Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Silver AgeQuestionsSignatures

Perception of CBCS Graded Comics..4126

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
That being said, if certain things stay the same, and other certain things don't change, that might not always be the case going forward.

Something on your mind Darth?

Indeed. Inquiring minds want to know.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That being said, if certain things stay the same, and other certain things don't change, that might not always be the case going forward.

I'd be curious what's on your mind unless it's got vacation time written all over it then you may want to keep that to yourself.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I do not want to know. 2ยข
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I personally own 276 CGC slabs. Far more than the 6 CBCS slabs I currently own. Meaningless. Most of my CGC slabs were submitted and or attained while Steve Borock was one of the pioneers of CGC!

My "perception" of CBCS is quite definitive and strong, period. In my years alive the wisdom I've attained has confirmed for me most beings are not only daft, but content followers ๐Ÿ˜’
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
I think every buyer and seller have unique perspectives, and thus each sale is unique in itself. Sometimes key books sell for way to low, sometimes way to high. It's all a negotiation, previous sales are a guideline but not set in stone for any grading company.

Does CGC sell for the most generally?

Yes.

Does CBCS sell close to CGC prices generally?
Yes.

Does PGX sell for the lowest generally?

Yes.

Does that mean a CBCS book can't sell for more than a CGC book?

No.

Does that mean a 9.0 PGX Action Comics #1 isn't worth millions of dollars?

No.

@KingNampa
That's my view!
So this guy messaging you could be using sales tactics to bring you down, or maybe he just devalues CBCS from a bad incident in his past, or maybe his friend told him CBCS is worth 20% less...point is, it doesn't matter. Either convince him up or move on, at least from a sales perspective. Get the price you want or take less or wait for more. The answer is yes, we've all seen this and you will see this again if you sell on eBay...and expect many many many many other strange things. People are strange, so sales are too sometimes.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Drogio Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
...less competition means lower prices.

From my experience, more competition means lower prices.

You misread my post....what I am saying is less of an audience bidding on a cbcs book (vice the same book and grade in a cgc slab) will likely mean you'll get a lower end price...That's why I would not recommend an auction style format when selling a cbcs book on eBay as it may not get the number of views a cgc book may get. On the contrary...The buy it now prices seem very comparable to cgc as they allow for more time to find the right buyer who understands the value of a cbcs graded book.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
On gocollect, you can check past sales on Ebay for either CBCS or CGC. Or both.

On that data base, there is no doubt that CBCS books sell for less. Seems to be about 5 to 10% less.

But I expect that gap to narrow in the next couple of years. And as has been mentioned, there is no reason a CBCS book can not sell for more than a comparable CGC book. People do have likes and dislikes, but more are favoring CGC at this time.

I don't see any sales near 20% less, except outliers.
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man

Yes. Who's going to pay a million for a book thats likely over graded and could be restored?

A raw Action that a buyer can examine for themselves has a better chance of selling for 1M than a PGX in an online auction.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd be curious what's on your mind unless it's got vacation time written all over it then you may want to keep that to yourself.

Wait a minute. Something got brought up he didn't want to share. I hope people don't start hitting the report flag over it.
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater It's already been shared...

Post 35 IP   flag post
CBCS needs to address their slab security and enforcement of the inner well heat seals. Otherwise perception of trust in CBCS books can and will be effected.

There. I said it.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Yes. Who's going to pay a million for a book thats likely over graded and could be restored?

A raw Action that a buyer can examine for themselves has a better chance of selling for 1M than a PGX in an online auction.

Buy the book, not the slab!
Even a restored 9.0 Action 1 could claim half a mil, depends if trimmed and how much resto is done.

I haven't seen many, if any, examples of PGX missing restoration on higher grade books. I've seen mostly mid to low grade stuff related to missing a trim, glue, or color touch.

But anyway what I mean is a book is a book and people are people, which means both experts and amateurs are in the pool. We can't assume we know what something will sell for, we can guess, but in the end it's supply and demand. The slab acts as a regulator to the base price, but it can still swing quite a bit above and below.
That's why when you call any auction site they give an "estimate" to a comic value but they never guarantee anything and make sure you know it hehe. In fact, most comic auctioneers use the term "rolling the dice", at least from my experience.

I think a PGX Action Comics 1 would probably sell for the raw value equivalent, but then again, back to my point, I've never seen a PGX Action 1 go for sale so how can I try to guess lol it's a waste of time. It's 100% unpredictable, ball park maybe, but just depends what the people want. I bought a comic once for $160 and sold it for $4200 just because the buyer was a specific magazine-size collector with no budget restrictions to complete his collection lol...he had to have it.

To your point,
YES Raw >= PGX
YES PGX misses things
But also, YES if a comic is worth 750k raw doesn't mean it won't sell for 1M(+250k) in a PGX case due to some sort of bidding war.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
CBCS needs to address their slab security and enforcement of the inner well heat seals. Otherwise perception of trust in CBCS books can and will be effected.

There. I said it.

I agree.
Also, I hate to say it but I just got my hands on the new CGC cases(1st time)...Im a fan lol...there I said it. CBCS cases a close 2nd...PGX labels are much nicer now but their slabs are still old style.

@shrewbeer
CBCS forum, our comic grading therapy room/confession booth. Haha!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Also, I hate to say it but I just got my hands on the new CGC cases(1st time)...Im a fan lol...

The CGC cases are nice except for the rainbow effect/newton rings that can happen from the plastics touching each other.

