Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

NEW CGC HOLDER TO CBCS 20% OFF til July 1st429

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I highly recommend those of you who have books slabbed in the new CGC holder (especially Golden Age/Silver Age books - pressed or not (especially pressed)) to take advantage of this offer, for the sake of the book and your piece of mind.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1
Smart move Steve. CGC has not publicly done anything to address this beyond a few posts on the forum. The conversations on Facebook, and outside of their forum has been happening.

I don't get their lack of PR in this issue and with some of the evidence I just saw yesterday with a cracked out book having the same waves as they did inside the case...that's scares the piss out of me for my books. I have a new CGC Iron Man 54 9.4 and it's quite wavy. Ugh!

Just be careful about the level of publicly bashing them as opposed to stating the clear facts...i'd hate to see any legal issues arise. Just my .02 cents bro.

I have never bashed CGC. As I mentioned in my original post, it was a post I did not want to make as I really thought they would stop putting books in the new holder, but they have not. When we 1st started CGC, we were going to open in November of 1999. We could not get the holder correct, so we returned all the books submitted and waited until Jan 2000 to grade books once we got the holder correct. I knew that was the best move at the time for CGC and the hobby.

Thanks Steve. I didn't meant to imply you were bashing them. I just don't think they will see it the same way.

I suggested about a week ago on here and on the CGC forum that had CBCS as an example of shutting the process down to get it right when your plastics issue came up. I also said CGC needs to do this now. Keep grading books but stop the encapsulation process until they can get this sorted out. They haven't and now they have this mess.

What I've seen the past couple of days completely contradicts a conversation I had with Matt Nelson the other day.

I think Matt is also a nice guy who is trying hard. But the cases posted recently are horrific as a comic collector.

I've said it all along that I like both companies and don't want to make some choice of one over the other. But now I am in the same boat as others that I have to choose CBCS solely until CGC really announces this publicly and does something about it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Smart move Steve. CGC has not publicly done anything to address this beyond a few posts on the forum. The conversations on Facebook, and outside of their forum has been happening.

I don't get their lack of PR in this issue and with some of the evidence I just saw yesterday with a cracked out book having the same waves as they did inside the case...that's scares the piss out of me for my books. I have a new CGC Iron Man 54 9.4 and it's quite wavy. Ugh!

Just be careful about the level of publicly bashing them as opposed to stating the clear facts...i'd hate to see any legal issues arise. Just my .02 cents bro.

I have never bashed CGC. As I mentioned in my original post, it was a post I did not want to make as I really thought they would stop putting books in the new holder, but they have not. When we 1st started CGC, we were going to open in November of 1999. We could not get the holder correct, so we returned all the books submitted and waited until Jan 2000 to grade books once we got the holder correct. I knew that was the best move at the time for CGC and the hobby.

When you were trying the holder, how many books did you slab to see that the holder was not sufficient? Was it a small or large number? I wonder how many they tried with their new slab or do you think they tried just a few and then released the holder? On their website, I think the announcement for new holder was up for at least a month. That should have been sufficient time to have done quite a few books. Then the question is, did they knowingly release it with knowledge of the issues? I haven't been reasherching this issue and the only info I have is both on the CBCS forum and the CGC form. What percentage would you believe is affected by this new slab?
Post 28 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Steve. I didn't meant to imply you were bashing them. I just don't think they will see it the same way.

I suggested about a week ago on here and on the CGC forum that had CBCS as an example of shutting the process down to get it right when your plastics issue came up. I also said CGC needs to do this now. Keep grading books but stop the encapsulation process until they can get this sorted out. They haven't and now they have this mess.

What I've seen the past couple of days completely contradicts a conversation I had with Matt Nelson the other day.

I think Matt is also a nice guy who is trying hard. But the cases posted recently are horrific as a comic collector.

I've said it all along that I like both companies and don't want to make some choice of one over the other. But now I am in the same boat as others that I have to choose CBCS solely until CGC really announces this publicly and does something about it.

I really like Matt as well, we have been friends for many years.

People will see things the way they want to see them, I can't help that.....
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarzola
What percentage would you believe is affected by this new slab?

100% of the comics placed into the new CGC holder are affected.
Perhaps not all of them have sustained damage, but they are all affected.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When you were trying the holder, how many books did you slab to see that the holder was not sufficient? Was it a small or large number? I wonder how many they tried with their new slab or do you think they tried just a few and then released the holder? On their website, I think the announcement for new holder was up for at least a month. That should have been sufficient time to have done quite a few books. Then the question is, did they knowingly release it with knowledge of the issues? I haven't been researching this issue and the only info I have is both on the CBCS forum and the CGC form. What percentage would you believe is affected by this new slab?

