Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

ebay buyer accuses me of switching labels!4188

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I have to check mine. I know I have roughness on some slabs but not sure to what degree.
Post 226 IP   flag post
Collector Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Has anyone pointed out that the eBay buyer is NOT saying the label was swapped? He/she is saying he thinks the BOOK was swapped.


*raises his hand* Yo. But I also took it the same way you chose to explain why you do not sell slabbed comics on eBay: The results of being a rookie in this particular field.

However,there are other types of rookies in the wild. And what is needed requires somebody to write a documentation titled "Introduction to Slabbed Comics". Because that is the way this is going.
Post 227 IP   flag post
Collector whowill private msg quote post Address this user
These just got here a week ago.. I'm very concern about this. I got over 100 more still there at CBCS. Will CBCS do anything about this to fix ? These and many others have to go to my customers β˜ΉοΈπŸ™πŸ˜Ÿ




Post 228 IP   flag post
Collector IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ch
also that was only 1 side. Some are clean and some have the roughness on the other side.


The roughness you see is where the plastic is injected into the mold and then trimmed off when removed from the mold. The injection/trim can be on either side. Most likely the mold that makes the slabs has two slabs being made at a time, side by side. The melted plastic enters in the center of the mold and then branches out to both sides. So you have left side/right side slabs and injection points.

If you look at your slabs, you won't see the roughness on BOTH sides.

These look like most of mine. Some will look a bit rougher than others, but regardless, it is nothing more than the point the plastic was injected into the mold and then removed and trimmed.

The type of plastic (clear, high impact polystyrene) makes it look a bit worse visually. If this were a black plastic case made of say polypropylene, it would be much less noticeable. But then we wouldn't be able to see the comic inside...
Post 229 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
ref: what is a "top loader" that includes a bagged book?
Post 230 IP   flag post


COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All of my slabs look like that too
Post 231 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Has anyone pointed out that the eBay buyer is NOT saying the label was swapped? He/she is saying he thinks the BOOK was swapped.



I don't really understand the distinction?

In one instance you have a book with a label it doesn't belong with.

And in the other instance you have... a book with a label it doesn't belong with.

Either way, being in a holder that's not tamper-evident, it's a problem.
Post 232 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user






These came in this morning via trinity
Post 233 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user
I don't care too much about molding roughness as most of mine you cant see from the front. There are a few that u can though. I do wish this wasn't as big an issue, but I sell a fair amount of slabs. Almost all my sales are actually cbcs slabs.
Post 234 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Tell that to my buyer then
Post 235 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
ref: what is a "top loader" that includes a bagged book?


Post 236 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I just have to jump in here with something. One of the reasons that I prefer CBCS over CGC is that there is NO newton rings!! I think they are ugly and distracting from the comic. The old "slide a piece of paper in there" routine doesn't work all the time and they are prone to come back anyways. Yet people buy CGC slabs and just accept them!! Why??? Because the consumer is educated in the fact that they do not harm the actual comic and are just a part of the end result. CBCS uses material that does not result in newton rings, but the process does leave marks on the side. These marks do not interfere with the viewing of the comic. In my mind, I'll take production marks over newton rings every day of the week and twice on Sunday!! People just need to be educated. The more that people buy and sell CBCS slabs, the more exposure they get, the more educated people will get. If you sell slabs on eBay, maybe put a photo of the marks and a brief explanation. Direct people to the FAQ thread. Provide CBCS's 800 number in the listing. Educate them!! Don't assume that the buyer will be familiar with it. And, if you disclose it in pictures and on the sale, people can't say it was different than listed. Just my take.
Post 237 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. I dont use cgc really because i have too many with rings. Also see too many books get damaged by them. Educate the buyer point out any issues. More info the better
Post 238 IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quoteriginally Posted by BigRedOne1944
How bout your Golden or Silver Age Keys? There is absolutely NO other reason to have them slabbed and Authenticated other than Premium Value and the sell ability that comes from the buyer confidence and security in that Authentication. Its that simple. If this was not the case everyone would just send all their books to PGX, which in light of this Security issue might be a better option than CBCS if they DO NOT act fast and decisively in implementing a state of the art Tamper proof product that will restore User and Buyer confidence. It actually may be to late for them to recovery at this point.

