Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

The Joker Origin Movie4139

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/22/the-joker-origin-story-movie-reportedly-in-development-separate-from-the-dceu-jared-leto

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
My response to all the news of DC movies taking place outside of the DCEU, including the Batman:

I am a DC fan through and through, but I don't think there's anyone in charge at Warner Bros. right now. They're just throwing stuff on the wall to see if it sticks. If this keeps up I may have to make mine a Marvel when it comes to movies (pains me to a say that)
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
They should rap up the movie like Clue with three different origins.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Early rumors were that Scorsese was Directing. That would have been huge.

The fact it's outside the DCEU is new. But, that will just make for market confusion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
a big part of the Joker's "charm" is his lack of origins and not being able to know his mind. they would lose too much if they made him so that he could be finally understood.
Even Batman, in the J.L.A. story with him in the Morbious chair, learned that there were 3 Jokers when he asked the chair Joker's identity.
A lot of people at DC & W.B. probably want to be the one who puts their stamp on who the Joker "REALLY" is. Upper mgmt have probably said no to that as a long term investment.
How to get around this? Easy. In a story, Joker is hurt or captured. They give him truth serum . He reveals his past, then gives a different past while still under. He might do it a third time. And the details are all things they can't investigate.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
"IGN can confirm that the movie is not going to involve Jared Leto as the character and is not meant to be an origin story for any existing iteration of the character on film. "

WOOHOO!
Post 6 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Man I didn't think DC could get any stupider with their movies but wow jeez
Post 8 IP   flag post
My thought process as details come out:

A Joker solo movie?: Great idea.

Not featuring Leto?: Even better.

Scosese is Direcing?: OMG, OMG!!!

Oh, Scosese is just Producing? 😒

A Joker origin? Do we need this?

And it's not a reboot?: What?

The burning question now: who will play Joker, & how will they play it?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
a big part of the Joker's "charm" is his lack of origins and not being able to know his mind. they would lose too much if they made him so that he could be finally understood.
Even Batman, in the J.L.A. story with him in the Morbious chair, learned that there were 3 Jokers when he asked the chair Joker's identity.
A lot of people at DC & W.B. probably want to be the one who puts their stamp on who the Joker "REALLY" is. Upper mgmt have probably said no to that as a long term investment.
How to get around this? Easy. In a story, Joker is hurt or captured. They give him truth serum . He reveals his past, then gives a different past while still under. He might do it a third time. And the details are all things they can't investigate.

Well....we do know - supposedly....a little bit of the origin......

The Heath Ledger Joker - seemed to have revealed that his father slit his mouth from cheek to cheek.

I also want to say that the Jack Nicholson Joker, in the first Batman movie, his "smile" was caused by the make-up being applied - which he intended to harm Gotham citizens.....but maybe that was just for those who used it.

Hmmm.....how many other possible origin stories are there?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
"IGN can confirm that the movie is not going to involve Jared Leto as the character...."

WOOHOO!

I completely concur.

He sucked and now I cannot unsee it.

:o)
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks

Post 12 IP   flag post
So, will the Batgirl movie be an origin movie? Possibly telling Barb's recovery after the events of 'The Killing Joke'?

If the Joker movie recounts the origin from that story, it could make sense . . .
Post 13 IP   flag post
See what I mean...."multiple choice"....

Thanks for posting.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor

Well....we do know - supposedly....a little bit of the origin......

The Heath Ledger Joker - seemed to have revealed that his father slit his mouth from cheek to cheek.

I also want to say that the Jack Nicholson Joker, in the first Batman movie, his "smile" was caused by the make-up being applied - which he intended to harm Gotham citizens.....but maybe that was just for those who used it.

Hmmm.....how many other possible origin stories are there?

that was one part. watch Heath's again and you'll see he also said to someone else that his wife did it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I believe he said he did it to himself to support his wife who was cut up by a loan shark.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I believe he said he did it to himself to support his wife who was cut up by a loan shark.

