Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics I mean there were a few tangents on the thread but it is mainly focused on print runs in general. I'd love to hear some knowledge or if you'd like to start your own thread that's fine too!!!! Also, when is the book due?? Sounds like a good read. . .
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

I see a fantastic four #1, tales to astonish 39 and captain marvel 28. What do others see?

Me thinks a Star Wars #1 and A Journey Into Mystery can't tell what issue though!
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
Quote:
Quote:

I see a fantastic four #1, tales to astonish 39 and captain marvel 28. What do others see?

Me thinks a Star Wars #1 and A Journey Into Mystery can't tell what issue though!

Bottom right is amazing spiderman #5. Looked to be dr. Doom on the cover and googled it...
Post 79 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hulk #2
FF #4
ASM #2
ASM #5
Post 80 IP   flag post

CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hulk #2
FF #4
ASM #2
ASM #5

Two copies of FF #10
FF #28
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
JIM 96.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Fantastic Four Annual #1
FF #3
Post 83 IP   flag post
Conan #1
X-men #2
Batman #12
Post 84 IP   flag post
Dell Four Uncle Scrooge top right??
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
My book Comic Book Store Wars will be finished soon.
In there I cover a concept no one here seems to have mentioned:

Affidavit Return Fraud.

I covered this in depth 25,000 words in Comic Book Artist #6 (1999) and #7 (early 2000) edited by Jon B Cooke published by TwoMorrow in an article series titled Secret Origins of the Direct Market.

Back in the 60s 70s the Returns on comic books went to an "honor" system from cover stripping especially coming out of the late 60s Batman TV show glut which caused a huge backlash about carrying 12 cent comic books of any sort.

By 1969 cover prices in USA went to 15 cents.

Soon thereafter cover prices went to 20 cents in attempts to entice distributors and periodical retailers to carry comic books again

We opened the first Comics and Comix outlet at 2512 Telegraph Ave near UC-Berkeley in late August 1972 just ten days after the first El Cortez Hotel San Diego comicon. Swamp Thing #1 debuted that week. Kirby New Gods, Forever People, etc were still coming out. Barry Smith Conan was all the rage.

If enough lost souls here seek to understand "affidavit return fraud" I will endeavor to explain same here

Hi Bob. If I'm not mistaken, the affidavit system didn't exist in 1988, or existed in a vastly different form than what existed under the affidavit fraud situation of the late 60's/early 70's.

The topic is, of course, ASM #300, which came out in early 1988, long after you were a new comic book retailer...correct? So, I don't think anyone WOULD have mentioned the affidavit return fraud situation, as it doesn't seem at all relevant to books from 1988.

But by all means, feel free to share your experiences on the matter as it relates to the distribution system of the late 60's/early 70's.

Really DocBrn? You of all people, the king of thread derailing with "fact" checking and condecendence, the thread-killer, are going to get on an old guy for being slightly off-topic? The man clearly offered to create a new thread as well. Dont be a duck.

Yes, really, SB. The issue has nothing to do with being off-topic, and I think the word you're looking for is "condescension", which some of you might see a lot less of if you weren't so keen on finding it so very often.

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with "derailing" a thread, and strict adherence to any single topic isn't how humanity operates. Try that at a dinner party, and see how far one gets. The issue here is that the affidavit return fraud of the late 60's/early 70's had nothing to do with the issue of ASM #300 distribution and sales in 1988, which connection Bob was intimating. That's not "slightly" off-topic...the two are unrelated. Not sure what being an "old guy" has to do with anything. I treat people based on the content of their posts, not their appearance.

Oh, and if you find a fact...or "fact"...that isn't correct that I've said, there's nothing at all stopping you or anyone from correcting those facts. Isn't knowledge and understanding for all the goal...? It is for me. Only the proud take offense at correction.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I think the Star Wars issue is #2.
Post 87 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Four color #386 at his left elbow as well. That's Uncle Scrooge #1 to those that dont know. CBCS has mine right now 😁

Coincidentally, @CFP_Comics pressed it for me last November
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Four color #386 at his left elbow as well. That's Uncle Scrooge #1 to those that dont know. CBCS has mine right now 😁

Nice shrewbeer! Show us the results when you get it back. Hard book to find in higher grades. What are you hoping to slab at??
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
I think the Star Wars issue is #2.