I haven't had too many issues with this, but my WW50 photo cover Gal Gadot SS was a giant reflective rainbow on the front when I first got it. Fortunately, CGC took care of this on their dime and fixed it w/a larger case. It is REALLY off putting when it happens though.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:

Also, I hate to say it but I just got my hands on the new CGC cases(1st time)...Im a fan lol...

The CGC cases are nice except for the rainbow effect/newton ring that can happen from the plastics touching each other.

I haven't had too many issues with this, but my WW50 photo cover Gal Gadot SS was a giant reflective rainbow on the front when I first got it. Fortunately, CGC took care of this on their dime and fixed it w/a larger case. It is REALLY off putting when it happens though.

Oh totally, I imagine there would be problems with new things...luckily I haven't seen them yet!
Good on CGC for doing that.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Buy the book, not the slab!

True in theory

However, when buying from Heritage or Comiclink, I have to buy the slab. Trust in the grade and restoration detection is everything online.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Just sold Rick and Morty #1 First Printing CBCS 9.8 for $557.99. That's $7.99 over the highest CGC sold. WOOT!
Post 42 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke congrats!!! Take that 10% below statistics! Haha
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Just sold Rick and Morty #1 First Printing CBCS 9.8 for $557.99. That's $7.99 over the highest CGC sold. WOOT!

?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADULT-SWIM-RICK-MORTY-COMIC-1-1st-print-regular-A-cover-CGC-9-8-new-slab-/192270334739?hash=item2cc4347b13:g:FIgAAOSwGzxZiNwg
Post 44 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADULT-SWIM-RICK-MORTY-COMIC-1-1st-print-regular-A-cover-CGC-9-8-new-slab-/192270334739?hash=item2cc4347b13:g:FIgAAOSwGzxZiNwg

Post 45 IP   flag post
Guess I know what to sell the next one for. Got 3 more.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There. I said it.

So is this all coming from that post about the video where the guy swapped a book out of the CBCS case? I haven't been on the boards too much lately, so I may have missed something.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Alright, I'm advertising tamper evident heat seals on my next one, and much higher now lol clickable text
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

There. I said it.

So is this all coming from that post about the video where the guy swapped a book out of the CBCS case? I haven't been on the boards too much lately, so I may have missed something.

Yeah pretty much. The discussion keeps getting ugly. The short of it is the slab can be opened with out detection while CBCS calls it tamper evident, AND CBCS says the inner well is secure with the heat seals extending into the label so that cannot be swapped, but it turns out at least a quarter of the books being produced don't have that seal (QC probs I would imagine). Waiting to hear something from CBCS on the whole thing...
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater It's already been shared...

Can't write that I saw it. Mr. MeeSeeks would you care to share whatever it was again? I'm using Mr. MeeSeeks as you put up the meme about it and I guess you somehow relate whatever Mr. Meeseeks is to yourself or the situation. I'm a little confused.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Yeah pretty much. The discussion keeps getting ugly. The short of it is the slab can be opened with out detection while CBCS calls it tamper evident, AND CBCS says the inner well is secure with the heat seals extending into the label so that cannot be swapped, but it turns out at least a quarter of the books being produced don't have that seal (QC probs I would imagine). Waiting to hear something from CBCS on the whole thing...

Hmmm, so it seems that CGC lost a lot of cred when they refused to acknowledge the creep engine issue. I would hope CBCS just comes out and addresses this upfront to avoid that loss of cred.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I have sold CBCS books for the same price as and for more than their counterparts from the cgc. I do not sell them for less. Unfortunately, there isn't a service that tracks CBCS sales unless it's GoCollect.

Hey @DrWatson! Minor FYI, Nostomania does track them all - CGC, CBCS, even PGX and uncertified sales. If you guys want a sample book check, let me know, or just check yourself. I'll admit, I was kinda disappointed when I first noticed the CBCS sales clocking in lower than CGC, typically but not always, for the same book, same grade. I first reported this trend in a market report in late 2015.

The topic has been discussed here in past posts, and many plausible explanations have been brought up. The sales data tells the real story though. There has been a gap, but I'm seeing this gap begin to close. The startup of CBCS has been an extremely valuable and healthy addition to our hobby, only good things will come of it.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@kaptainmyke congrats!!! Take that 10% below statistics! Haha

Just like you can't point to one storm and say it's evidence of global warming or cooling, you can't point to one sale and call it a statistical trend. But yeah, congrats on a nice sale.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Thanks, I guess
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I have sold CBCS books for the same price as and for more than their counterparts from the cgc. I do not sell them for less. Unfortunately, there isn't a service that tracks CBCS sales unless it's GoCollect.

Hey @DrWatson! Minor FYI, Nostomania does track them all - CGC, CBCS, even PGX and uncertified sales. If you guys want a sample book check, let me know, or just check yourself. I'll admit, I was kinda disappointed when I first noticed the CBCS sales clocking in lower than CGC, typically but not always, for the same book, same grade. I first reported this trend in a market report in late 2015.

The topic has been discussed here in past posts, and many plausible explanations have been brought up. The sales data tells the real story though. There has been a gap, but I'm seeing this gap begin to close. The startup of CBCS has been an extremely valuable and healthy addition to our hobby, only good things will come of it.

Generally, what does your data show the gap to be at percentage wise? Also, what trend annually has that gap closed on the data you have?
Post 55 IP   flag post
600892 63 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?