Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Some help grading4081

Collector Mickee92 private msg quote post Address this user
So I've sent a few scans of my comics to a comic book buyer with the intention to maybe in the future have them graded but only if their going to be at least a 9.0.

Now a few of them were bought at Nm some I took a chance on and by going from the cbcs grading steps some seem fairly true.

Would it be possible to email a couple of you guys who have the grading skills some scans of them and see what you think (32 scans). The scans will show the comics cover in pretty true form.

Obvs DM me your email address if you're willing to help a currently disappointed man out.

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
How many books?
If it's not a lot, you'd get the best results by posting a pic of the front, back and a representative interior page here.

If it's a lot of books, maybe post a few at a time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
6 comics.

32 scans of the books plus I wouldn't know where to start with adding images to here. Mostly hoping people with a good honest serous opinion that knows ehat he/she is talking about so thought emailing would be ideal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Mickee92 It is really easy to post your photos here. People do it all the time looking for advice. The guys here are not shy and would love to critique your books.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post
Nm98= 9.2
DC 26= 9.0
NTT 2=9.4
N.G 7=9.4
Asm 1= 8.5
Asm 300= 9.0

It was tough on the clarity of some of the photos and not seeing the interiors. I hope my opinion helps.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
NM#98 VF 8 Color breaking corner creases. 2nd fold on BRC looks a little weird, 2nd picture, that makes it look like color touch up. TLC on back cover has a slight color breaking crease on the corner.
DCP #26 F/VF 7 General wear on the book brings down this book.
NTT #2 VF 8 Flash's left arm looks to have some color scraped off.
New Gods #7 NM- 9 Nice book.
Spiderman #1 F/VF 7 Back cover shows a lot of color breaking creases. Hard to tell on the spine if there are any creases, but there are multiple creases in the publisher box in the top left corner of the book.
ASM #300 VF- 7.5 Multiple color breaking creases on the spine. Multiple creases on the back of the book with some surface wear on the left edge.

Cool pence copies on the DC books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
NM98 = 8.0
DCP26 = 6.5/7.0
NTT2 = 8.0
NG7 = 8.5
SM1 = 6.5/7.0
ASM300 = 7.5
Post 13 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips Maybe I should have looked closer from my computer instead of my smartphone.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Wow thanks for the honesty.

See I bout most of these with the impression that they were NM copies. And following the cbcs grading:

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades

Theh all seem to have added up apart from the SM1 which to be fair was my first comic.

Now the slight colour breaking creases and slight spine wear to me didn't seem a problem going by this:

NEARMINT TO NEARMINT-9.4 TO 9.2

This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal.

It is vibrant with supple pages.
The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines that break color.
Minor creasing.
The spine is almost completely flat.
The cover is relatively flat with almost minimal surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity.
The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance.
The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white/white, but can be cream/off-white with the absence of other defects.

Didn't think they were anywhere near:

FINE7.0 TO 5.5

7.0 FINE / VERY FINE

6.5 FINE+

6.0 FINE

5.5 FINE–

This comic is definitely a read copy with handling wear, but can still be a very desirable copy.

This could have one major defect like a larger piece out of the cover, a long tear or a detached centerfold.
It has stress lines on the spine and creases from the opening and closing of the cover.
This could have a light reading or subscription crease or a rolled spine, but is not damaged enough to reduce eye appeal dramatically.
Some cover discoloration, fading in colors and soiling is allowed.
The cover and/or inside pages could have some tears and/or folds.
With the absence of many other defects, the cover can be detached from one staple, but cover cannot be completely detached from interior.
Books with slightly brittle pages cannot grade higher than 6.5 and generally are even lower in grade.
Pages and inside covers could be brownish but not brittle.
Depending on the look of the comic, very small amounts of tape could be acceptable in this grade.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
If these were my books, I wouldn't get any of them graded, unless you have some sort of sentimental attachment and just want to see them in a plastic case.
Post 16 IP   flag post
How come?

I would like to get some graded but the cost and the hassle getting them sent out is putting me off.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickee92
FINE7.0 TO 5.5

7.0 FINE / VERY FINE

6.5 FINE

6.0 FINE

5.5 FINE–

This comic is definitely a read copy with handling wear, but can still be a very desirable copy.

This could have one major defect like a larger piece out of the cover, a long tear or a detached centerfold.
It has stress lines on the spine and creases from the opening and closing of the cover.
This could have a light reading or subscription crease or a rolled spine, but is not damaged enough to reduce eye appeal dramatically.
Some cover discoloration, fading in colors and soiling is allowed.
The cover and/or inside pages could have some tears and/or folds.
With the absence of many other defects, the cover can be detached from one staple, but cover cannot be completely detached from interior.
Books with slightly brittle pages cannot grade higher than 6.5 and generally are even lower in grade.
Pages and inside covers could be brownish but not brittle.
Depending on the look of the comic, very small amounts of tape could be acceptable in this grade.

I didn't know that a book in FN condition can have a larger piece out of the cover. I rather have a book with an accumulation of defects that drops it into FN condition than to have a book that looks NM with a larger piece out of the cover.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yeah thats what made me think my comics above were higher than a 8.0 at least.

