Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

NEW CGC HOLDER TO CBCS 20% OFF til July 1st429

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@nadabig Don't worry about these guys too much. I understand that you have certain expectations and I don't blame you. The thing is that grading companies almost always run behind. It's the nature of the beast. A few extra days here and there doesn't add up to much when one has waited up to six months or longer for a submission. Some of us have been grading books for years and have forgotten what the anticipation was like when we first started submitting.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
@nadabig This is just my opinion, but if CBCS is producing what many collectors and dealers consider the superior product (after CGC's switch to an ambitious holder that's plagued by a series of ongoing problems) we should expect slower turnaround times for awhile. Presumably the slowdown may be the result of a major uptick in CBCS submissions. CBCS might have to expand the size of their operations to meet the new demands. I don't know this for certain, but if it is the case, these adjustments take time. Given the complexities of the new normal, a little more patience would be my advice. Just sayin'.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector nadabig private msg quote post Address this user
A little back story.

I'm a long time Batman fan, but I dislike collecting the books as it takes a full time commitment and investment that a father of 3 cannot find. Comic collecting was not encouraged or in some senses allowed when I was growing up.

So I recently dove back in and my primary focus is Walking Dead as it is a great series and to obtain the full run is reasonably attainable. So one of my books that I am waiting on will be my first graded TWD book, and one that will be desirable..#108. I'm not flipping it. I had it since before the craze started and outside of my #19 (VF at best and not worth grading) it is the "coolest" book in my TWD collection so far if it comes back a 9.8.

Another is a Lady M variant with only 200 copies. A mostly white cover that I have in pristine condition. There won't be many 9.8s of that one I don't think.

So long story short, I don't like to complicate my collecting. It is starting to seem that grading is making it unpleasant. These may not be prized books to the common collector, but they to me. And I don't like having them in the hands of others if I can help it.
Post 78 IP   flag post
@nadabig I know where you're coming from on prized collectibles. I'm much the same way. After getting to know Steve Borock the past five years or so and meeting West at SDCC, I felt very comfortable entrusting my books with CBCS. Several of my books are extremely rare high grade GA, which would make anyone antsy about handing 'em over to a new company. Also, some of them were already in CGC holders and didn't necessarily require a reholder, but the clarity of the CBCS design convinced me. So far, I've not been disappointed.

Sorry if I sounded a bit like an infomercial (I'm not Australian, ...honest).
Post 79 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadabig
A little back story.

I'm a long time Batman fan, but I dislike collecting the books as it takes a full time commitment and investment that a father of 3 cannot find. Comic collecting was not encouraged or in some senses allowed when I was growing up.

So I recently dove back in and my primary focus is Walking Dead as it is a great series and to obtain the full run is reasonably attainable. So one of my books that I am waiting on will be my first graded TWD book, and one that will be desirable..#108. I'm not flipping it. I had it since before the craze started and outside of my #19 (VF at best and not worth grading) it is the "coolest" book in my TWD collection so far if it comes back a 9.8.

Another is a Lady M variant with only 200 copies. A mostly white cover that I have in pristine condition. There won't be many 9.8s of that one I don't think.

So long story short, I don't like to complicate my collecting. It is starting to seem that grading is making it unpleasant. These may not be prized books to the common collector, but they to me. And I don't like having them in the hands of others if I can help it.

@nadabig I thank you for choosing CBCS to certify your comics, and I apologize for the delay in getting them back to you. We are currently running a little behind due to the start of convention season.

We are working on additional procedures and website automation on our end that will help keep the delays to a minimum. We are committed to staying on top of the turnarounds and will not let ourselves get behind as badly as we were this time last year. Everyone at CBCS worked hard to get the turnarounds caught up. Our employees are also comic collectors and we've all been in your shoes. We understand what it's like to wait months to get your books back, and we want to keep delays to a minimum.

In the meantime, I can assure you that your books are in very good hands. We have a huge vault that all books are stored in when they're not being directly worked on. They're in a box in our vault waiting to be graded.

We appreciate your patience and understanding, and just know that we will get your books shipped back to you as quickly as we can.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
A little back story.

