Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

ebay buyer accuses me of switching labels!4188

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I dont know that there is a difference, how old we talking? There's a sticky post about the very first batch but I dont think those were out long and were replaced for good reason
Post 251 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
...and Im trying hard not to be rude...

I'm trying to find a polite way to say this, and do so because I am new. And I do not want to be part of this "argument", which I am quoting for a reason. So if I come off as rude to you, I apologize. But to be honest, what you said is more about you than the entire collecting community.

Especially this part: "The VAST, Vast, Vast overwhelming majority the "Collecting Community" are Raw collectors that have no use for these Third Party Grading Companies and have absolutely NO interest in spending any of their money for a printed opinion on a label."

I say this because it is more false than true. The only truth you have said is that they do not want to spend money. Collecting anything is not cheap, and having one of every comic out there just defeats the purpose of having comics graded. And the idea that grading 25,000+ comics is a waste of money.

But the rest is not entirely true based on the statements of those you omitted in your counter-argument. As well as the fact that if comic shops were allowed to sell a limited run of 9.6 and 9.8 comics that are both certified and non-slabbed for free, those would be the first to sell.

Why? Because the mass majority of collectors are prone to be "condition sensitive" when it comes to select comic issues. And will make an effort to buy a key issue if the seller guaranteed a certain grade. But graded AND encased/slabbed? That is a different assessment.

So I will just say on that is if we ever met, you will find that my (once again) "in development" collection will only have a small number of graded items. And those not graded cannot be graded. And my stuff being graded is based on my collecting habits. Not yours or anybody else here.

With that said... Cheers on you finding what works best for you!
Post 252 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I hope you, and the others, did not mind me tossing in my two coins into that "argument". As much as I hope that off-topic segment uses those two coins to proverbially cross the River Styx. If not, I do apologize. Because long story short, I have reasons that made me want to speak up.
Post 253 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@shrewbeer Is going back to the older slabs an option for CBCS or was there a problem with those as well?

There are no old CBCS slabs, CBCS is still on generation one. They made a change in the plastic formula early on to fix a problem with the plastic, but they didn't change their molds.
Post 254 IP   flag post
@Instant_Subtitles what we mind don't matter; the more hats the better 🍺
Post 255 IP   flag post

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@shrewbeer Is going back to the older slabs an option for CBCS or was there a problem with those as well?

There are no old CBCS slabs, CBCS is still on generation one. They made a change in the plastic formula early on to fix a problem with the plastic, but they didn't change their molds.

It wasn't a change in the formula. The manufacturer user recycled plastics instead of virgin material. It caused the outer shells to become brittle and break. Once the defective plastics were replaced, the outer shells were back up to snuff.

Steve Borock's response was above and beyond during that hiccup. It appears that Borock is no longer in the driver's seat as this latest blip has rocked on forever without comment. Apparently, we are now dealing with someone who only has a learner's permit.
Post 256 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It appears that Borock is no longer in the driver's seat as this latest blip has rocked on forever without comment.

That is a very dangerous rumor, one I hope is not true. It seems clarity on this is needed now as well.

Many people use CBCS over CGC mostly on the premise of "CGC corporate greed VS Steve Borock, champion for collectors". We, and our books, have been treated much better here. So far...
Post 257 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It appears that Borock is no longer in the driver's seat as this latest blip has rocked on forever without comment.

That is a very dangerous rumor, one I hope is not true. It seems clarity on this is needed now as well.

Many people use CBCS over CGC mostly on the premise of "CGC corporate greed VS Steve Borock, champion for collectors". We, and our books, have been treated much better here. So far...

Steve had no idea that they switched pressers at the NY show. I would think that is a decision that he should have been a part of and was not. Steve was the champion of collectors while at CGC...and we know he is no longer there, he also took great care of his customers while at Heritage and from what I see he is trying to do the same at CBCS, but if you think the people that invested big $$$$$ into getting CBCS off the ground are in it for the collectors, I think you eventually will be disappointed.
Post 258 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Steve had no idea that they switched pressers at the NY show.

Which NY show, how recent?

Quote:
but if you think the people that invested big $$$$$ into getting CBCS off the ground are in it for the collectors, I think you eventually will be disappointed.

Totally understand and agree there; but thought Steve B. had more pull than is being suggested. That's where I hope that I'm wrong
Post 259 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Steve had no idea that they switched pressers at the NY show.

Which NY show, how recent?

Quote:
but if you think the people that invested big $$$$$ into getting CBCS off the ground are in it for the collectors, I think you eventually will be disappointed.

