Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Census and/or Registry Update? Round 24122

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I was trying to do monthly pings on the last version of this thread to keep it alive and I must have missed it by just enough that it got archived...so I'm bringing it back!

Any update on the CBCS census and/or Registry? We are going on something like 2 years since this was said to be "coming #soon"
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
really?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I'm kind of curious also. We were told there was a lot of stuff coming up this year. We got the newsstand/direct destinations and that's about it unless I'm missing something. With the year almost 2/3's of the way over #soon is getting further and further away.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Has it really been 2 months since you bumped that?!

Maybe #soon = Nevah
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Also and update on #swapgate please CBCS.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Has it really been 2 months since you bumped that?!

Maybe #soon = Nevah

Is 2 months the official archive time? I looked at the original post and it said my last bump was "1 month ago" but i think that little timer is just an estimate so i'm sure it was more than a month ago but not quite 2 months....either way, it is archived now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
2 months, so I've heard here anyways. Maybe its a flat 60, that would make sense why yours may still say 1 month
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
We getting closer?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks They can't even get the spelling right on labels right now, lol. You are expecting a lot.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@RyanHicks They can't even get the spelling right on labels right now, lol. You are expecting a lot.

Plus 15 week grading tats and 24 week pressing tats...

#notinthislifetime
Post 11 IP   flag post
I do have high expectations; especially with companies that i have been working with for a long time. I've been asking for and waiting for these features for years so all I can really do is keep it to the forefront of their attention
Post 12 IP   flag post
Monthly ping to see if #Soon is almost here yet?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks
I was told that they have been having trouble getting it to work correctly. This was within the past month or two by a person I would call a reliable source. While they did not specifically say so, I got the sense that it was not close to being rolled out anytime soon.

I was rather disappointed to hear that.

I'm not a programmer or a software person, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of how hard or easy it is to develop. But I just won't think it should be too difficult. If anyone on the forums has input on this, I'd love to hear it.

I'm hoping it's just not a top priority with all the other issues or things they have going on right now. And that we'll see some movement once they get TAT's and pressing in order.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I am a web developer and while I will not trivialize the amount of work required to build either of these things (census or registry), it is definitely not something that would take a solid developer working on only that project more than a couple months. For the census, most of the work is actually obtaining and storing the data which i would imagine they are doing as they grade books; building the actual interface to access and display the data would not be a ton of effort depending on what types of features they are trying to roll out with. The registry would be a bit more challenging due to all of the rules and validation that would be required to build out as well as an internal workflow to maintain it and ensure its integrity as people submit books as well as make changes as they sell books.

I know their IT team really only consists of 1 or 2 developers so i suspect that the main reason for the 2+ year delay is just that it is just not priority; which is the primary reason of the monthly pings of this post, trying to just keep a reminder that it is something that we as customers want and need.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Just got my hands on some very rare high grade newsstands, going to send them in for re-holder just to get 'em on the census (graded before the newsstand split).

If only we had a census

c'mon Beckett resources, do your thing!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
I am a web developer and while I will not trivialize the amount of work required to build either of these things (census or registry), it is definitely not something that would take a solid developer working on only that project more than a couple months.

Being a services developer myself, I also would not trivialize the amount of work. With that said, with someone like Ryan doing the UI side of things so that I could concentrate on the code and database work, I think it could be outsourced and done in about 2-3 months as long as they already know what they want it to look like. If the devs working on it have to also come up with screen proofs, etc, it could take longer due to the back and forth. The hardest hurdle might be overcoming "basement" level code and migrating to true enterprise level stuff.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It’s OK if it looks primitive like it was built on a 386 using the DOS shell platform.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
would that work the same way using Fortran or Cobol?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer WYSIWYG.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
better on OS/2 Warp
Post 21 IP   flag post
Are we almost there yet? Really hoping the Beckett acquisition is going to push this to the forefront of the priorities list.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks Per the recent posts in the "Pressing" thread, the option to add Pressing still hasn't been added to the on-line submission form yet. And they started to offer pressing about 11 months ago. So I'm not optimistic that it will be coming anytime soon, even with Beckett.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Yea, i know its wishful thinking but the purpose of this thread is my attempt to keep it top of mind; for both CBCS and the forum/customer base (been pinging it every month for over a year and was pressing CBCS about it even a year before that lol). CBCS is only going to prioritize it if customers demand it. In my opinion, this should be the absolute highest priority (second only to speeding up TAT's which they have already started improving). The census and registry are really the only major feature keeping CBCS trailing behind CGC (regardless of what people think of the quality of each company; i'm purely referring to the options offered). In my opinion, the lack of census and registry is a primary force behind keeping really high-end collectors, competitive collectors, and dealers from using CBCS over the competition.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Census and registry is what need to be done, CBCS needs to put this on there highest priority, i dont see why this would take over a year to do?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Is this new? I dont seem to remember seeing it before

Post 26 IP   flag post
that been up there for a while now, like the cbcs Census and registry .
lol
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - That’s been there far too long. I feel like “soon” means “one of these YEARS.”
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If given the option of #1 priority being a registry or turnaround time - sorry but I choose TAT hands down
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
If given the option of #1 priority being a registry or turnaround time - sorry but I choose TAT hands down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

+1
Post 30 IP   flag post
600901 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?