I am going to assume, since you are a father of 3, that you have some years under your belt. Do you remember a time when anything and everything mailed took 4-6 weeks? Even a simple letter. How about a time when mostly everything was closed on Sunday's, even the malls. What about cell phones? I can clearly remember the frustration of driving around trying to find a payphone to call someone and then hoping I have the "exact" change. All that said, I am with you. I am guilty, even after experiencing all of that, of having to wait 5 minutes for my food in the drive thru and "loosing my ++++". In regards to comics, my first dealing was with CGC and at that time, they had a turnaround time of 25 days but their current estimate was about 6 months. I guess that was a good and bad first experience. The bad was waiting 6 months, but the good was any wait after that (even 30 days) seem rather short. I have tried to offset the feeling by sending in more books while waiting for the other to come in. I plan to try to keep doing this so that instead of waiting 2 months for something to come in, it will feel like I am getting a shipment every month. Try that. Start putting together your next shipment and get it out. Finale note- once you get it, I really hope you get the scores you are looking for but try not to have your expectations up to high. I kinda felt a little disappointment with a couple of slabs. Books I thought would score high scored lower and books I didn't even think would be a 9 came back as a 9.6. Trust them to do right and in the end, when it is in your hands, it looks awesome.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector path4play private msg quote post Address this user
I've reached my tipping point. I had 4 GA books come back with new holder, and safe to conclude 3 of 4 developed waviness within a week, the lowest graded book seems to have fanned the centerfold out. I've posted images on the other forum, no representative has bothered to contact me or post on the thread that I have noticed. Here is a novel idea - how about a follow-up email satisfaction survey after shipment? I also have asked that some recent submissions in pressing to not continue on to slabbing - 3 emails to the service email address over 5 days with no response yet. I know customer service died in the 80's but I'm about to go with a 3 mil mylar and magazine top loaders and be done with it.

Despite extra cost (even with discount) and shipping again I'm going to reslab here when I have some other books to send with. To be clear it wasn't the fact that I can't imagine who would have thought "pressuring" a GA book was a good idea - it's the fact that this company at least bothers to have some representatives post on the thread and mingle a bit with the small fish.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
A little back story.

I gotta tell ya, I really do feel for you. My very first ever submission of comics to be slabbed was a Captain America #100 and a Wolverine #1. These, unfortunately, were not copies from my childhood but were actually my 3rd or 4th copies of each. I collected as a kid, sold them when I got married and had kids, collected again after divorce, had them stolen, collected again, had them stolen again and I'm now building a bigger and better collection.

I researched slabbing companies for about 6 months deciding who to send my books to. With no lcs, I wasn't very happy with the options. I was about to send them to the third option (not CGC) when I heard of CBCS starting up. Steve B was just starting it up and all they were doing was cons at first before they went online. I googled Borock and liked what I saw. I waited and watched for them to start a website. I got in on the groundfloor of the CBCS Comic Collectors Club on facebook. I got to know Borock and talked to several other collectors and people at CBCS. I knew I could trust them.

Unfortunately, I mailed my first submission to them the day before they announced the plastics fiasco (circa August, 2014). I had to wait until January, 2015 to hold them in my hands. I was anxious and worried, but I'm very happy I chose them!! I'm not a big submitter, I believe I have 10-12 that I've gotten through CBCS - either under my account or an AW. But I'm VERY happy with them and I'm compiling another set to send in, this time I'll have a bit more money and it'll have more comics in it. I know the waiting is tough. I hope you see the value of it in the end product.

Peace.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
A little back story.

Well, if you're going to be this immature about it, you probably shouldn't send in books to be slabbed.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My apologies if my wanting paid services rendered in the time frame that was promised offends anyone.

I thought the fact that I didn't set the standard or post the expected turnaround, and that I contacted said service provider to confirm these times, that I was coming from a perspective of complete reasonability.

Offended? Heck no. Most anyone who has submitted books for grading has felt what you feel. We just know that TATs are an estimate, just like a 3:00pm doctor appointment.

