Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

what's up with Mile High Prices?4097

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Been noticing lately that while some books are at or about guide prices others are multiples over.
Just wondering what is going on - is it just they are closer to the real world demand and future publications of Overstreet will catch up?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I've never been real impressed with their prices. Miles above the rest, too high for me!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, they've always been extremely over priced on everything I wanted to purchase from them.

I also don't know what grading guidelines they use, but from my personal experience with them, they claim books are better condition than what they actually come as.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
They're....mile high 😏
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
They price aggressively to take advantage of those who do not know any better.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199

But they must get those prices at least on occasion - yes?

I had a bulk buy of loose bronze recently and found a few gems in the bunch - was happy with the guide prices (a few years old guide at that). i.e. Weird War Tales 64 (first Miller DC work) in my guide says $75 at NM but Mile High has it at almost $160!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
I stick with MCS. They have the best selection and have been pleased with their condition descriptions.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Mile High only has one distinct advantage, they have what's possibly is the largest selection. They literally have millions of books.

They're worth shopping if you shop their discounts, but other than that you will pay a premium.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Their prices are still way over guide even after their discounts.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Super high. I went in and found a dollar bin book. Guy wanted to charge me $16 for it. I laughed in his face and walked out.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199

But they must get those prices at least on occasion - yes?

I had a bulk buy of loose bronze recently and found a few gems in the bunch - was happy with the guide prices (a few years old guide at that). i.e. Weird War Tales 64 (first Miller DC work) in my guide says $75 at NM but Mile High has it at almost $160!

Chuck regularly discounts the entire store 40-50% off. Pretty much every major holiday. Sign up for his mailing list and only shop then

He basically lists everything way over guide then does the deep discounts to sell off shitloads of books. Kohls got in legal trouble for that practice (because they ALWAYS are "on sale", but Mile high does it right. It's a sales tactic that works. Some good deals can be had though
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Use their "code word" to get the books at a somewhat reasonable price, but knock a grade off (or two) to avoid disappointment.

I tried them a few times and gave up, can't keep paying near mint prices for 7.5/8.0 books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Their prices are high because they are working off a "One stop shopping" model which costs more to sustain. They try to literally stock everything you might want so that you don't have to search endlessly. That means they have more money tied up in inventory and they have to make more per book to pay their operating expenses. You are paying for the convenience.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Their prices are high because they are working off a "One stop shopping" model which costs more to sustain. They try to literally stock everything you might want so that you don't have to search endlessly. That means they have more money tied up in inventory and they have to make more per book to pay their operating expenses. You are paying for the convenience.

Always eBay 😁
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I got some books from them a couple of times. Never again! Overpriced, Overgraded and absolutely non-existence customer service. I avoid them at all cost like the plague.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
MH has always had prices too high. But do not put so much stock in what Overstreet guide says, they are only a "guide" and by the time they publish are already 6 months behind the real world marketplace.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Why is it that people single out Mile High Comics? I've never gotten it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

I'm sure there are others too..I was just on the site recently checking what I found in a bulk mix of bronze books and was surprised at the difference between guide and their prices and wondered if anyone else thought it was a bit weird.

Hey if I can flip some of these books for what they ask I'll be even further ahead!!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I definitely think they stand out in terms of their pricing. I've bought from them here and there over the years, almost always during one of their "50/60% off the whole inventory" sales. I first bought a large order from them via their eBay account, and then started getting their Star Wars variants when they did the cool Boba Fett one for Star Wars #1. I don't think I've found a similar store online in terms of selection that had as consistently high pricing as they do... not just higher than average, but statistically significantly higher.

I think @shrewbeer nailed their general model. Personally, the only real thing that's been an issue is that when I've been getting their own variants, at $20 each, they tend to not arrive in very good shape... either shipping or handling damage consistently, for brand new books that are theirs from the printer. I haven't complained though, so that's on me I guess.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Someone posted a YouTube video that had chuck(?) explain the business model...it was based off some local mom-pop hardware store...and I walked away from it wondering how they can survive in his day and age selling comics with that model...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

You hit the nail on the head here @X51. You find the world's best collection, ever, and you can ride that wave a long time, but that alone shouldn't make you king forever. I'm not a big fan myself. I've seen this model in practice and it turned me off. Rozanski used to show up at regional cons with his crew in tow and restock by buying up dealer inventory at shows. Word would spread that "Chuck is here and he's buying!" and you'd see these dealers start salivating like Pavlov dogs. And I'm thinking, if he's buying from dealers to stock his stores, then what does he charge to make up that margin? My main takeaway here is please, all of ya, don't let their asking prices lull you into thinking any book is worth that - they are only worth what you are willing to pay for them my friends.
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Peyote.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
Mile High has always had insanely high pricing. Like this copy of New Mutants #98... raw direct edition. Near Mint... they're asking $1,350.00 for it. Seriously?!?

Or this newsstand copy with a certain ad in it... again, raw... $3,600.

Are you out of your damn mind, Chuck?!?!?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Either I have a knack of finding books priced below value, or I'm very unlucky. Three books in a row from Ebay, were canceled and I was told out of stock. No book for me. Mile highs Ebay store.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@TommyJasmin So, you are saying that he buys like other dealers do at shows? How does that make him any different from any other large dealer?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@TommyJasmin So, you are saying that he buys like other dealers do at shows? How does that make him any different from any other large dealer?

It depends on what prices he is paying. For him, every book he buys is overhead. If he's paying FMV for every book he's buying, then he has to charge more to recoup his investment and cover his overhead.

I do not believe that his GMROI can be all that high.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Whatever he's doing, he's not failing. So theres that anyways.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Either I have a knack of finding books priced below value, or I'm very unlucky. Three books in a row from Ebay, were canceled and I was told out of stock. No book for me. Mile highs Ebay store.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

It depends on what prices he is paying. For him, every book he buys is overhead. If he's paying FMV for every book he's buying, then he has to charge more to recoup his investment and cover his overhead.

I do not believe that his GMROI can be all that high.

I don't think any dealer at a show ever pays FMV for a book. It doesn't matter if that's Chuck or anyone else. No idea, on his business and its GMROI.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Chuck wants you to know it's a privilege purchasing from his curated, prestige mile high collection.

He's operating on the same model he used when he was a mail-order ad in the middle of your latest marvel comic book.

His "keyword sale" strategy is akin to a clearance inventory sell-out: jack up the original price then mark it down 35-50%. Sounds like a deal but you're back at the original price.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?