Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Case Swap video Real?3983

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan this conversation isn't about CGC.
Post 126 IP   flag post
I have all my original label slabs with the heat seal, it's not a new process. But half my new labels nothing, more of them with barely touching heat seals. There is a huge problem in the slabbing process and it's a new problem.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
There is obviously a problem, more than half of my new label slabs have no heat seal on the labels like they are supposed to.

Same, just looked at 10 new slabs cbcs grades within the last 4 months. only 1 of the 10 were sealed on both sides, and the other 9 had very little sealing, like 1-2mm.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Well my old label reholder plan is now on hold. I'm not going to give up a secure heat sealed label in exchange for an unknown product. Get the QC in line CBCS.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Now the new video has gone poof. WTF?
Post 130 IP   flag post

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The video doesn't seem to last long. No matter which video

The fix to the labels seems fairly new. A CBCS graded Preacher 1 I purchased on eBay a month ago has the seal up into the bottom of the label. But I don't know HOW new.

The CGC portion of the conversation is appropriate, since it is a CGC signature facilitator posting this (and then taking it down) I mean suddenly he's all concerned about tampering? When the company he's been working for had a much easier to tamper with case?

What is no doubt going on is people are asking him to get signatures and send to CBCS. But he can't - because CGC doesn't allow that. So now it's him doing the right thing because of quality concerns.

When you allow other people - people with their OWN profit oriented agenda - to create panic and alarm in your mind that isn't actually warranted then well.... you know what label fits that. Don't be a tool.

I purchase a lot of slabbed books. Thousands over the years? I've had one that was tampered with. A CGC old label. There is always room for improvement. But there is no reason to over react here.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an idea, CBCS could add a heat imprinted logo on to the inner well bag, over the label that would not only bond all layers together, but add a unique element to their slab presentation over CGC. Similar to a notary stamp on a piece of paper. It could even be placed over the current, shiny logo.

Just brainstorming here...
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineCOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
My original labels are actually very noticeable with the heat seal going into them, none of my newer labels were sealed nearly as well.

Which means that the dirtbag who made this video either would have had to search the internets for two "error" slabs of the same book in order to make this happen, or he cut into the inner well more than implied and didnt show closeups for that reason.

Wth.

There is no reason to attack the character of a person whom you've. likely, never met, since you do not reference him by name. Let's elevate ourselves to a higher level of integrity. If this situation has already been addressed by CBCS, great (which, I believe they have). If not, then here is the opportunity to do so. But personal attacks made towards someone who is not even here to defend himself doesn't seem appropriate. Let's stay classy

+1
Post 133 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
On an entirely unrelated note, I love Spect. Spiderman #1. Such a great book.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
A friend said it best to me an hour ago.
"I just want to enjoy comics".
Post 135 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I will say on the older labels you didn't even have to cut the top with a razor. You could slide a butter knife on the top and bottom seams where the label was then pull it out nice and easy. Swapping labels on books is something that could happen almost undetected. I will say I'm not too worried about it as I wasn't too concerned with it on the old CGC slabs either. I sure when money is involved the system will be tested and abused but I'm not seeing label swapping as a major problem with either company.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Quote:
I have all my original label slabs with the heat seal, it's not a new process.

@IronMan Which part of the above quote do you have trouble understanding? Let me know, I really want to help out here.

Also, I can't figure out why the letters "CGC" keep appearing in the thread. Maybe someone can help me out with that?
Post 137 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ch
new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPunTy9R-g

Its removed already?
Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ch
new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPunTy9R-g

Its removed already?

Riveting isn't it?
Post 139 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I have all my original label slabs with the heat seal, it's not a new process.

@IronMan Which part of the above quote do you have trouble understanding? Let me know, I really want to help out here.

