Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgePop Culture

29 Superheroes Who Have Killed People4029

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
http://m.ranker.com/list/superheroes-who-killed-people/ranker-comics

Soooo...i was thinking.....how many suerheroes actually commit murder.

Well, here is a list of many accidents happening.

But Batman driving thugs off the cliff....that could be pretty close.

What does the community think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't have Hawkeye killing Banner on it?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Supes killed Kryptonian villains in a pocket universe, had a mental breakdown from it and became Gangbuster.
Don't forget the Spectre, ---- who had the chance to kill Joker, but wouldn't because Joker is not in his right mind. ( oh, the irony!!)
Does Lex count, since he is a member of the J.L.A. and killed Richard Grayson.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Where was Ozymandias killing The Comedian? Or better yet, Dr. Manhattan killing Rorshach?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Since some of these are presumed or "killed as a result of a related action or lack of action" how about Jason Todd as robin presumably pushing a criminal offa high rise to their death?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite murderous hero!

Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

If that isn't murder by MiracleMan, then I'm not sure on what to call it....."assisted suicide"?....but clearly, the bullet didn't come from the right.....hmmmm....

How "super" are these heroes in truth?

"Blame everything but yourself"......HUH?

"Robin...what happened?......was he pushed?"

Clearly......there are many more in comics than the site I referenced.

Good job everyone.....

So.....are superheroes, really all that super if they think collateral damage is okay to have?

As my DC poster states very clearly....

"....and EVIL will inherit the Earth!"

It seems it has changed the good guys...into ?not so good guys"....huh?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks There is no bullet.

I'm not so quick to condemn a hero for killing someone as the Punisher explains:

Sure the Punisher reorts to it too often to be called a "hero" but

I guess I don't think killing is necessarily unheroic. After all, what is more heroic, keeping your hands clean by capturing evil that will surely escape and harm or kill others again? Or sacrificing that part of yourself to ensure that that evil does not harm others in the future? I don't think you can really choose one and say one is absolute good and fortunately for most of us, it's not a choice we'll ever have to make but it is something we can ponder through this medium of comics.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Okay....some folks seem to think "anti-Heros" are super heroes.....in a way they are, but in many ways they are not.

The Punisher, IMO, is an anti-hero.

Okay....let's clarify the original post.....

Which Superheroes have committed murder in the progress of the mission to "save the city".

We all know the Green Arrow did.....but as the "Hood", he was a anti-hero (CW series).

The Green Arrow vowed to not kill aas the Green Arrow.

Okay....just one example.

For me...I've seen more anti-hero killing through Marvel books, than I do with DC. And those are the lines I'm onlyu referring to....because we know Indie comics have a different play on this.

I know this may be off-topic....but I'll give it a go with some "Hero/anti-hero" references I think exist....

Spider-man - hero
Superman - hero
Batman - anti-hero in manyh ways, but does try very hard to keep people alive.
Wonder Woman - hero
Wolverine - anti-hero turned hero - because of his actions and results prior to the X-Men
Punisher - anti-hero
Daredevil - hero & anti-hero - except when he serves "justice" on those who seem to avoid justice.

Bottom-line to me.....not all heroes are as "warm and fuzzy" and they portray.

Shoot....Batman has a line on all the JLA team memebers, just so he feels safe in knowing he can defeat them if needed.....sounds ominouos, huh?

:o)

Better?
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Not to split hairs, but murder and killing are referenced as two different things. If I kill someone in self-defense or in the defense of another in a life-threatening situation, it does not have the same legal or moral consequences as murder. This dilemma was played out in the Superman movie where Superman had to make a (justifiable) moral choice in order to save the world. In this situation, whether he wanted to or not, he became a combatant in a war, where in this case, killing Zod is justified and not deemed murder. Did he break his moral code about killing, maybe not?
(Any lawyers on here that would like to chime in on this, please do to help make the distinction.)
Post 12 IP   flag post
On a lighter note, here's my two favorite Punisher panels where he shows he's not always a cold killer and has some heart and a sense of humor (in a twisted sort of way, lol).

Post 13 IP   flag post
Post 14 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Exactly, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Not to split hairs, but murder and killing are referenced as two different things. If I kill someone in self-defense or in the defense of another in a life-threatening situation, it does not have the same legal or moral consequences as murder. This dilemma was played out in the Superman movie where Superman had to make a (justifiable) moral choice in order to save the world. In this situation, whether he wanted to or not, he became a combatant in a war, where in this case, killing Zod is justified and not deemed murder. Did he break his moral code about killing, maybe not?
(Any lawyers on here that would like to chime in on this, please do to help make the distinction.)

My sentiments exactly, Foghorn.

There is a difference. So "accidents" can happen often in books, just like thru self-defense.....but where can we find an actual "murder"...?

Did Robin PUSH someone off the rail?

Where is that line drawn?
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Fact of life #4:

Some people just need to be murdered, or killed. ESPECIALLY in fictional stories.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Fact of life #4:

Some people just need to be murdered, or killed. ESPECIALLY in fictional stories.

I've been sayin this for years😂
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Fact of life #4:

I agree...thanks c.f..
Post 19 IP   flag post
....but c.f.....remember...we are talking about if superheroes murder.

I think there are.....and thus either make them anti-heroes or villains in disguise.

They say they help, but rrally? Batman could have swung in to save the guy fslling, but....oooooo....he decided to swing the other way. FAIL.

But it couldn't/wouldn't make for a better story.....Sooo...."let him drop!"

Buh-bye waves The Batman....

Damn Bats is clevererly devious......League of Assassins devious.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks

Actually, I think you're the only one talking about it in such limited terms.

