Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

ebay buyer accuses me of switching labels!4188

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Well, claims about the sky falling have begun. Let's not blow this out of proportion. I don't foresee any crushing occurring.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Kaptainmyke put his trust in faith in CBCS and stated he WIL NEVER buy another CBCS book! And this is from a CBCS supporter! And I don't blame him one bit!

I would like to continue to be a strong advocate for CBCS, But Im not willing to use the service or buy CBCS books until the security issue is resolved.

Your ABSOLUTELY insane if you don't think CGC and its crowd are not going to be on this like a feeding frenzy to De-legitimize CBCS into extinction. Hell even the PGX crowd will be able to make a case in their favor.

You guys can make light about the security of Authenticated books all you want, but the bottom line is, It's absolutely the ONLY thing that matters.

THE ONLY reason to even use an authentication service is to be able to sell the book for the premium value that its authentication brings.

Once the security of that Authentication is called into question and or jeopardized(weather it perceived or not) the valued attached to that Authentication is GONE, and the company issuing the said Authentication has NO respectability or trust among the collecting community. Just ask Kaptainmyke.

And for those who say there's any other more important factor than MONEY, in having a book slabbed in the first place...... I say HOGWASH! Its THE ONLY REASON!

Do you want your Amazing Fantasy #15 in a slab with very real security issue's like were seeing here when it comes time to sell it?

How bout your Golden or Silver Age Keys? There is absolutely NO other reason to have them slabbed and Authenticated other than Premium Value and the sell ability that comes from the buyer confidence and security in that Authentication. Its that simple. If this was not the case everyone would just send all their books to PGX, which in light of this Security issue might be a better option than CBCS if they DO NOT act fast and decisively in implementing a state of the art Tamper proof product that will restore User and Buyer confidence. It actually may be to late for them to recovery at this point.

I hope Im wrong.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
man forget that guy, i just shared this thread with him. You guys know I got zero chill, brah

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke as mentioned before - your buyer already made his decision on the book - regardless what you do. You have the opportonity to fight and let ebay decide (in which case you should call eBay and highlight the language he used, his negative feedback threat and proof that you got the 9.8 graded and the condition of the slab when you mailed it, and maybe - you have a tiny tiny chance of winning or take matters in your own hand and approve the return request and find a better buyer.

Above all - all sellers on this forum should block this buyer dude. Too much drama.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yep.
Post 79 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke well that for sure will make it entertaining but as mentioned not sure the smartest move!
Post 80 IP   flag post

nothing in this situation has been the smartest move.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944, yes, I'm serious. Not for nothing, but people also send their books to cbcs to be graded. So far, I have not seen a single instance where someone switched a book. If anyone else has, speak up.
Post 82 IP   flag post
@jrs I made that point in the old thread - noone came forward then - noone will come forward now. That said - still hoping cbcs is spending the time figuring out how to deal with a potential perception issue.
Post 83 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
nothing in this situation has been the smartest move.

As the old saying goes, the advancement of technology will always be the downfall of human intelligence. And that we would, one day, be surrounded by a generation of idiots.

But if it helps, you have become the smartest Mr. Meeseeks I have ever met.
Post 84 IP   flag post
And let's not forget cbcs makes grader notes available for free, which undoubtedly facilitates sales better than the alternative (no notes). If a book does not match up to the notes, it's a clear tell. For moderns, which is what this thread involves, I would think the risk of a switch is especially low.
Post 85 IP   flag post
@poka, agreed.
Post 86 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Well if he comes here we can point out to him that what he's claiming is scratches and damage is not scratches and damage, but the part of the plastic where the molds are separated from each other and every single CBCS slab on Earth has that. And he can also learn the fact that CBCS slabs are not sealed down the sides and will flex open if you pull on them, and this also is not damage but how the case is designed. If this dude plans to spend high dollars on key comics he needs to actually learn what the slabs are supposed to look like. Sounds to me like he is an inexperienced noob who didn't research the hobby before jumping in, and then had no clue that what he was looking at was perfectly normal.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector Midnightowl private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I agree completely.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@kaptainmyke well that for sure will make it entertaining but as mentioned not sure the smartest move!

And it will surely help spread the issue with CBCS slabs to the masses
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Well if he comes here we can point out to him that what he's claiming is scratches and damage is not scratches and damage, but the part of the plastic where the molds are separated from each other and every single CBCS slab on Earth has that. And he can also learn the fact that CBCS slabs are not sealed down the sides and will flex open if you pull on them, and this also is not damage but how the case is designed. If this dude plans to spend high dollars on key comics he needs to actually learn what the slabs are supposed to look like. Sounds to me like he is an inexperienced noob who didn't research the hobby before jumping in, and then had no clue that what he was looking at was perfectly normal.

Exactamundo.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:

Exactamundo.

I have an excellent photo example of the molding marks posted in the pinned FAQ thread.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Thanks @Jesse_O I did send him the link to the faq and the photo from the faq.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
And let's not forget cbcs makes grader notes available for free, which undoubtedly facilitates sales better than the alternative (no notes). If a book does not match up to the notes, it's a clear tell. For moderns, which is what this thread involves, I would think the risk of a switch is especially low.

That's true too he needs to look up the grader's notes for 17-249890A-004
Post 93 IP   flag post
17-249890A-004

Rick and Morty #1
Oni Press4 2015
Variant:
Pedigree:

Certified
White

Signees:

Notes:
light spine wear & stress some breaks color
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@BigRedOne1944, yes, I'm serious. Not for nothing, but people also send their books to cbcs to be graded. So far, I have not seen a single instance where someone switched a book. If anyone else has, speak up.