The doctor can't always help when the patient has many questions, and if that happens a few times throughout that very day, odds are sitting in the lobby until 4:00 or later is very likely. Knowing this I'd never confront the doctor asking why I had to wait.

Sometimes it just happens that way. Not all things can run by the clock like TV shows, especially when variables are involved.
Post 85 IP   flag post
I would assume that TATs change every day. It's a fluid thing, not set in stone.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't like to complicate my collecting. It is starting to seem that grading is making it unpleasant. These may not be prized books to the common collector, but they to me. And I don't like having them in the hands of others if I can help it.

I feel the same way, and I have many prized ungraded books that I don't plan on selling, so I stopped submitting for grades. If the day comes when I have to sell, I'll grade some of them.

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but shipping them off feels like sending your child through a minefield to retrieve a copy of their birth certificate on the other side and return with it so you know it's them LOL.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by path4play
I've reached my tipping point. I had 4 GA books come back with new holder, and safe to conclude 3 of 4 developed waviness within a week, the lowest graded book seems to have fanned the centerfold out. I've posted images on the other forum, no representative has bothered to contact me or post on the thread that I have noticed. Here is a novel idea - how about a follow-up email satisfaction survey after shipment? I also have asked that some recent submissions in pressing to not continue on to slabbing - 3 emails to the service email address over 5 days with no response yet. I know customer service died in the 80's but I'm about to go with a 3 mil mylar and magazine top loaders and be done with it.

Despite extra cost (even with discount) and shipping again I'm going to reslab here when I have some other books to send with. To be clear it wasn't the fact that I can't imagine who would have thought "pressuring" a GA book was a good idea - it's the fact that this company at least bothers to have some representatives post on the thread and mingle a bit with the small fish.

When enough small fish are moving in the same direction it's called a school of fish. A lot of learning goes on in a school.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector greyghost private msg quote post Address this user
Steve Ricketts,

As asked previously - will you give the 20% discount to a raw book that is sent in with a copy of the (new) CGC label? I, too, am not comfortable with sending the book in it's reholder, and having it sit in your vault until it is ready for cracking, only to have a wave set in by that time.

Kinda need an unequivocal answer on this one. Like soon, please. And if it's really about the books, then you guys kinda have to say yes. You'll regrade according to your system anyway, so theoretically the most you're out is the discount if somebody shines you on, but there's a copy of the label, and I don't see anybody jumping through hoops to beat you out of what $10?

Thanks.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost
Steve Ricketts,

As asked previously - will you give the 20% discount to a raw book that is sent in with a copy of the (new) CGC label? I, too, am not comfortable with sending the book in it's reholder, and having it sit in your vault until it is ready for cracking, only to have a wave set in by that time.

Kinda need an unequivocal answer on this one. Like soon, please. And if it's really about the books, then you guys kinda have to say yes. You'll regrade according to your system anyway, so theoretically the most you're out is the discount if somebody shines you on, but there's a copy of the label, and I don't see anybody jumping through hoops to beat you out of what $10?

Thanks.

I called customer service last week and I was told that the 20% discount would apply as long as the new labels were with the books.
Post 90 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
How weird is that? A collector wanting to remove a book from a slab because in their opinion the safer option for shipping that book to Florida via USPS/FedEX/UPS is in a bag and board, and not the new CGC holder! That kind of sums it all up, doesn't it?
Post 91 IP   flag post
Unfortunately it does. And thanks for the info about the call to customer service. I'll call myself tomorrow, but I'm hoping a copy of the label will do. I want to keep the original for some reason., though logically it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Unfortunately it does. And thanks for the info about the call to customer service. I'll call myself tomorrow, but I'm hoping a copy of the label will do. I want to keep the original for some reason., though logically it doesn't make a lot of sense.

LOL
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
....and I don't see anybody jumping through hoops to beat you out of what $10?