I can't say what CGC did or did not do. I do not work there or have any knowledge of their inner workings. I am going on what I have seen posted by others and, as I already mentioned, the many phone calls we received, the talks I have had with collectors & dealers, and the few we have seen in person. I will say that when I 1st heard some complaints about the new CGC holder, I told those people that it was probably nothing but a mistake as I was sure CGC did a huge amount of testing before releasing the new holder. Now I am not sure because it is too much like the "Fortress".
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really like Matt as well, we have been friends for many years.

People will see things the way they want to see them, I can't help that.....

What does this mean? We're supposed to forget the underhanded stuff Matt did before joining CCS?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
Popcorn
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilverjanet
Popcorn

It just doesn't taste the same, does it?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilverjanet
Popcorn

It just doesn't taste the same, does it?

Nope, but soon it will
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector crossedfan private msg quote post Address this user
What did Matt do exactly??
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:
What percentage would you believe is affected by this new slab?

100% of the comics placed into the new CGC holder are affected.
Perhaps not all of them have sustained damage, but they are all affected.

With all due respect, I see no basis for that statement.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Just want to confirm that the books are going to be cracked out and regraded correct? This isn't a reholder type of submission, they will go through the same process as other raw books are submitted to CBCS.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Thorrodin private msg quote post Address this user
A submitter is most likely going to expect CBCS to assign the same grade as the CGC grade. Especially if CBCS is assuming the risk in cracking books out of the new CGC slabs.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The 20% discount makes it somewhat reasonable. Would the discount still apply if the slabs were cracked by a presser, then the books forwarded with the labels from the new slabs?
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorrodin
A submitter is most likely going to expect CBCS to assign the same grade as the CGC grade. Especially if CBCS is assuming the risk in cracking books out of the new CGC slabs.

What risk do you think is involved in cracking a slab open?

That is besides the point, wether the book is slabbed or not, CBCS will be grading the book.

No company will reholder a book that another company graded.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorrodin

I think people may get the wrong idea and they should make that clear. I think once people get a different grade both companies will feel the burn of the customer
Post 42 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
From Steve Borock's statement on page 1:

"CBCS is offering to re-grade any comic in the new CGC holder for 20% less than we would normally charge."

* Bold is my emphasis
Post 43 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
From Steve Borock's statement on page 1:

"CBCS is offering to re-grade any comic in the new CGC holder for 20% less than we would normally charge."

Reading is for chumps.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector TheMaxx private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I highly recommend those of you who have books slabbed in the new CGC holder (especially Golden Age/Silver Age books - pressed or not (especially pressed)) to take advantage of this offer, for the sake of the book and your piece of mind.
why especially pressed?
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
My guess is that pressing is a process done to remove some minor issues with a book which may be undermined by the possible damage that the new CGC cases can introduce
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector TheComicDoJo private msg quote post Address this user
Is this a transfer of grade into the CBCS case or are they going to re-grade the book?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Look 4 posts up.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@TheComicDoJo See 4 posts above yours
Post 49 IP   flag post
haha! Thanks @The_Watcher Man, hoping the CGC slab hasn't caused a down grade at all grrr. Still... better to go down from a 9.8 to a 9.6 and have it better protected than to leave it in that new CGC case for years only to have it go down to like an 8 or less!

Thanks, see you CBCS folks on Friday at Awesome Con!!! Bringing a few books!!!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Happylemon private msg quote post Address this user
Why can't people see the regrade part of the statement? Is this one of them new optical illusions?
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector nadabig private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. By all means. Offer a discount to draw more business in while you are running behind on promised turnarounds.

On top of that, offer nothing to folks that submitted books at a time when every tier was reportedly on time, and then change that to a 5-7 business day delay while taking no action for your current customers.

Yes, I am one of said customers.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@happylemon this was one of my first posts in the forum. Still getting used to it, it was already long so I just wanted to ask. No optical illusion
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector TheMaxx private msg quote post Address this user
I have 2 that just came today. The problem has not been solved. I want to resubmit these to CBCS. I'm afraid of any further damage due to the case, can I remove them and send just the label with the books in order to get the 20%
Post 54 IP   flag post

Here's my book I'll be bringing to Awesome Con tomorrow to take advantage of this deal but to also protect my favorite comic book in my collection.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598065 150 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.