Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

FOR SALE: Uncanny X-Men #297 Pressman4312

Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
FOR SALE: Uncanny X-Men #297 Pressman Gold Variant CBCS 9.8
eBay Listing
This book was featured in the CBCS gallery.

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
And this book is $1500 why?
Post 2 IP   flag post
bump
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
And this book is $1500 why?

Why?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I guess someone must think it's $1500. I know I'm not one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Must be a misplaced decimal point.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the explanation:

These books were only available to those who bought Pressman's X-Men board game, which came out in 1992. In the initial production run, a special edition silver-colored X-Men #11 was included with the game (see picture on box below). Some later versions of the game also included a comic but, in some cases, a mail-away voucher was included instead.

The Silver edition of X-Men #11 is reasonably easy to obtain and there are always a few copies of both #303 and #307 Gold editions available around the various auction sites. However, the gold edition of #297 is by far the hardest to get hold of and always demands a large premium over the other three. In the CGC census there are only 3 copies of #297 recorded - this could be one of the rarest X-Men comics around!

One possible explanation for the rarity of the #297 variant is that it is likely that much larger quantities of the game sold before Christmas 1992 and again coming up to Christmas 1993. Between February 1993 and August 1993 would likely have been a much quieter period for sales hence less copies of the free comic (#297 Gold in this case) may have been obtained. It is also understood that, as well as #11, both #303 and #307 were shipped with the game in some cases but also available as a mail-away in others; #297 was only available as a mail-away hence game owners only got it if they cared to send for it.

Post 7 IP   flag post
@KingNampa
I tried to order this game the day I first saw an article about it in one of the trade magazines of the time. It was another three weeks before it was even available for order.
When my game came in I didn't even know there was a comic inside. I almost didn't open the game, but I wanted to get a look at the "collectable figures" that were part of the game.
I'm glad I did
When I opened it up there was the game instruction booklet under which was a comic book.
The comic was Uncanny X-Men 297, in the game and not a mail-in form.
I don't know where Comic Mayhem and others acquired their information, but what I say here is from my own experience.
I pre-ordered this game.
It came with Uncanny X-Men 297 inside the box.

I cannot attest to the distribution of the other books, but I did buy another game on eBay and it came with Uncanny X-Men 307. I was hoping for another 297.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@The_Curmudgeon good to know. Just posting what info was available on the net
Post 9 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@The_Curmudgeon Thanks for mentioning the CGC census portion of comic collecting! I finally got more information on the comic book I had purchased a few weeks ago, with the census saying that only 4 copies were graded by CGC. And all 4 copies were graded in 2004. Nothing beyond that. So thanks to you, I know that 4 copies were graded a 9.8 in 2004. And 0 copies were graded since the first census.

As for your comic... I found out that less than 500 copies were printed in 1993. And seeing hos you are selling a CBCS graded 9.8, versus the other selling a CGC 9.8, I have to play the Devil's advocate here and say that you price is slightly justified because it might be the only one graded a 9.8 (or even the only one graded at all) by CBCS. Which adds to that sense of rarity a niche group of collectors look out for. And I, for one, will seek out your copy.

Now I can only hope that somebody has a way to find out how much of a print run my issue had. One site claimed 1,500 copies. But an UDON representative told me that it was lower than the regular Adam Warren cover. So I am going to presume that until some official info on the purpose on why it was printed is found, I have to presume only 150-1,500 were printed in 2003.

My thought-based rambling is done... So cheers and good luck.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Best looking label CBCS ever had.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
@The_Curmudgeon Thanks for mentioning the CGC census portion of comic collecting! I finally got more information on the comic book I had purchased a few weeks ago, with the census saying that only 4 copies were graded by CGC. And all 4 copies were graded in 2004. Nothing beyond that. So thanks to you, I know that 4 copies were graded a 9.8 in 2004. And 0 copies were graded since the first census.

As for your comic... I found out that less than 500 copies were printed in 1993. And seeing hos you are selling a CBCS graded 9.8, versus the other selling a CGC 9.8, I have to play the Devil's advocate here and say that you price is slightly justified because it might be the only one graded a 9.8 (or even the only one graded at all) by CBCS. Which adds to that sense of rarity a niche group of collectors look out for. And I, for one, will seek out your copy.

Now I can only hope that somebody has a way to find out how much of a print run my issue had. One site claimed 1,500 copies. But an UDON representative told me that it was lower than the regular Adam Warren cover. So I am going to presume that until some official info on the purpose on why it was printed is found, I have to presume only 150-1,500 were printed in 2003.

My thought-based rambling is done... So cheers and good luck.

If you have any documentation as to the numbers you mention here, it would be very much appreciated. For example...how did you find out that less than 500 copies were printed?

Thank you in advance.
Post 12 IP   flag post
bump
Post 13 IP   flag post
598063 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?