Yeah, that'd be as crazy as somebody jumping through hoops to send in a photocopy of a label.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Yeh called customer service they said books have to be received in the cgc case and they would crack upon receipt and return labels with reholdered book
Post 95 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I was told that the discount applies if the books are brought in with the label, but I also mentioned that I was planning on utilizing CFP to press the books and that was apparently ok. So, I don't know.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector nadabig private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm confused. I'm looking at the 6 graded books I currently own. One is a CBCS so it doesn't really apply, so 5 CGC books

My latest is only a couple months old, looks perfect other than being placed slightly crooked in the slab.

One that I have had for quite a few months and bought graded looks like how many describe current issues with CGC. I see waviness and it appears not very well sandwiched in there.

My three others span a good time frame, two were purchased already graded and all have some degree of Newton rainbowy rings going on. One can't be over a year in, the other is definitely over a year and half. The third I had graded about a year and a half ago.

So why is it that it seems my older ones have the issues being complained about with the new CGC slab but my newest doesn't?
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I've talked to a dealer for cgc; his words "I picked up over 500 books a week ago with the new cases. The only issue that I have seen personally, is some of the books look like that have a small wave. I think this is due in part to CGC using 2 pieces of mylar that are not sealed and the cheap cover stock used on many modern books." So based on his experiences some have waves and some do not based on issues such as cover thickness.
I think people are upset case waves are unacceptable across the board and a new holder was expected to fix this issue. Out of the 24 i just got back from CBCS no waves. I sincerely hope your luck with the new case continues (mine too).
Post 98 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Yeh called customer service they said books have to be received in the cgc case and they would crack upon receipt and return labels with reholdered book

This actually makes more sense.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector EternityComix private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
I've talked to a dealer for cgc; his words "I picked up over 500 books a week ago with the new cases. The only issue that I have seen personally, is some of the books look like that have a small wave. I think this is due in part to CGC using 2 pieces of mylar that are not sealed and the cheap cover stock used on many modern books." So based on his experiences some have waves and some do not based on issues such as cover thickness.
I think people are upset case waves are unacceptable across the board and a new holder was expected to fix this issue. Out of the 24 i just got back from CBCS no waves. I sincerely hope your luck with the new case continues (mine too).

As someone who works in web printing for the last 18 years, Modern comics do not use cheap cover stock for their comics. That explains the $3.99/4.99 cover prices. It's a commercial printing business, very high quality.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector EternityComix private msg quote post Address this user
CGC isn't a company that puts the consumer first. They put their wallet first. Like Steve's CEO said in his post, CGC can afford to stop grading books until they can fix whatever issues they are having with their holders, but would rather keep going, let the money keep coming in while they fix it, and then play catch up later to anyone who wants a new holder after the issues have been resolved.

CGC charging for grader notes, $5 extra invoice fee, over charging for shipping, charging a membership fee just to have the privilege to send books in directly ect...They are nickel and diming the consumer which is how you can tell they don't put the consumer first.

My only complaint about CBCS is simply due to the fact that I don't like the powder blue labels, but I do trust the grading. CGC does have more of a foothold in the grading marketplace than CBCS does, and more people are familiar with CGC than they are with CBCS and thus CGC books bring in more money than CBCS graded books do, however, I'm sure that will change in the future.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
How weird is that? A collector wanting to remove a book from a slab because in their opinion the safer option for shipping that book to Florida via USPS/FedEX/UPS is in a bag and board, and not the new CGC holder! That kind of sums it all up, doesn't it?

Exactly...
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternityComix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K

As someone who works in web printing for the last 18 years, Modern comics do not use cheap cover stock for their comics. That explains the $3.99/4.99 cover prices. It's a commercial printing business, very high quality.

You must have missed it, but Marvel changed a bunch of their titles to cheap crappy cover stock. The cover paper is the same as the interior paper, and it is readily apparent when you open the comic. Very low quality.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector techtre2003 private msg quote post Address this user
It will be interesting to see the CBCS reholders of the CGC wavy books when they start coming in. Some before and after pics may have even more people making the move here depending on the results!
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Indeed - those cursing the loose grading and sloppy standards at CBCS are about to get a big, juicy sample of re-graded books to prove or disprove their theory. I suspect most books, though, will grade about the same (but with more PQ upgrades than downgrades).
Post 105 IP   flag post
600892 150 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.