Don't you see jrs,, It doesn't Even matter if a book has ever been switched. In the world of authentication all it takes is the PRECEPTION that it can be done. This kind of issue is all it takes to be black balled by the collecting community.

If buyers and sellers lose confidence in your product and services, Even just the perception is enough to sink a young company trying to climb the mountain against the established corporate industry giant.

This is exactly what happened to PGX with their "Scandal". They were never able to recover from the collecting community perception.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
If you actively accept the return you keep a certain amount of control over the process and hopefully get the book back, then you have time to examine the book and issue a refund. If you go into stubborn mode and allow this to escalate then ebay will auto refund and you have a bigger chance of getting screwed on the return.

So your saying I don't have to issue the refund until after I get the book back in hand first?

Record yourself opening the returned box, in the presence of a USPS branch manager or shift supervisor.

State your name, the supetvisors' name and that you are opening up the returned eBay item # and bring color photo copies of the pictures directly from your auction listing.

Than, if the book has been swapped out, get the USPS employee to look at the auction photos and than the fenagled case to confirm that the book is not the same book you sent to the buyer.
Post 96 IP   flag post
That is a lot of hassle to do assuming i accept the return - but I did consider videorecording me opening the box but I didn't think to do it at the post office. i can go to the local annex branch (less people)
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

The Grader notes are pointless and just a vague generalization. unless it was a 9.8 switch for an obviously lower grade book ain't nobody gonna tell the difference of the book inside the slab.

And why should the have to? They paid the fee for services and security to ensure against just such a thing.

In todays modern world there is absolutely no excuse for not having a Tamper evident product.
Post 98 IP   flag post
These are the photos I took of the book prior to listing on ebay:

Post 99 IP   flag post

you can actually see a crack and a scratch, and edgewear on the corner of the book in that photo
Post 100 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944, yes, I get it. But the pgx situation is entirely different. And I've said this many times: nothing is truly foolproof, which is why you have million-dollar works of art forged.

With that said, the R&M book here is not even close to presenting the risk of a switch from what I can tell based on this thread and now the notes. And the buyer has not described a single anomaly that reflects s switch, mind you.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

The Grader notes are pointless and just a vague generalization. unless it was a 9.8 switch for an obviously lower grade book ain't nobody gonna tell the difference of the book inside the slab.

And why should the have to? They paid the fee for services and security to ensure against just such a thing.

In todays modern world there is absolutely no excuse for not having a Tamper evident product.

Right. So you couldn't switch out a 9.8 for a far lower book. The notes are not pointless if they tell you what flaws the 9.8 has. I don't get your point here.
Post 102 IP   flag post
well he said he dropped the book off at a LCS and he put the idea in his head i switched books because the sides are all scuffed up and mangled. I think too he tried to stretch open the sides, which you can do anyways, and he thinks I switched books or something. Initially he said labels then it changed to the book itself, and now he is focusing on the damage on the sides of the case and scratches in the plastic mold. Remember that I made similar claims on 90% of my slabs last year. I think this guy should just get a reholder but I never even discussed that with him.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Don't you see jrs,, It doesn't Even matter if a book has ever been switched. In the world of authentication all it takes is the PRECEPTION that it can be done. This kind of issue is all it takes to be black balled by the collecting community.

If buyers and sellers lose confidence in your product and services, Even just the perception is enough to sink a young company trying to climb the mountain against the established corporate industry giant.

This is exactly what happened to PGX with their "Scandal". They were never able to recover from the collecting community perception.

100% wrong, WRT the bolded part.

PGX pulled numerous scams, search the CGC Forums for threads on specifics.

CBCS has an impeccable reputation. Look at their grading staff.

West Stephan, Steve Borock, and so on.

Look at their resumes.

Your comparison of CBCS to PGX makes no sense, whatsoever. In no way, shape or form are CBCS and PGX comparable.
Post 104 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
is he allowed to already threaten me with negative feedback? what sucks is of course i already left him feedback "Thank you" positive. However, I did so after I saw the item was "delivered" and several days passed. I'm like wth?

Before doing anything else, add the buyer to your blocked list so he can not do this to you ever again.

If he threatens you with negative feedback that is against the rules. At the very least if you contact Ebay with proof of the threat (or win a case against the buyer) he will not be able to leave you feedback at all.

As others have suggested you should call Ebay and review the facts of the case (third party books, buyer comments, etc.) and let them tell you what you should do). Do not accept any returns without calling Ebay first.

Since I have not yet sold anything other than slabbed books in my Ebay store the only problems I have had were with cases cracked in transit when the post office was rough with my package. USPS priority mail automatically includes up to $50 of free insurance (up to $100 if you are a top rated seller). Every single time this happened the buyer was happy to take a $50 partial refund for their trouble (to re-slab the book themselves). In some cases I needed to spend time educating them about how to re-slab the books but that is about it.

If you are pro-active, respond to all of the buyers messages with at least the appearance of trying to be helpful, and stay in contact with Ebay there is no reason you should have to accept a return on your book. If the case is damaged (unless the buyer proves that he did it) tell the buyer to keep everyting including the packaging and tell Ebay that it must have been damaged in transit by the carrier (and file a claim with them).

I have never returned a slabbed book and do not see why you should have to either.
Post 105 IP   flag post
597875 382 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.