Not one of them above have major defects or pieces missing. Again the SM1 has that colour breaking dent on the back which I'd hope a press could remove the dent.

All the books with rolled spines can me pressed out? The staples are perfect and the creases down the spine on the asm300 isn't as bad as the what that image makes out and there is no colour breaks on the spine even though it may look like it. I think the NTT or DCP has white pages which should help with grading? In all honesty I thought the SM1 was the worst and the NG7 came after it.

I think I'll be putting all my comics away now for years to come and hope comics increase in Value has they have done... throw them in the loft ey
Post 19 IP   flag post
The ASM#300 is nice but there appears to be some surface wear on the bottom left edge on the back cover, right where the cover rolls over the interior pages. I can also see some color breaks on the spine that may just be because of the angle of the book, but there does seem to be some white showing in the black areas.

Also, the New Gods #7 may have some foxing on the spine which will bring the grading down some too.
Post 20 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I would also suggest getting a good scanner instead of taking smart phone pictures. Too much glare from the flash.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
How come?

I would like to get some graded but the cost and the hassle getting them sent out is putting me off.

The bolded part is a big reason why. The other reason would be you said you paid NM prices. If you're looking to sell these, you have to think about how much everything is going to cost and then how much your net profit would be. They're key books, but not in high grade, so if you didn't have much sunk into them already they might be worth getting graded, but I don't know how much you paid for them.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Yeah thats it and now from getting brought down to reality with these grade lets put it this way I feel embarrassed to discuss how much I've paid for them but may as well kick whilst already down

SM1 - £95

NM#98 - £140 (recently found out its a newsstand copy)

NG 7 - £150

DCP - £65

NTT - £95

ASM300 - £140
Post 23 IP   flag post
How did you aquire them? EBay, Auction site?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Unfortunately ebay.

Not too sure what the go to auction sites are?
Post 25 IP   flag post
ComicLink and Mycomicshop are two places that I've purchased from. Heritage is also pretty good but their buyer's fee kills it for me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Yeah thing is even on ebay buying comics from America are cheaper than the uk but you get charges and high postage costs.

So a comic that was for sale at £65 in the end cost me £95 from America.

Any uk auction sites?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see any NM books in the lot.

Quote:
Unfortunately ebay.

Not too sure what the go to auction sites are?

Not sure why it's EBay's Fault. I would suggest doing some research
and educating yourself on Grading skills.

If you know what you are doing Ebay is far and away better than any other Auction sites.

Mycomicshop is not a bad option, but I have gotten overgraded books from them as well.

It's all subjective, so finding a seller that meets your grading criteria is the most critical thing.

Good luck with your future purchases
Post 28 IP   flag post
No no I totally hold my hands up and say its my lack of experience and taking people's opinions on ebay.

But I did follow the cbcs guidelines and to me they are 9.0+ apart from the SM1.

Apparently going by this https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades

So this is apparently 9.4 - 9.2 and my answers to them:

• This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal. -- "thats why I bought them because they looked better thsn others"

• It is vibrant with supple pages. -- "yes in person the covers are brilliant and full of colour"

• The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines that break color.
Minor creasing. -- "yeah they do but not majorly"

• The spine is almost completely flat. -- "pretty much nothing a press cannot sort"

• The cover is relatively flat with almost minimal surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity. -- "No surface wear at all (minus sm1) only wear is the typical corner which is slight"

• The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance. -- "No discolouration in any of the staples at all"

• The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white/white, but can be cream/off-white with the absence of other defects. -- "off white yes 1 comic has white pages."

Will CGC be as scrutinising as yourselves? Obviously you guys are buying wanting nothing but the best which is understandable.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
No no I totally hold my hands up and say its my lack of experience and taking people's opinions on ebay. Who are the "people's opinions on ebay"? The sellers?

But I did follow the cbcs guidelines and to me they are 9.0+ apart from the SM1.

Apparently going by this https://www.cbcscomics.com/grades

So this is apparently 9.4 - 9.2 and my answers to them:

• This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal. -- "thats why I bought them because they looked better thsn others"

• It is vibrant with supple pages. -- "yes in person the covers are brilliant and full of colour"

• The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines that break color.
Minor creasing. -- "yeah they do but not majorly" Unfortunately, there are a lot of stress lines on your books and they're not very small.

• The spine is almost completely flat. -- "pretty much nothing a press cannot sort"

• The cover is relatively flat with almost minimal surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity. -- "No surface wear at all (minus sm1) only wear is the typical corner which is slight"

• The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance. -- "No discolouration in any of the staples at all"

• The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white/white, but can be cream/off-white with the absence of other defects. -- "off white yes 1 comic has white pages."

Will CGC be as scrutinising as yourselves? Obviously you guys are buying wanting nothing but the best which is understandable.

Okay, so you admit you don't have experience with grading. Just reading off the defects of a book in 9.2 - 9.4 book and comparing it to your book is not how it works. Grading is not just a checklist. It takes experience to know the difference between grades.
If you just started and these are the books you picked up then I suggest you pick up Overstreet's Grading Guide. It provides you pictures with allowable defects for each grade.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?