Murder is the unlawful killing of another person without justification or valid excuse. Almost by definition, no heroes aren't murderers (even antiheroes are still heroes) as the definition of heroism means an embodiment of some shared values and murder is almost universally frowned upon.

That does not mean a hero (super or otherwise) can't also kill, which is a far more fertile ground to discuss and explore. When is it right to kill? Is failing to save someone the same as killing them? These are questions where the answers are numerous, contradictory, but equally valid and justifiable.

Wheras whether a hero can commit murder is a far less interesting conversation.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting that Batman could've saved the falling man. The two aren't even in the same frame. We know Batman saw the man fall but he could have done so while being too far away to help. Yes it makes for a better story that he confront Robin and leaves the uncertainty of what really happened but that doesn't mean that Batman let the man fall himself.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I think you're the only one talking about it in such limited terms.

Murder is the unlawful killing of another person without justification or valid excuse. Almost by definition, no heroes aren't murderers (even antiheroes are still heroes) as the definition of heroism means an embodiment of some shared values and murder is almost universally frowned upon.

That does not mean a hero (super or otherwise) can't also kill, which is a far more fertile ground to discuss and explore. When is it right to kill? Is failing to save someone the same as killing them? These are questions where the answers are numerous, contradictory, but equally valid and justifiable.

Wheras whether a hero can commit murder is a far less interesting conversation.

OK,stop me if you've heard this one:
the Joker walks into a bar
a guy panics & shoots him dead as he comes in, doing nothing but entering the room.
Should the guy go to jail for cold blooded murder?
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
OK, stop me if you've heard this one:
Kim Jong Un walks into a bar.
A Korean-American who escaped from North Korea, shoots him dead as he comes in, doing nothing but entering the room.
Should the guy go to jail for cold blooded murder?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@det_tobor I've heard that one before. And the answer is no, he should not go to jail for murder. He may, however, be criminally liable for manslaughter
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I think there are.....and thus either make them anti-heroes or villains in disguise.

They say they help, but rrally? Batman could have swung in to save the guy fslling, but....oooooo....he decided to swing the other way. FAIL.

Batman could have swung either way?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
@det_tobor I've heard that one before. And the answer is no, he should not go to jail for murder. He may, however, be criminally liable for manslaughter

Thanks for the lesson..voluntary manslaughter would do it. Do you think he would be found guilty? And reversing that, Batman walks into a bar doing nothing else. A henchman shoots him out of pure fear because he is so scared of Batman because of his reputation of striking fear. Would the same hold true for him?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Batman could have swung either way?

...and you guys think I am taking this too serious?...or limiting my responses?.....now you know why.

Perception is soemthing we all utilize.....in both odd and straight forward ways.

"Batman could have swung either way".....LOL.....my mind slipped into the gutter for a moment....sorry.

But yes....he could have tried to "at least" save the falling guy....or in the least....made an attempt. But clearly he didn't.

Now back to the first post I made...."What does the community think?"

This isn't about my views....even though I make them....it was for an open discussion. Rational discussion that includes many sides.

We all have our perceptions on how "super" a hero can be.

Shoot....my heroes are those who died on Flight 93....those individuals knew they were going to die, but instead, chose to sacrifice themselves in order to possibly save many hundreds.....if that plane was actually able to make it to LAX.

Soooo....just so everyone understands.....my view of a superhero is one that does not kill....but tries to save people. If killing someone in the process was the result of saving someone, then it can be classified as an accident, self-defense, a "necessity"?, etc.....many terms can be used and many versions of those terms can be said. to justify the term being used. We are talking about fictional characters.

This has been just an open discussion, and I appreciate everyone's passion towards those heroes you align with.

Shoot - my favorite characters are Batman, Pitt, Ironman, and others.....but I also like the villians - Doomsday, Bizarro Supes, Joker, Brainiac, Doc Ock, Rhino, Magneto, etc.

But it isn't about who kills who.....I could care less.....I just thought it might be a different look at these characters that hasn't been discussed.

Cheers to all and for all the responses.....keep 'em coming.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@det_tobor If the indisputable facts of the case were as you put them, then it seems like a texbook case. However, such cases you have to prove state of mind and that he had no malicious intent, which is usually difficult to in practice.

The thing about the law is that it should apply the same standards without caring who you are. So in your second case, all-else being equal, the law should apply the same way. That said, the application of the law is done by emotional, imperfect individuals (aka humans) and once again, proving state of mind would be difficult.

That said, being found guilty of a lesser crime (or even innocent of that crime) does not absolve one of all the other crimes he may have committed. And being a criminal may cloud things for a jury so proving that the shooting was accidental or unintended when they have a proven history of malicious behavior would be difficult.

Of course, I may be wrong. I'm not a lawyer so don't take any of this as legal advice but let's not turn this into a legal discussion, as it's full of technicalities, precedent, etc that can apply to a case and similar cases may have reached a different verdict. The criminal may get a deal for providing information on bigger criminals, etc. And let's not forget that most cases are resolved by plea bargain.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite, does that mean having Bruce Wayne in such a jury would make it easier or harder? same with Clark Kent, investigative reporter?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@det_tobor I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Each juror brings with them their own life experience and whatever tenacity or attention to detail they might have.

Jurors are expected to be impartial and to decide based solely on the facts presented in court, keep their deliberations in strict confidence, and certainly not conduct their own investigation.

If their alter-egos were somehow involved in apprehending (or absolving) the criminal, they'd be morally obligated to recuse themselves from the case in order for the accused to receive a fair trial.

Once again, I'm not interested in a legal discussion so this will be the last I'll be responding about the subject.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598061 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?