Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Modern Speculation - Minimum Grade?4156

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
When buying Silver or Bronze Age slabbed books I usually try to pick up the nicest copies I can realistically afford (8.5 or higher for Silver, 9.4 or better with Bronze, ideally OW/W pages). Is there a minimum grade collectors on this site seek for Modern Age books (1990s and newer)? In other words, does it even make sense to buy graded copies at 9.4 or below if you're doing so for long term investment opportunities? There are a few key Modern books I'm looking at for speculative purposes and want the forum's thoughts on the minimum grade I should look for that may give me the best chance for a sale sometime down the road. Appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
When buying brand new books off the rack I usually look carefully to avoid defects that will drop a book below 9.6.

Otherwise moderns are no different than other books. A $400 book in 9.8 still has value at 6.0 no matter when it came out.

A book is worth what GPA, completed eBay sales tell you. Strictly following a rule of thumb (grade/age) could cause you to miss opportunities.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks @drchaos. I guess the real question here relates more to buying slabbed books. Does it even make sense for me to buy Moderns below a 9.4 slabbed grade when looking for the best long term gains? I know there is a fine line when slabbing a book does nothing to increase its value from raw.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
9.8 is going to give you the best chance at return, and most modern "keys" are affordable at that grade (so why buy lower?).

There are, *some exceptions. Some newsstand books dont exist (yet) graded at 9.8, or 9.6 even, so the only thing I can get are 9.4s.

Then again, a 9.6 could still get you a return, just not as nice a return. But, if there thousands of 9.8s out there, dont expect to do well with the 9.6 thirty years out.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but thats how I approach it anyways. As always, buy what you like in the highest grade you can afford; you'll have fun that way and if you lose money well hey you spent it on fun!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage71
Thanks @drchaos. I guess the real question here relates more to buying slabbed books. Does it even make sense for me to buy Moderns below a 9.4 slabbed grade when looking for the best long term gains? I know there is a fine line when slabbing a book does nothing to increase its value from raw.

I would worry more about price ($50, $75, $100) than grade.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks @shrewbeer. I kinda thought 9.8s were the only way to go but wanted others to weight in. Now if I can just find sellers who aren't looking to gouge buyers wanting those keys graded as 9.8... 👍🏼
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
If it's a modern that is harder to find that I'm flipping I'll aim for a 9.6 or better. If it's a book that I really want I'll go as low as 9.4
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
If it's a modern that is harder to find that I'm flipping I'll aim for a 9.6 or better. If it's a book that I really want I'll go as low as 9.4

I don't flip but I will go as low as 9.0 or 9.2 knowing that most of those if I 'reallllyyy' wanted to could be pressed up a few points if I were to sell.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I basically look for NM comics so 9.2 and up. If I can afford it, I go for 9.6s. I have no issue getting 9.0 for certain comics too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If you saw a copy of ASM 300 in 7.0 for $20-30 are you going to pass it up because it isn't a 9.0?
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
If you saw a copy of ASM 300 in 7.0 for $20-30 are you going to pass it up because it isn't a 9.0?

Of course not.

Long term investment, it wont perform as well as a 9.8. Short-term, thats a great deal.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Buy 9.8's for moderns until they get to the level of being worth over $100.00 in 9.6 or below. If a 9.8 goes for $200.00, and in 9.6 it goes for $50.00. That would be a book to only buy in 9.8. If 9.8 are $600.00, and 9.6 are $300.00, 9.4 are $175.00. Than you could go after a book in 9.4 or 9.6 if it fits your collection.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Post 13 IP   flag post
600886 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?