Totally understand and agree there; but thought Steve B. had more pull than is being suggested. That's where I hope that I'm wrong

Last years show at the Javits (the one in October).
Post 260 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics that timeframe was when they stopped recommending you and put forth "P the butcher", who was eventually outed in a hilariously dramatic fashion. Major decisions not made by Steve seem to be giving CBCS a problem, and the rumor just grew another leg.
Post 261 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CFP_Comics that timeframe was when they stopped recommending you and put forth "P the butcher", who was eventually outed in a hilariously dramatic fashion. Major decisions not made by Steve seem to be giving CBCS a problem, and the rumor just grew another leg.

I think it is the "same leg".
Post 262 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I love when people say "I'm really trying not to be rude" or something similar, and then they are. Well played.

In any event, this issue -- which, again, everyone agrees ought to be addressed in some form or another -- has been sufficiently aired out for cbcs to address. Let's hope they do so. #Soon.

Anybody have anything new to add? Or anything further on topic about kap's horrible experience?

Which reminds me - have we heard from kap's buyer lately??
Post 263 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
After explaining to the buyer that he is completely clueless, I would have just accepted the return. Tell him to send it back and when you get it, you will promptly refund him his money. I strongly doubt he plans on "swapping" the book out or label.
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
Ye it seems to me the buyer is maybe more inexperienced than malicious??? Who knows but at the same time after going over everything and reading all of the posts, it seems to me he was buying the "slab" and not the "comic". The comic inside is a 9.8 so who gives a crap??

If it IS having to do with this buyer hear telling of some of this other stuff with cracking cases and comic switches, then yes it's a problem for business from a resale standpoint. Hopefully HE doesn't try to get one over on you either.
Post 265 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I think it is the "same leg".
Ok it never crossed my mind Steve Borock was NOT in the drivers seat at CBCS.
Post 266 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Couldn't CBCS just polish down the rough edge some. Kap Mike, I hope your issue gets resolved properly. I too am surprised that we are not getting any feed back from CBCS. I know that keeping up to date with your customers is imperative. Like @CFP_Comics mentioned, sometimes a response of any kind is better than no response.
Post 267 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CFP_Comics that timeframe was when they stopped recommending you and put forth "P the butcher"

I don't know what this means but I thought CBCS always recommended CFP for pressing? I know I can't talk about shit or I'll get suspended again.
Post 268 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
@CFP_Comics that timeframe was when they stopped recommending you and put forth "P the butcher"

I don't know what this means but I thought CBCS always recommended CFP for pressing? I know I can't talk about shit or I'll get suspended again.

Back around Oct last year they "officially" set this guy Pete Carbonaro as their presser. He screwed up a lot of books (including one of mine). There was an explosion on facebook with the guy at the end (just a few months after getting hired). CBCS did right by everyone who got bad pressing though (fixed mine free and fast). Then in December Steve R announced he was doing it now.
Post 269 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Weird. How do you possibly screw up "a lot of books"? Highly improbable.
Post 270 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke you squish them too hard for too long, add too much moisture and ripple the pages, squish it with the staples in the wrong place and effectively create tears, use bad materials to clean it and inadvertently remove comic ink, etc. Lots of ways to damage comics in the pressing process. Mine had ink removal issues and moisture rippling.
Post 271 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@kaptainmyke you squish them too hard for too long, add too much moisture and ripple the pages, squish it with the staples in the wrong place and effectively create tears, use bad materials to clean it and inadvertently remove comic ink, etc. Lots of ways to damage comics in the pressing process. Mine had ink removal issues and moisture rippling.

How does one fix ink removal? That sounds like the comic was ruined.
Post 272 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Quote:

How does one fix ink removal? That sounds like the comic was ruined.

You cannot add original ink back to a book.
Post 273 IP   flag post
Quote:
You cannot add ink back to a book.

Sure can lol

Post 274 IP   flag post
@moodswing it's all water under the bridge at this point. CBCS stepped up for all his mistakes and we all moved on. 'twas great customer service.
Post 275 IP   flag post
Quote:

Did not know it was that bad, figured he got better over the last few years. I remember reviewing a few books for someone at Mega-Con a few years ago and saw a GS X-Men #1 that looked "floppy" and had a spine that you could shave with. The guy said "Oh, don't worry about that one, it was pressed already". Found out it was PC's work after the fact. Looks like it was done with a 10 ton hydraulic press.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Jesus. I'll just be quiet so I don't get suspended again.
Post 277 IP   flag post
Here's the deal. If I accept this return then I will not be submitting anymore comics for grading with CBCS until I know for sure the scoring on the sides of the cases has been removed or fixed. Also, until this switching labels concern is fixed as well.

Good bye CBCS. Nice knowing ya.
Post 278 IP   flag post

Post 279 IP   flag post
Die-hard fans are dropping like flies.

WHO'S AT THE HELM??
Post 280 IP   flag post
600871 382 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.