I hope Im wrong.

You are wrong, your wish is granted I do want my keys in CBCS slabs, because I want the most accurate grade and the protection the slab gives them. Why would I, or anyone else for that matter, possibly consider PGX given that they overgrade books and miss restoration? It seems your only purpose for a grading company is resale, while for the majority of the collecting community, it is grading and collecting.


I skipped over all of the other jibberish nonsense you posted as it was not even worthy of a reply.

But this part, if not so laughable, is just plain sad. How is it possible to be so naΓ―ve and misinformed?

I guess that becomes more clear as you continue to try and twist the PGX reference(which you obviously didn't understand) into a CBCS vs PGX talking point. So we will just leave that alone as you are unable to comprehend it. Although at this point I think its save to say that even the PGX slab would offer you better Security.


The Majority of the collecting community is in it for grading and collecting?

Now I know your a fellow comic book enthusiast and Im trying hard not to be rude,
but that has to be one of the most asinine statements Ive ever heard in the hobby.

The VAST, Vast, Vast overwhelming majority the "Collecting Community" are Raw collectors
that have no use for these Third Party Grading Companies and have absolutely NO interest in spending
any of their money for a printed opinion on a label.


Long term experienced Raw collectors are intelligent and skilled enough to accurately grade their books without paying for the opinion of a TPGer. These are the true collectors, those who have no interest in rendering their beloved books unreadable by having them sealed up in a plastic prison.

AND they are the backbone of the hobby and outnumber by the millions the extremely small portion of those subbing books looking for favorable grades and the Premium Money/Value that comes with that.

Apparently you are not aware of the fact that these TPGers (Third Party Graders.CGC,CBCS,PGX) would NOT even exist if not for the advent of the online Buying and Selling venues that became prominent in the late 90's and early 2000's (Ebay, Auction Houses and other on line Auction sites)

Comic books, like other collectables (sports cards,Coins, Autographs etc) became commodities to be bought and sold. These new commodities(comics)now presented unique problem. Their Grades,and the value based on those grades(MONEY)), were highly subjective. This made it very difficult for the emerging community of online sellers and buyers to agree on condition/Grade(MONEY) when buying or selling sight unseen.

The solution was an unbiased independent TPGer (CGC) with stated standards that both Buyer & Seller could agree upon and thus would create consumer confidence in buying these commodities online sight unseen.

Of coarse when there's MONEY involved, corruption is never far behind and there's always some greedy Assholes who have to ruin it for the rest of us. Thus it was ABSOLUTLEY IMPAIRITIVEthat the trust and integrity of the TPGers, their Authenticity, and the security features of their slabs became KEY elements in keeping consumer confidence high to ensure the whole system would thieve and keep the MONEY flowing.

The bottom line here is that it was VALUE/MONEY that created the need for TPGing and it is VALUE/MONEY that continues to fuel it.


I have over 10,000 comics in my collection, so ABSLOUTELY YES! The ONLY purpose to have a book graded is to sell it. There is simply NO other logical reason to do so.

*GRADING? I already know full well the grades ( Paying $25 for what I already know is pretty
stupid)

*COLLECTING? Pay $25 so I can no longer feel, see, smell or read the book? Negative There!


*PROTECTION? Plenty of products out there that offer just as safe or safer protection for a
fraction of the cost of having it slabbed (That's a no brainer)

* STORAGE? Ahh!! of coarse! Who doesn't have plenty of room for 1000's of lbs bulky plastic?
Another BIG Negative

*SELLING? Regardless of what you think the time will come when you will have to sell some or
all of your books. Obviously the selected book or books need to be worth more than
the grading fees. Ah! Yes, Here's a nice Daredevil #168! I know it will grade at
least a 9.2. Once Graded it is no longer a Usable Comic Book and it becomes a
Commodity with it's identity defined by the value its label now carries.
Spend $25 to aquire a label that carries a Premium of $150-200? Surely the Only
reason on the list to spend $25
Post 239 IP   flag post
Collector IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Tell that to my buyer then


Your buyer is either an idiot or uniformed and has no interest in being informed. It sucks when it happens. It's happened to me - the buyer was sure something was fishy because the sides flexed open.