Methinks you are correct.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I think I "unpressed" that book.
Post 91 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine I really dont know, its a tricky one. The front cover is just about flawless aside from a blunted corner. The staples are just a tiny bit "sunken" looking (someone inexperienced pressed the loving hell out of it)

The back cover though.. it has 4-5 very small foxing spots, and the purpose of pressing was... back in the day comics were delivered in bundles that were tied with string (and even farther back, metal cable/wire). This particular book was on the bottom of one of those bundles; thus it had four extremely deep impressions in a cross! Joe (@cfp) made them *almost disappear. TBH after I thought about it, I'm actually glad that there are some very faint lines left; as it tells a story about older funny book deliveries.

It could grade anywhere between 5.5-8.0 methinks. Yes thats a huge range lol; this particular book with its unique flaws I have no idea how to grade 😁
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
@NilesPaine I really dont know, its a tricky one. The front cover is just about flawless aside from a blunted corner. The staples are just a tiny bit "sunken" looking (someone inexperienced pressed the loving hell out of it)

The back cover though.. it has 4-5 very small foxing spots, and the purpose of pressing was... back in the day comics were delivered in bundles that were tied with string (and even farther back, metal cable/wire). This particular book was on the bottom of one of those bundles; thus it had four extremely deep impressions in a cross! Joe (@cfp) made them *almost disappear. TBH after I thought about it, I'm actually glad that there are some very faint lines left; as it tells a story about older funny book deliveries.

@CFP_Comics LOL how in the??

Ye, you know that's an interesting notion and would probably make for a good thread. "A Comic's Story." You wonder some of these books where they've been how they got there, how people acquired them, what happened to them. I can appreciate that. Anywho, looking forward to the results. Such an awesome cover too.

And not coming full circle but back around. I wonder what the print run on THAT was??? Late 50's I think??
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bottom right is amazing spiderman #5. Looked to be dr. Doom on the cover and googled it...

Doc Savage Pulp from September 1938

Post 94 IP   flag post
Good work, people! Just a few more and we can close this out. Bonus to whomever can identify the t-shirt graphic!

I'm not sure about item (C)...is it a comic?

BTW - Identified JIM #84, Human Torch #22 and The Haunt of Fear #17.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Cool.
Post 96 IP   flag post
The crazy thing to me is those Doc Savages are affordable on the bay. Thats almost an 80 year old book!?!
Post 97 IP   flag post
Human Torch #30

Post 98 IP   flag post
One of the comics has the word "Battle" in it.
Another one is "Robin Hood" (I think), maybe someone can recognize the cover.

Post 99 IP   flag post
Captain America #65

Post 100 IP   flag post
Robin Hood Tales #5

Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Captain America #65

Although not quite the "slap" batman gave robin in worlds finest 153, that CA cover would make a good meme.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Come on folks. Only a few more books to identify. Maybe this is really a group of modern only collectors (nudge).
Post 103 IP   flag post
For the life of me I can't find that one next to Doc Savage?? Is it a Battle Action?? I just spent a cup of coffee looking through ComicBookRealm!
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
You comics sleuths sussing out what was on the wall of my Berkeley store 1977 have side-tracked me a bit going thru your guesses of what was for sale on the wall that week. Here is a 1987 pic in my Haight Ashbury store front to make merry with.

That said,"affidavit return fraud" increases beginning late 60s thru 1973 is what led to Phil Seuling being able to add in Code comics out of Sparta in to the already existing Direct Market.

I have been buried busy this week end working on my eBay and Amazon internet comics stores hence less time to devote to research concepts.

I did not mean or want this AmSpi 300 thread derailed per se.

My thoughts expressed earlier were not dwelling on 1988 #300 as distribution concepts every five years or so are different than any other given half decade time span.

A near complete picture of "affidavit return fraud" is laid out inside 25,000 words inside Comic Book Artist #6 #7 (1999/2000) which I feel bold enough to say Neal Adams told me the research presented there restored his self esteem regarding working in comics again.

Hopefully I will get a stand alone thread on Affidavit Returns Fraud going in this forum next day or so. It is not an easy tale to tell as there was a lot of varied energy going on then

Post 105 IP   flag post
601347 109 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?