Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Some help grading4081

Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
ComicLink and Mycomicshop are two places that I've purchased from. Heritage is also pretty good but their buyer's fee kills it for me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah thing is even on ebay buying comics from America are cheaper than the uk but you get charges and high postage costs.

So a comic that was for sale at £65 in the end cost me £95 from America.

Any uk auction sites?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see any NM books in the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92
Unfortunately ebay.

Not too sure what the go to auction sites are?

Not sure why it's EBay's Fault. I would suggest doing some research
and educating yourself on Grading skills.

If you know what you are doing Ebay is far and away better than any other Auction sites.

Mycomicshop is not a bad option, but I have gotten overgraded books from them as well.

It's all subjective, so finding a seller that meets your grading criteria is the most critical thing.

Good luck with your future purchases
Post 28 IP   flag post
No no I totally hold my hands up and say its my lack of experience and taking people's opinions on ebay.

But I did follow the cbcs guidelines and to me they are 9.0+ apart from the SM1.

Apparently going by this https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades

So this is apparently 9.4 - 9.2 and my answers to them:

NEARMINT TO NEARMINT-9.4 TO 9.2

• This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal. -- "thats why I bought them because they looked better thsn others"

• It is vibrant with supple pages. -- "yes in person the covers are brilliant and full of colour"

• The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines that break color.
Minor creasing. -- "yeah they do but not majorly"

• The spine is almost completely flat. -- "pretty much nothing a press cannot sort"

• The cover is relatively flat with almost minimal surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity. -- "No surface wear at all (minus sm1) only wear is the typical corner which is slight"

• The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance. -- "No discolouration in any of the staples at all"

• The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white/white, but can be cream/off-white with the absence of other defects. -- "off white yes 1 comic has white pages."

Will CGC be as scrutinising as yourselves? Obviously you guys are buying wanting nothing but the best which is understandable.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92
No no I totally hold my hands up and say its my lack of experience and taking people's opinions on ebay. Who are the "people's opinions on ebay"? The sellers?

But I did follow the cbcs guidelines and to me they are 9.0+ apart from the SM1.

Apparently going by this https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades

So this is apparently 9.4 - 9.2 and my answers to them:

NEARMINT TO NEARMINT-9.4 TO 9.2

• This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal. -- "thats why I bought them because they looked better thsn others"

• It is vibrant with supple pages. -- "yes in person the covers are brilliant and full of colour"

• The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines that break color.
Minor creasing. -- "yeah they do but not majorly" Unfortunately, there are a lot of stress lines on your books and they're not very small.

• The spine is almost completely flat. -- "pretty much nothing a press cannot sort"

• The cover is relatively flat with almost minimal surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity. -- "No surface wear at all (minus sm1) only wear is the typical corner which is slight"

• The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance. -- "No discolouration in any of the staples at all"

• The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white/white, but can be cream/off-white with the absence of other defects. -- "off white yes 1 comic has white pages."

Will CGC be as scrutinising as yourselves? Obviously you guys are buying wanting nothing but the best which is understandable.

Okay, so you admit you don't have experience with grading. Just reading off the defects of a book in 9.2 - 9.4 book and comparing it to your book is not how it works. Grading is not just a checklist. It takes experience to know the difference between grades.
If you just started and these are the books you picked up then I suggest you pick up Overstreet's Grading Guide. It provides you pictures with allowable defects for each grade.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Experience is the best teacher and no matter how hard you try, you cannot speak a grade into existence.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Yeah I'll give that overstreets a good reading.

Think I've accumulated about 50+ comics now under the impression they were of said grade so I wonder how many were true.

I'll be going to comic-con in October so ill try and put it into practice with the comics on offer.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Sounds like you're new to the hobby and looking at the books you put up on this thread, you may just be jumping at books that are currently either hot or on a cooling trend. Unfortunately, condition is everything with newer books so it may benefit you if you took some time to understand and learn the grading process. The books you showed are keys but they're not in the condition where you will see huge swings in prices unless they're in higher grade.
Post 33 IP   flag post
While there are indeed many publications such as Overstreet that can help give you a "general" idea of basic grading rules. They ARE JUST THAT, Basic information. Comic Book Grading is VERY subjective and each and every Book is unique and has it's own "Finger Print". No two are alike, and No two are ever going to easily and conveniently always fall into any particular description in any grading guide line publication.

Grading skills are ONLY developed by years of handling and viewing the various nuances of thousands of individual books. While it is indeed to your advantage to begin somewhere in educating and developing your abilities to acess a comic book with an unbiased opinion, It is not something that is learned overnight or from just reading descriptions in a Grading Guide.

The books you posted, with out actually having them in hand appear to be in the VFN range (7, 7.5, 8.0)

You will need to be MUCH more critical in how you interpred the given descriptions in those Grading Guides if the books are ever going to pass the scrutiny of CGC or CBCS graders.

In time you will begin to develop a much tighter and stricter interpretation of the Grading Guidelines and how to apply them to each individual book. This is why Grading is so subjective. They first rule of thumb is that it is Better to be much stricter than looser when moving into the area of "High Grade" Books.

There are simply way too many variables involved to be able to accurately assign a grade based solely on some basic grading guidelines published in a hobby book.

Keep at it! you'll get there.

John
Post 34 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Experience is the best teacher and no matter how hard you try, you cannot speak a grade into existence.

Some have tried many times. Rarely ends the way they want.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I appreciate everyone's feedback and its been tough realising my comics which were apparently Nm are in fact no where near that grade but if I hadn't asked then I would have carried on accepting people "Nm" comics and thinking thats what they were.

I will now scrutinise comics a lot more now and I feel I have every right.

Cheers
Post 36 IP   flag post
Its a learning experience Mickee, and you have already taken the first step in the right direction.

Keep up the good work!

John
Post 37 IP   flag post
601363 37 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?