I do believe you're right, @00slim. Thanks. And, I think he said one more variation to another person as well.
Would it be something if a completely different origin were created?
I could see it now: he was raised in an orphanage and never knew his name. He took to the streets and things got worse.
just a sample of what they could do.
Post 17 IP   flag post
He started to tell Batman a third origin before he shot the grappling hook at him.

Another story would be interesting, as long as they kept the possibility open that this is just a possible origin. Keeping the mystery.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
He started to tell Batman a third origin before he shot the grappling hook at him.

Another story would be interesting, as long as they kept the possibility open that this is just a possible origin. Keeping the mystery.

This just in: He is a single child from a rich family that always had problems and refused to take his needed meds. A different reason why money was never that big a deal to him. idea #2
Post 19 IP   flag post
then again, he could have been a ufo science/ clone experiment that went bad because of Miss Scarlet with the candleholder coming from the study.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I always thought it would be interesting if one of his origins mirrored Batman's?

What if he was found in an alley as a kid with his murdered parents? The thing is, there's no telling if he murdered them.

He spends his childhood going from home to home in foster care. When a family decides not to adopt him, they never give a reason, but they're clearly terrified of him.

There's a lot of room to build from there.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
"IGN can confirm that the movie is not going to involve Jared Leto as the character and is not meant to be an origin story for any existing iteration of the character on film. "

WOOHOO!

Jared Leto sucked just about as much as Jesse Eisenberg playing Lex... or was it more???
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
I always thought it would be interesting if one of his origins mirrored Batman's?

What if he was found in an alley as a kid with his murdered parents? The thing is, there's no telling if he murdered them.

He spends his childhood going from home to home in foster care. When a family decides not to adopt him, they never give a reason, but they're clearly terrified of him.

There's a lot of room to build from there.

I think they used that for the evil Batman's origin.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
No matter what scenario they use. In the final minute, there will be something that casts doubt on the storyline as being "correct".

That is the way in movies.

Has anyone seen the story about a sequel from the movies "Unbreakable" and "Split"? I understand Mr. Glass will reappear.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
They should do it like St. Elsewhere. Go through the entire movie and then as it is fading to black have it shift to the Joker sitting in Arkham Asylum staring at a picture on the wall. In the back have 2 doctors chatting with one another about a newpaper article/TV News story with similar events we just witnessed in the movie being reported on. That way the audience is shown that the fiction they have watched for last 2 hours is actually fiction within fiction happening within the Joker's mind. That way we still leave the theater not knowing who he is and where he came from and it doesn't change the DC Universe.
Post 25 IP   flag post
So, I would be down with this a bit more if DC was starting an Elseworlds brand for their movies/tv shows.

Like a Netflix series would be great. Give me a four episode arc of Speeding Bullets (Kal-El lands in Gotham), In Darkest Knight (Bruce gets the GL ring), or Red Son (Kal-El in USSR). Warner Bros could have all my money if they did that stuff right. I would give them my wife's money too.

But if they are releasing movies using the same characters without having some clear distinction as to how this Joker is not related to the Leto Joker we're going to see in GCS or other DCEU movies, then its just going to be confusing for the causal moviegoer, who you will need to make a profit.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This movie has some great potential. I mean, when do we ever get a movie that straight up super villain?

They can tell his story as an innocent, get you attached, and then make you watch him turn. There will be no happy ending; but this could be an awesome movie!
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What I'm super confused about, is how the hell is The Batman now not part of the DCEU? That makes no effing sense. They need to fire that director and put Affleck back in charge.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
What I'm super confused about, is how the hell is The Batman now not part of the DCEU? That makes no effing sense. They need to fire that director and put Affleck back in charge.

its been clarified - it is DCEU. The story is just stand alone. It doesn't build on other characters or lead to Justice League 2. Things like that. But its rooted in the same universe. The director just used really sloppy language.

But I do agree, that I would rather see Afleck and Johns running this. After all the time they spent on the script I can't believe WB just trashed it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
This movie has some great potential. I mean, when do we ever get a movie that straight up super villain ?

Suicide Squad maybe??
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?