Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool4299

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Back in 2012 my brother and I found this small collection of comic books, magazines, vinyl records and a stack of the eight Forbidden Planet lobby cards at a yard sale. All the items in this stash were from the late 50's to early 60's, most in low to mid-grade condition and the lobby cards were in a tattered cellophane wrap tucked in a large manila envelope. The lobby cards themselves were in very nice condition, looking like they've hardly been touched. Of course we wondered if the lobby cards could be an original unused set or maybe early after market reproductions given the age of the other items they were with. We bought the whole stash and I sent to lobby cards to CGC just to see if they were authentic or not. Well, unfortunately, CGC determined they were not an original set of lobby cards, but high quality reproductions. They were unable to tell me where they might have come from or when they may have been produced as they were exact replicas with no other indications of after market production. It was really too bad, but still, they were amazing to behold.
I did scan one of the cards before we sold them. Here it is.

Post 876 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
The comic book store I order from online (thecanadiancomicbin.com) has a draw at the end of each month for a prize, one order = one entry...I luckily won this today! Signed by Jim Starlin...It's going to look great in the display cabinet!

Post 877 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 878 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 879 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have had this hanging in my home for at least thirty years. Don't remember when or where I obtained it.

It is "Lone Scout, A Real Boys Magazine". Published Feb. 16th, 1918. It is issue #17.

I did not know this until just a few minutes ago. I googled it and found out that the organization started in 1915, and was a Boy Scouts of America type organization for rural kids that could not group with others due to space apart. Then in 1920, the organization announced they would no longer accept individuals of the negro race.

In 1922, they changed the mast head of their magazine (like this one pictured) to Lone Scout, the White Boys Magazine".

In 1924, Lone Star merged with Boy Scouts of America and all participants became members of BSA.

It has something like 20-24 pages. My copy is framed and I don't want to take it out to count.

It's pretty cool to look at, but I did not know about the racist thing until tonight. Apparently that came about because a new leader/director or the national organization was named. George Madison, who made the change.

Post 880 IP   flag post

Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user

Post 881 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan O'niell at his house when I met him a couple years ago to sign my Air Pirate Funnies comics, with his original art when he created Roger rabbit before Disney stole the idea and cleaned it up a little.

Post 882 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Recently got this signed poster. For those not familiar with Johnny Weissmuller, he not only starred in 12 Tarzan movies from 1932-1948, he was also a 5-time Olympic Gold Medal winner for freestyle swimming in 1924 and 1928.

Post 883 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster He is my favorite Tarzan!!! I still occasionally watch reruns of his movies. Great score!!
Post 884 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Not comic related but “cool”. Just having some fun on one my off-roading trips.
Post 885 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
My main stereo & HT system. Apologies if you've seen this before (...but it is kinda cool).

Although I posted another image and examples of music in the "What are you listening to..." thread, my Maggie system (3.7i) fronted by both tube & solid state sources with some serious wattage driving it has an inarguable coolness factor...

An old school home music system may not be as convenient as streaming services listened to over ear buds, but a quality stereo with a well mastered music collection allows the listener to relax and more fully appreciate music instead of using it as background noise to isolate less desirable aspects of everyday human contact.
Post 886 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
My main stereo & HT system. Apologies if you've seen this before (...but it is kinda cool).

Although I posted another image and examples of music in the "What are you listening to..." thread, my Maggie system (3.7i) fronted by both tube & solid state sources with some serious wattage driving it has an inarguable coolness factor...

An old school home music system may not be as convenient as streaming services listened to over ear buds, but a quality stereo with a well mastered music collection allows the listener to relax and more fully appreciate music instead of using it as background noise to isolate less desirable aspects of everyday human contact.

Beautiful. But I’m more curious as to what you have in the wall cabinets. Any good first editions?
Post 887 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Quote:

Beautiful. But I’m more curious as to what you have in the wall cabinets. Any good first editions?

Note: I changed the image slightly to reflect a few system upgrades and lighting. Barrister style cabinets are on both sides. As for first editions, YES, if we're talking about music & video, ...as my set-up is also configured for home theater... most everything in those cabinets is Blu-Ray, DVD, SACD and CD. Alas, no vinyl, but some fairly rare music, films and music video. As for literature, our library is in another area.
Post 888 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Jason S. Campbell's re-envision of "Alice in Wonderland" - ooh-la-la.

Uhm....where's the party again?

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/j-scott-campbell-alice-in-wonderland-sideshow-collectibles-2005061/?ref=fb_datafeed
Post 889 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Coolness indeed!
Post 890 IP   flag post
I haven't bought from Mile High for 5 years now but if you factor in their usual 40%-60% off sales code, this book seems like a good deal.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=enlarge&issue=60042367456%2087%20CGC%209.6
Post 891 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I haven't bought from Mile High for 5 years now but if you factor in their usual 40%-60% off sales code, this book seems like a good deal.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=enlarge&issue=60042367456%2087%20CGC%209.6

Nice...save the exchange and a few percent to boot!!
Post 892 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I just can’t get past their horrible website. I go to it and burns my retinas and makes me hate everyone.
Post 893 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I just can’t get past their horrible website. I go to it and burns my retinas and makes me hate everyone.

lol!! their website is right out of 1994.
Post 894 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I haven't bought any comics from Mile High since Edgar Church's collection was part of Chuck's inventory.
Post 895 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 896 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 897 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 898 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
1939 minty fresh. I haven't seen another copy of this giveaway before.

Post 899 IP   flag post
Posted this super cool publication in the fandom thread, but it deserves special attention as one of the earliest professional periodicals (Supergraphics, 1970) devoted to fandom and collecting. Oversized (11" X 14" & 84pages) with a full wraparound cover created by the artist/author, The Steranko History of Comics (Vol. 1 of 2) delivers both passion for comic collecting and a historic perspective on which to build...

Post 900 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

lol You're too kind
Post 901 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Posted this super cool publication in the fandom thread, but it deserves special attention as one of the earliest professional periodicals (Supergraphics, 1970) devoted to fandom and collecting. Oversized (11" X 14" & 84pages) with a full wraparound cover created by the artist/author, The Steranko History of Comics (Vol. 1 of 2) delivers both passion for comic collecting and a historic perspective on which to build...

There are actually multiple printings of this as well as being a 2nd issue. Yours is probably a 1st printing that would have come in an envelope and be unnumbered. I think the only one I actually own is the last one (#2). If that image is the largest, that's why.

Post 902 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

lol You're too kind

It's definitely the same as it was in 1997 and I like that. It's safer from a security perspective and I can't stand dynamically generated content and stuff going on in the background when all I'm interested in is the content that I searched for. Hurray for static web sites!
Post 903 IP   flag post

Post 904 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 905 IP   flag post
598060 999 30