Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Has ANYBODY seen?!?!? The illusive comic4191

Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
I think this would be a fun little thing for the forums. Post a comic and maybe a photo that you have only heard tell about and never actually seen or maybe have seen but didn't have the $$$ to acquire. If you own said book feel free to show it off in all it's glory. I'm talking 500 Print and under. All comic ages welcome but I'm talking more obscure books and variants.

So into it. Venom is one of my guys. There is a mysterious Venom 12 Variant that supposedly MAYBE had a 400+ print run tops. I have not seen in the wild or on eBay for the past year this guy right here. . .

I just want proof a copy exists lol
Looking forward to seeing the mysterious and obscure!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
That is wild.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
That is wild.

I hope this thread takes off because I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other mysterious books out there.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comicsheatingup private msg quote post Address this user
Mike Del Mundo 1:50 Variant for Venom #12 (2012).
Post 4 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Always on the lookout for STUNTMAN #3.

Marty Mann
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
This variant of Back to the Future #1 is so elusive, before I acquired my copy, I questioned its actual existence. After acquiring my copy...I still question it's existence. lol

Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
This variant of Back to the Future #1 is so elusive, before I acquired my copy, I questioned its actual existence. After acquiring my copy...I still question it's existence. lol

LOL is this the real life or is this just fantasy?? That is an AWESOME cover. Is the actual book in there!? Wonder how many actually exist?? Someone probably picked this up and thought it was a literal Almanac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsheatingup
Mike Del Mundo 1:50 Variant for Venom #12 (2012).

The thing DOESN'T EXIST lol I have scoured the bins and boxes and internets and NOTHING. I haven't even seen a picture of the physical book just retailer scans!
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine Yes, the BttF is real and does have the comic between the covers, it is the Zbox exclusive variant (Zbox is a defunct service similar to Loot Crate, which was more popular in the UK), this particular variant not only was exclusive to Zbox, but required the redeeming of a special offer code in order to order it. Zbox also went under shortly after this was released. It's really hard to say how many exist, but in the past year I've only seen 4 copies surface for public sale (one of which is owned by me, and another by Kaptainmyke, one was snatched up before I even knew it hit ebay, the fourth one was in Italy and the price being asked was too high for me.), and they tend to always come out of the UK or other places in Europe. Searching for this sucker is also made even more frustrating by the fact that ebay is filled with people who sell replicas of the movie prop, which is almost identical to this comic from just front cover pictures to an untrained eye.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DarthLego
Right and eBay sellers have a naughty habit, myself included sometimes, of only showing front and back covers. Sounds pretty freakin rare. That's a whole horse of a different color there!! I understand exclusivity and warranting somewhat of a price raise. But I'll bet IF (because its not real) I found my Venom 12 the asking price would be no less than a grand and I'm being generous. And forget it if it's graded, which odds are it would be. The way some of these books and variants are inflated ASTOUNDS me! I'd be curious what you paid for that little piece of obscurity there though . . . *ponders*
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

It took me 2 years to get a copy of this book during which I found maybe 3 or 4 copies for sale. Most were priced way too high for me but a few weeks ago, I finally got one at a great price at auction. From what little I know, it was limited to 500 copies.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I just posted my own thread, but might as well get on this one too. I just bought this baby; Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blue. 1 of 100 printed and rarely offered for sale.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
This one was my white whale for awhile. I generally dislike the concept of variant covers (especially when there's more than one variant), but loving both Sandman and Mignola, I had to have it.

I know it's a retailer incentive but aside from that I've found little info on an actual quantity that exist. This is the only copy I've seen in the wild.

Sandman: The Dream Hunters #2 (Mike Mignola variant cover)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Zbox also went under shortly after this was released. It's really hard to say how many exist, but in the past year I've only seen 4 copies surface for public sale (one of which is owned by me,

ZBox did have release a Mighty Captain Marvel #1 variant, which I did pick up. I thought BTTF was released before that. Hmmm..
Post 13 IP   flag post

I've seen this book for sale maybe 4 times in the past 10 years.

I bought 2 of them, 1 I didn't see until after the listing had ended, and 1 the buyer kept ending and relisting at ever higher prices prices until he just stopped. There are only 18 copies in the CGC census.

I'd like to get them in CGC red labels but due to all the signatures, I'm looking at about $100 each in grading fees, so I've kept putting it off.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

It took me 2 years to get a copy of this book during which I found maybe 3 or 4 copies for sale. Most were priced way too high for me but a few weeks ago, I finally got one at a great price at auction. From what little I know, it was limited to 500 copies.

Hot cover, literally, pun intended. And as for the other ones $200 is pretty steep for a reholder. What is the difference between the labels by curiosity??
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I just posted my own thread, but might as well get on this one too. I just bought this baby; Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blue. 1 of 100 printed and rarely offered for sale.

Good lord look at that thing?!? Plans for slab??
Post 16 IP   flag post
@NilesPaine The CGC green, or Qualified, label acknowledges that the book has a flaw of some sort and grades the book as if that flaw were not present. In this case, the book has unwitnessed signatures, which are treated as flaws, "writing on cover."

A CBCS red label has a third party, CSA Comics, review the signatures and either verify them as authentic or not. So the label lists the signatures instead of lumping them together with flaws like a kid scribbling on the cover with a crayon

Basically, it's getting someone to back up your claim that the books are signed by who you say they're signed by so-and-so
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine, you could search the cgc census for your elusive issue, I would think. If it's graded, it should be there.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@jrs I see 14 graded copies
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
Quote:

Good lord look at that thing?!? Plans for slab??

Oh yes! It's going off for a 2-Day modern asap!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@NilesPaine, you could search the cgc census for your elusive issue, I would think. If it's graded, it should be there.

Thanks for the heads up. 14 Slabs. Thats it!!! 9.4 or higher. Heck at this point I'd settle for even the "lower" grade if it was a fair price. NM is still NM. The trend of having to have only 9.8s and the mark ups irk me a little.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Only graded variant copy...after 3 attempts still unable to get
Overstreet to acknowledge it's existence.

mm
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

What does the standard cover look like?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

What does the standard cover look like?

mm
Post 24 IP   flag post
Clear difference. And there's only 7 graded total and if CGC graded the other 6 Original print you almost would think Overstreet would HAVE to acknowledge it. Also, that is a RARE book indeed. Funny to think even then there were a few variants!!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Wowzer i have this version and the red versiin
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Quote:

Are you sure your don't have the aquamarine/green 2nd printing? If you have a true Royal Blue version I'd definitely take it off your hands. You can never have too many comics.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure your don't have the aquamarine/green 2nd printing? If you have a true Royal Blue version I'd definitely take it off your hands. You can never have too many comics.

Hmm i gotta dig it out. I believe it was dark bluish to purplish looking in color.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm i gotta dig it out. I believe it was dark bluish to purplish looking in color.

:rooting for another longbox legend moment:
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:rooting for another longbox legend moment:

You're telling me... I even posted a WTB thread for this book some months ago on here. @rckstr1253 may have had it all this time, lol.
Post 30 IP   flag post
616231 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?