Also, I can't figure out why the letters "CGC" keep appearing in the thread. Maybe someone can help me out with that?
Because label swapping was a concern with old label CGC slabs people could break the posts swap the label and glue the posts back down. If it was done carefully it would be hard to detect.
Post 140 IP   flag post
@JWKyle Yes, but not relevant to the current problem of CBCS labels not actually getting a now advertised security feature. Which they specifically brought up to address today's events. CGC related ancient history is serving no purpose but a distraction from the problem.
Post 141 IP   flag post
I don't feel like going through my slabbed books looking at labels. I do have six labels from CPR's waiting that I have never gotten around to sending to CBCS. These are "original" labels. Not the current label, not the label with rivets most people disliked.

Of those seven labels, two have no heat seals going up into the bottom of the label. Two have it on just one side, and three have long, solid seals going well into the label. Farther than what I pictured with the Spectacular Spider-Man 1.

So it would appear that based on the ones I'm looking at and other's observations this heat sealing at the bottom of the label was something CBCS adopted early on. And is something that hasn't always been consistently applied. A QC issue.
Post 142 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
ah, I was hoping to see it...DarthLego, I tend to agree with you, the security of the CGC holder is a separate issue...those cgc books don't concern me...what does concern me is the integrity and validity of a few golden age books I have graded with cbcs...that there may possibly be the perception of those books being compromised...and if I should ever decide to sell them, their marketability will be impacted. Hopefully problem gets resolved quickly.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I don't feel like going through my slabbed books looking at labels. I do have six labels from CPR's waiting that I have never gotten around to sending to CBCS. These are "original" labels. Not the current label, not the label with rivets most people disliked.

Of those seven labels, two have no heat seals going up into the bottom of the label. Two have it on just one side, and three have long, solid seals going well into the label. Farther than what I pictured with the Spectacular Spider-Man 1.

So it would appear that based on the ones I'm looking at and other's observations this heat sealing at the bottom of the label was something CBCS adopted early on. And is something that hasn't always been consistently applied. A QC issue.

Thank You, that's what I'm trying to get at.
Post 144 IP   flag post

This pictured slab is from June 2017, no heat seal touches either side of the label.
Post 145 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If that's true, he shouldn't even be aware of any of this.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Quote:
@JWKyle Yes, but not relevant to the current problem of CBCS labels not actually getting a now advertised security feature. Which they specifically brought up to address today's events. CGC related ancient history is serving no purpose but a distraction from the problem.
@DarthLego I'm not disagree with you on the label swapping being an issue. I'm also concerned about that missed restoration in the other thread too. I would like CBCS to address BOTHof these issues. What I'm not saying is CBCS needs to scrap the current slab and try something else. I for one am all for a process that seals the sides. I hated the fact that the sides were open on old CGC slabs and I hate the fact they're open on CBCS slabs. I may burn in hell for this comment but one thing I like about the new CGC slab is it's sealed on the sides.
Post 147 IP   flag post
@JWKyle My concern is, CBCS might not have even been aware slabs like this were getting out the door. If this shines a light on a problem in Slabbing/QC they didn't know about then it is worth the effort, so they can address it and fix it.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:

I actually tend to agree as well. Except we need not lose sight of the fact that the person that is posting this video is virtually acting like a sniper. A sniper working for CGC. He posts up a video that makes CBCS look bad. Then pulls it down when the questions get pointed.

Then he posts up another video - and takes it down literally in minutes. I've used Torrey as a facilitator. NEW and OLD CGC cases. Just a few weeks ago for sigs at SDCC. He didn't express any concerns about CGC's old leaky slabs back in 2014. Or 2015. But now he's concerned about the slabs of a company he can't even witness for. When witnessing is how he pays the bills. And since I've done business with him as little as three weeks go, I emailed him. Politely. And have gotten no response. Maybe he's busy. I don't check my email every four hours. MAYBE as Darth says it doesn't really matter.

But if you wanted to create some sort of viral anti CBCS thing, this would be the way... Shoot and run. Answer no questions. So it FEELS like it matters. At least some.