If an explanation and a few pictures of other slabs that look the same don't ally their fears, then they aren't worth your time. Someone else will buy the book - probably at a higher price. They aren't worth your time or aggravation.
Post 240 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i should probably accept the return i guess
Post 241 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 242 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 243 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
The first 2 pics are of the comics I had slabbed by CBCS and the second 2 pics are from ones I bought online. Very similar rough cases. One pic for each side of the group. The ones I had slabbed are 7.0 - 9.6 and the purchased ones are 9.6 - 9.8.





Post 244 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
Ten of the ones from the purchased group are from sequentially numbered labels.
Post 245 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
i should probably accept the return i guess


and block
Post 246 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
I have not read the entire thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned. But from what I have read there hasn't been much in suggestions to fix this. So an idea I would like to put up for consideration is... what if the inner well was sealed with the serial number that matched the label


This is a pretty good idea...would simply need to ensure that the 'inner' serial number is visible but doesn't ruin the aesthetic of the case.
me and a friend were discussing this thread and she offered up the idea of using a hole punch on the label and heat sealing that; idea being the label wouldnt be removable
Post 247 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
i should probably accept the return i guess
Call eBay before accepting the return. If you are willing to compensate the buyer for the cost to re-holder the book eBay should take your side. It can't hurt to ask.
Post 248 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Most of cbcs customers are collectors stashing most of their slabs just like raws, not dealers. I get that you dont understand why, but that doesnt make it untrue. The argument is pointless.


@IronMan you make a very good point, its possible there is a tradeoff, where it's either material that creates rings or a slab with mould marks on one side. I'll take the marks πŸ‘πŸ»
Post 249 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Is going back to the older slabs an option for CBCS or was there a problem with those as well?
Post 250 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I dont know that there is a difference, how old we talking? There's a sticky post about the very first batch but I dont think those were out long and were replaced for good reason
Post 251 IP   flag post
Collector Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
...and Im trying hard not to be rude...


I'm trying to find a polite way to say this, and do so because I am new. And I do not want to be part of this "argument", which I am quoting for a reason. So if I come off as rude to you, I apologize. But to be honest, what you said is more about you than the entire collecting community.

Especially this part: "The VAST, Vast, Vast overwhelming majority the "Collecting Community" are Raw collectors that have no use for these Third Party Grading Companies and have absolutely NO interest in spending any of their money for a printed opinion on a label."

I say this because it is more false than true. The only truth you have said is that they do not want to spend money. Collecting anything is not cheap, and having one of every comic out there just defeats the purpose of having comics graded. And the idea that grading 25,000+ comics is a waste of money.

But the rest is not entirely true based on the statements of those you omitted in your counter-argument. As well as the fact that if comic shops were allowed to sell a limited run of 9.6 and 9.8 comics that are both certified and non-slabbed for free, those would be the first to sell.

Why? Because the mass majority of collectors are prone to be "condition sensitive" when it comes to select comic issues. And will make an effort to buy a key issue if the seller guaranteed a certain grade. But graded AND encased/slabbed? That is a different assessment.

So I will just say on that is if we ever met, you will find that my (once again) "in development" collection will only have a small number of graded items. And those not graded cannot be graded. And my stuff being graded is based on my collecting habits. Not yours or anybody else here.

With that said... Cheers on you finding what works best for you!
Post 252 IP   flag post
Collector Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I hope you, and the others, did not mind me tossing in my two coins into that "argument". As much as I hope that off-topic segment uses those two coins to proverbially cross the River Styx. If not, I do apologize. Because long story short, I have reasons that made me want to speak up.
Post 253 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@shrewbeer Is going back to the older slabs an option for CBCS or was there a problem with those as well?

There are no old CBCS slabs, CBCS is still on generation one. They made a change in the plastic formula early on to fix a problem with the plastic, but they didn't change their molds.
Post 254 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Instant_Subtitles what we mind don't matter; the more hats the better 🍺
Post 255 IP   flag post
394478 382 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.