Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPComics Silver AgeQuestionsSignatures

Perception of CBCS Graded Comics..4126

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Had this wonderful conversation today with a potential ebay buyer.

My Item: X-men #1 signed by Stan lee value at around $4k, Graded by CBCS.
--Value determined how? one just like it sold last week on ebay Link to Sold item

But the one that sold was CGC....thoughts? Have you experienced this as a seller recently?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
no - but I wouldn't even go into the discussion with a buyer
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Thankfully I haven't. Most of what I sell is my CGC stuff my CBCS slabs I try to keep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That buyer is an idiot. However if certain things keep going they way they have been lately that buyer's idiotic perceptions might become reality.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa
Many potential buyers will try to devalue a book so they can afford it lol...a fair value is probably more along the lines of the average sold price of the same item + the lowest listed price from anyone else ÷ 2.

To most people CGC is 1st, CBCS 2nd, PGX 3rd. But sometimes the argument comes up "well if I'm going to send to CBCS to save money I might as well send it to PGX because they are even cheaper/faster...or if I want that premium value might as well just pay the little extra for CGC over CBCS...no?"

It's just people, everyone has an opinion...ignore him or convince him, up to you!

Awesome book! Good luck on the sale.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Although he is very direct, does he have a point? I don't have much data of CBCS sold to compare to.

Do CBCS books sell for less in your experience? I don't think 20% less, but perhaps 5-10% less?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@KingNampa It depends on the buyer, there are buyers (myself included) who will actually pay higher prices to get what they want in CBCS instead of CGC.

That being said, if certain things stay the same, and other certain things don't change, that might not always be the case going forward.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I sell my CBCS slabs for the CGC equivalent. I also don't negotiate on them on eBay. Did you have best offer up? When I don't set best offer I just ignore questions related to price because it's a waste of my time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
That being said, if certain things stay the same, and other certain things don't change, that might not always be the case going forward.

Something on your mind Darth?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That buyer is an idiot. However if certain things keep going they way they have been lately that buyer's idiotic perceptions might become reality.

What are you talking about? What certain things? Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Do CBCS books sell for less in your experience? I don't think 20% less, but perhaps 5-10% less?

The real problem is there usually aren't a lot of cbcs grade books to make good comparisons. Look for a popular book that has good value and trades often.such as asm #300..I bet cgc and cbcs prices are comparable within 5% on average.

The only reason I can see why cbcs sales may not be as high as cgc on eBay is that not as many people think to search for them...(thus the "not cgc" added to auction titles)....less competition means lower prices. Me, I look for cbcs first when I'm looking for a book because (1) I know the grading is slightly more strict than cgc and thus more confident I'm getting what I paid for and (2) I likely will get the book at a slightly better price than the cgc equivalent for the reasons stated above.

Anyone that says cbcs is "worth" less than a cgc graded book is not educated. Help the, or ignore them...as comic book man said.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I have sold hundreds of CBCS slabs and i rarely ever sell below GPA; in fact, I'd say 95% of the time i can sell them higher than GPA.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo76
I sell my CBCS slabs for the CGC equivalent. I also don't negotiate on them on eBay. Did you have best offer up? When I don't set best offer I just ignore questions related to price because it's a waste of my time.

It was Buy It Now. No Best offer. But I'm open to communication. Not really in a rush to sell it. I know it will continue to appreciate.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know - doesn't take much 'research' -just click on the "About" CBCS and you see former CGC people, former President at that.
Makes me believe that CBCS is equivalent to CGC.

I don't really sell, but what drew me to CBCS is their verified signature program, and they were at my local Toronto Con.

That being said I will probably sell some of the books I had verified so I can raise funds to other books I want.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
...less competition means lower prices.

From my experience, more competition means lower prices.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy my slabs from both companies. I think next time I go to a show I'm going to use this as a negotiation tactic.

"But Mr. Dealer it's a CGC slab and it's a fact there slabs sale for less because they're grading is looser and erratic at times . I mean if it was a CBCS slab I wouldn't have a problem paying your full asking price."

I'm sure some dealers may just come across the table and attack me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa The perception IS out there. But its not common, and held by those that just dont know anything outside of their little CGC world. I had a buyer suggest the same thing to me last year. I attempted to edjumacate him. Didnt go so well. Lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have sold CBCS books for the same price as and for more than their counterparts from the cgc. I do not sell them for less. Unfortunately, there isn't a service that tracks CBCS sales unless it's GoCollect.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Buying a cbcs book at a 20% discount to cgc is a great deal
Post 18 IP   flag post
@andy49 PGX books you can usually buy 15-20% less than their CGC/CBCS counterpart.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
My CBCS books seem to sell lower. In my own experience. However, I just sold a CBCS 9.2 ASM #300 crop dusted by Stan Lee's right hand for $500 so that wasn't bad, right?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@andy49 PGX books you can usually buy 15-20% less than their CGC/CBCS counterpart.

I don't bother looking at or buying pgx books, guess I can't get past their history.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
It's very rare that I will buy a CGC book, in fact I just bought my first one in over a year - and that's only because i've been chasing it for four years - and I literally paid 40% below FMV.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
http://comics.gocollect.com/ sees them as equals, so I would simply use that to defend the price as being equal.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think that potential buyer is correct by any means. 20 percent is steep. It's just a negotiation tactic.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
Buying a cbcs book at a 20% discount to cgc is a great deal

Well that's an understatement. It's a hell of a deal for the buyer. For the seller, not so much.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:

Indeed. Inquiring minds want to know.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:

Indeed. Inquiring minds want to know.
I'd be curious what's on your mind unless it's got vacation time written all over it then you may want to keep that to yourself.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I do not want to know. 2¢
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I personally own 276 CGC slabs. Far more than the 6 CBCS slabs I currently own. Meaningless. Most of my CGC slabs were submitted and or attained while Steve Borock was one of the pioneers of CGC!

My "perception" of CBCS is quite definitive and strong, period. In my years alive the wisdom I've attained has confirmed for me most beings are not only daft, but content followers 😒
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
I think every buyer and seller have unique perspectives, and thus each sale is unique in itself. Sometimes key books sell for way to low, sometimes way to high. It's all a negotiation, previous sales are a guideline but not set in stone for any grading company.

Does CGC sell for the most generally?

Yes.

Does CBCS sell close to CGC prices generally?
Yes.

Does PGX sell for the lowest generally?

Yes.

Does that mean a CBCS book can't sell for more than a CGC book?

No.

Does that mean a 9.0 PGX Action Comics #1 isn't worth millions of dollars?

No.

@KingNampa
That's my view!
So this guy messaging you could be using sales tactics to bring you down, or maybe he just devalues CBCS from a bad incident in his past, or maybe his friend told him CBCS is worth 20% less...point is, it doesn't matter. Either convince him up or move on, at least from a sales perspective. Get the price you want or take less or wait for more. The answer is yes, we've all seen this and you will see this again if you sell on eBay...and expect many many many many other strange things. People are strange, so sales are too sometimes.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601257 63 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?