When I was a kid, TV westerns were a big thing. Just like superhero shows are now. Bonanza, the Big Valley. Gunsmoke, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Wagon Train, Rawhide, the Rifleman. There was a Western on pretty much every night my entire childhood.

One the really common plot lines went along these lines. 3-4 strangers ride into town. One by one the drift into the saloon. In the saloon is your usual mix of townspeople. The ranchers, the farmers, the sheep herders. Now for those of you that didn't grow up watching westerns, understand all of those groups didn't much like each other and it was an uneasy truce at the only place to get buy a drink and talk to the saloon gals.

So those strangers - each one sits with a group - and starts talking trash about the other groups. Farmers fence of the land. Cattle and sheep destroy crops. Sheep graze to close and kill the grass.

Then a farmer walks by and one of the strangers trips him into a table full of ranchers. Another stranger shoves a sheep herder into the farmers table. A brawl breaks out. The piano player or a saloon girl runs down the street to get the sheriff.

And while all this goes on, the three strangers go rob the town bank and ride out of town. Everyone in the bar thought they had good reasons to fight. But the ONLY reason they were fighting that day at that bar was because other people provoked it. For their own reasons.

So let's not lose sight of the fact that there might be some other reason why this video just now appears and this concern is just now a concern. When the person bringing up the concern SHOULD HAVE been concerned for a decade or more.
Post 149 IP   flag post
@IronMan The poster of the video is not relevant to CBCS having a QC problem on this security feature we just found out about because CBCS used it as a tool to ease people's minds about said irrelevant video.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:
@JWKyle My concern is, CBCS might not have even been aware slabs like this were getting out the door. If this shines a light on a problem in Slabbing/QC they didn't know about then it is worth the effort, so they can address it and fix it.
I would think they are aware now. Let's see how it's handled.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Well ive learned in life that nothing is ever tamper proof or hack proof. A good crook will always find a way no matter the security system or what not. I remember being told the chip cards had an 80% or higher chance of never being hacked as was the case in europe. But low and behold we now have the chip cards and mine was compromised before i even activated it. I know of others that have had theirs hacked or compromised as well. So nothing is ever 100%
Post 152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Well ive learned in life that nothing is ever tamper proof or hack proof. A good crook will always find a way no matter the security system or what not. I remember being told the chip cards had an 80% or higher chance of never being hacked as was the case in europe. But low and behold we now have the chip cards and mine was compromised before i even activated it. I know of others that have had theirs hacked or compromised as well. So nothing is ever 100%

Exactly. They counterfeit money - which the US Bureau of Engraving and printing spent millions incorporating anti-counterfeiting technologies into.

Slabbing isn't perfect, it's just better. CGC's case is (now) more tamper resistant. I would go so far as to even say tamper proof. But has other flaws a direct result of making it so. Newton rings are ugly and can't be gotten rid of now. If you want to unslab a new Gen 2 CGC case it's actually a challenge to do so without damaging the book.

But maybe CBCS can find the ideal balance here. Get that inner label consistently sealed in such a way that it is impossible to remove it without tearing it. Or maybe as someone suggested the safety seals on the slab. Because taking all things into account, tamper evident might be better than tamper proof.
Post 153 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I actually tend to agree as well. Except we need not lose sight of the fact that the person that is posting this video is virtually acting like a sniper. A sniper working for CGC. He posts up a video that makes CBCS look bad. Then pulls it down when the questions get pointed.

Then he posts up another video - and takes it down literally in minutes.

+1

I snipe. In video games and on ebay. This is very very true This is a clickbait maneuver beucase guess what - they are ALL reading this right now. omg, they are reading what I'm typing right now - Stop. Just stop reading what I type. ARGGGGGG
Post 154 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:

If that's true, he shouldn't even be aware of any of this.

When I think about it, I was the happiest when I had my raw Bronze Age X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four in long boxes. Graded books are a pain in the ass.
Post 155 IP   flag post
600885 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.