Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Modern AgeSignatures

Spawn Vault Edition (post your results here)4031

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
My preordered Spawn Vault Edition will be arriving from Amazon tomorrow, so I figured I would start a thread for all of us who have one coming in. As you know random books will include McFarlane goodies like a sketch. Let luck be will all of us...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
My lottery ticket came back with......Signature Only!!! no notarize, no sketch

Still really happy though, the art is fantastic!!! - had to sneak the book into the house - $235 CAD after exchange
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm still trying to figure out the point of the notarized version. I would have preferred more sketches.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 🎂🎉🎂
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Zombiebigfoot Thanks man! Let's just hope McFarlane has a gift for me as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
As an aside, those version don't even seem properly notarized. The stamp alone probably doesn't signify anything.

Anyway, I canceled my order. Love the artwork but not a huge enough Spawn fan, as much as I like McFarlane's work.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I wanted to get it for my birthday. but as I am laid off... I just can't afford it. They will more likely be completely sold out by the time I can afford it. Would love to have gotten one with a sketch.... but I already own 2 McFarlane pages including one from ASM 300 so I'm not super needing one of his pieces.... But I'd take it if I got it! lol.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I had to cancel my pre-order but hopefully I can re-order it soon
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
As an aside, those version don't even seem properly notarized. The stamp alone probably doesn't signify anything.

Anyway, I canceled my order. Love the artwork but not a huge enough Spawn fan, as much as I like McFarlane's work.

What's not proper? The notary guy was there in the video, has his log book, and he's a notary. That's all you need. A stamp, a pen, and your notary log book. Have you ever been a notary before, or known someone who is a notary?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke, correct me if I'm wrong but the notary didn't sign his own name or where the signature was witnessed, and there's no written recitation that McFarlane signed -- only a notary stamp. Tell me where that is acceptable.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Also, I'll refer to these sites, but I'm sure there are others:

https://nynotaryforyou.com/error.html

https://www.nationalnotary.org/notary-bulletin/blog/2015/08/avoid-common-notary-certificate-mistakes

With that said, maybe it's a Canadian thing? Thought McF lived there.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Also, I'll refer to these sites, but I'm sure there are others:

https://nynotaryforyou.com/error.html

https://www.nationalnotary.org/notary-bulletin/blog/2015/08/avoid-common-notary-certificate-mistakes

With that said, maybe it's a Canadian thing? Thought McF lived there.

he posted a video signing & motorized from his office in Phoenix.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Mine should be arriving soon. I'll report what I got. I hope that Todd ships a signature/sketch one to me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
First Look at Spawn Vault Edition

to me, i don't think its worth the price.

clickable text
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Everything in those links points to the Notary's log book. We didn't see or read the log book in the video McFarlane posted. I'm pretty sure he knows how to do it correctly.

Be that as it may, I've been seeing some of your books and some online so I decided to cancel the order. Not worth all the bs, especially after the whole Image blind box fiasco.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
First Look at Spawn Vault Edition

to me, i don't think its worth the price.

clickable text

I look at toy collectors and wonder why in world they spend the money that they spend because it came out of this studio or that one and is signed by this person or that one. Seems like a waste of money to me. However, I'm not gonna harsh their mellow by expressing that to them if they show me the latest figure they purchased. People find value in what they want to collect.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke, not looking to start something over nothing, but I would just reiterate that the notary must sign, stamp, put place of signing, and include an acknowledgement that the person who signed is indeed the person identified (an attestation clause).

If you have a mortgage document notarized, it's not just a stamp, and you never have the log book. That's the best example I can think of. In Todd's case, I think the notary is only stamping, with none of the other indicia of reliability (presumably because nobody would want the notary to sign their book).

But hey, neither of us bought the book! And the fact that he is including a stamp -- something different -- in some books may make those books more valuable anyway (I believe 1 out of every 6 books has the stamp). And the sketch (1 in 100) would ratchet the price sky high.

Now if he released a Hulk or Spidey book, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But I would imagine that it's all Marvel property now or he would at least have to kick much of the profit to Marvel. Probably not palatable to someone of McF's stature at this point, but fans would love the artwork. His runs on those books are some of my favorites.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Also, I don't want to hijack this thread. Would love to see snapshots of signatures and any other copies people have.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@jrs Similar books for Marvel are usually done by IDW under the Artist/Artifact Edition line and some have already featured some of Todd's art:

Post 19 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite, awesome. I have to look into this.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector 1nOnly private msg quote post Address this user
Got my book today, it is massive...

Post 21 IP   flag post
I like how it's on a Marvel Comics artboard.
Post 22 IP   flag post
The way he draws panels is just awesome. It does wonders for the movement of the story.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector 1nOnly private msg quote post Address this user
Ya, the book is pretty cool! Great to see all the original artwork in raw form. It's like the biggest (literally) Trade ever. Lol

Also the pages starting on issue 4 were on image pages with no mention of Marvel.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@1nOnly lol I love how these thpes of books reproduce the art boards at actual size which I think is 14" x 17".

The Miracleman Artifact edition was somewhat larger. Now that thing is impressive!

Post 25 IP   flag post
I just opened mine... no sketch It's a nice book though. I'm going to read and sell it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I just opened mine... no sketch It's a nice book though. I'm going to read and sell it.

Was it through Amazon or B&N?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Amazon
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Amazon

B&N shipped their copies after Amazon. I'll let ya know if mine is any different. Getting one of the 10 with a sketch out of 1000 books in like winning a mini lottery.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
@kaptainmyke, not looking to start something over nothing, but I would just reiterate that the notary must sign, stamp, put place of signing, and include an acknowledgement that the person who signed is indeed the person identified (an attestation clause).

If you have a mortgage document notarized, it's not just a stamp, and you never have the log book. That's the best example I can think of. In Todd's case, I think the notary is only stamping, with none of the other indicia of reliability (presumably because nobody would want the notary to sign their book).

Post 30 IP   flag post
601246 75 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?