
These were give aways at Jeremy Hauns table at Fan Expo Canada last year.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Is that what I think it is...? Starts with a "c", ends with an "ondom"...?

lol
Post 57 IP   flag post
@DocBrown yup lol
Post 58 IP   flag post

Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I didn't really think it was Byrne art because he's better with perspective than that. The rocks in the background do look like Byrne art, but that could have been done by anyone who'd inked Byrne art. The rough layout of his body with a curved shape might narrow it down and the wide chin might narrow it down.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I didn't really think it was Byrne art because he's better with perspective than that. The rocks in the background do look like Byrne art, but that could have been done by anyone who'd inked Byrne art. The rough layout of his body with a curved shape might narrow it down and the wide chin might narrow it down.

Speculation among some Byrne board members is early Jerry Ordway, at least the inks. Looks more like Ordway to me than Byrne( who has confirmed it's not his) or Adams.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Ordway did do art for Western prior to 1983. He shared a studio with Broderick in the mid-80's... Hmmm! Broderick/Ordway collaboration? Broderick was part of Continuity Studios artists being credited as "Crusty Bunkers". That might explain why people see an Adams characteristic to it.
I could see this being rough Broderick layout pencils finished by Ordway. I've never seen anything that Ordway did that was as this far exaggerated... not as far as perspective goes.

Overall, I think of Adams, Ordway, and Byrne as all being better artists than this piece.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Copyright 1977

Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Ordway did do art for Western prior to 1983. He shared a studio with Broderick in the mid-80's... Hmmm! Broderick/Ordway collaboration? Broderick was part of Continuity Studios artists being credited as "Crusty Bunkers". That might explain why people see an Adams characteristic to it.
I could see this being rough Broderick layout pencils finished by Ordway. I've never seen anything that Ordway did that was as this far exaggerated... not as far as perspective goes.

Overall, I think of Adams, Ordway, and Byrne as all being better artists than this piece.

Broderick, as in Pat Broderick...? (Not that there are that many Brodericks in the comic art industry.)

Hmmm...

Broderick has such a distinctive style, even at that time. I see where a case might be made, but it's a stretch...

Contemporary Broderick art:

His faces are unique, and I don't see Broderick in Supes' face.
Post 64 IP   flag post
That's why I contemplated a rough layout sketch finished by Ordway. The curvature of Superman stands out in that picture as well as the wide jaw. I'll admit that someone tried for a classic Adams face, but they missed it. Adams used to redraw faces on the art drawn for Continuity comics because he wanted consistency. You're probably right though. It could be drawn by an unknown and we'd be wasting our time guessing. I think I'll give up.
Post 65 IP   flag post

One of the many Doom 2099 books I had signed by Broderick at Fan Expo Canada this yr.
Post 66 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann
That's a great cover. Peanuts (specifically Snoopy) is my other collecting habit. Collected since I was a kid.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

We have something of a confirmation. One of the Byrne board members contacted Ordway via Twitter and Ordway says he peniclled, inked and colored it.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Early work. LOL.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Anyone remember this game?

Post 71 IP   flag post
600655 71 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?