Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Case Swap video Real?3983

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I don't own a PeeGeeXus either...that fact might change #soon...beware the List CyBerCerberuS.
Post 326 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user

Post 327 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@shrewbeer I don't own a PeeGeeXus either...that fact might change #soon...beware the List CyBerCerberuS.

CBCS could come on here and flat out tell us all to fk-off, and I still wouldnt ever buy one of those 🤢
Post 328 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Yeah, it's supposed to be a lot more prominent than that though.

Yes... They should just run the heat seal all the way from top to bottom of label. Seems like from a QC perspective, that would be easier than specifying an exact distance.

What sucks is Peegeexes already do this (from looking at pics, I dont actually own one)

Even a broken clock is right 2x a day

PGX's slab has always been comparable to the competitions. It LOOKS Like they run that seal along the edges. However, my own experience is as often than not more appearance than an actual seal against the paper. Sometimes it clings tight, sometimes it's just an appearance.
Post 329 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Are people just trying to see how long they can keep this thread alive? I think all views have been stated. It just looks like idle debate now whereby there is no resolution to be found. Until CBCS chimes in, this is all academic. Just saying.
Post 330 IP   flag post

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexigore
Are people just trying to see how long they can keep this thread alive? I think all views have been stated. It just looks like idle debate now whereby there is no resolution to be found. Until CBCS chimes in, this is all academic. Just saying.

Are you new to comic discussion boards?
Post 331 IP   flag post
@Hexigore Oh this thread isn't falling off the front page any time #soon. I guarantee you that.
Post 332 IP   flag post
666 more posts until Archived Morty!
Post 333 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Ew. That's a disturbing picture.
Post 334 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
And I think this needs to be said again, at the risk of the eye-rolls and memes from the peanut gallery:

There's no need to panic. You are your own best ally against fraud attempted against you, by learning how to grade for yourself.

Yes, it's tough to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 sometimes. And yes, it's even tougher to tell the difference between a 6.0 and a 7.0.

And yes, there is still the very serious issue of restored books swapped out with unrestored labels, in the same grade. Those are, by nature, almost always impossible to tell just from examination of the case, and for that alone, this issue must be addressed.

But you can prevent the "low hanging fruit" of someone swapping a 9.2 for a 9.8 almost all of the time, just by learning how to grade.

If you learn to trust your own eyes, you won't have to rely on other people telling you what the grade should be. You can, instead, agree with them, which is the far superior position to be in. You need not become an expert; anyone can learn to grade well enough to prevent much fraud if they just spend some time looking at a lot of different books in a lot of different slabs, and studying the various grading guides that exist.

You can be your own best ally in fraud prevention.

We all know this hobby of ours can be quite addicting and time consuming, but I don't think you are addressing the needs of the casual collector. I think you're right that it's not hard to become a proficient eye ball grader, however, not everyone spends their day on a comic grading forum or reading the Overstreet Grading Guide. Some people just want to buy slabbed comics because they look nice and they TRUST that the grading companies are providing an accurately graded and secure product so they don't have to spend their time learning the minute specifics of grading. I understand your point but not everyone is as gung-ho about eye ball grading and inspecting comics as you are.

You've alluded to it yourself, I'm not a good eyeball grader and though I've only been doing this for a few years I like to think I can tell the difference between a low/mid/high grade comic but I'm not going to get into the weeds between a 9.6 and 9.8, that's what CBCS is for. I enjoy buying slabbed comics because it's suppose to do all the heavy lifting for me. If it's come to the point where I have to double check the work and question the QC of professionals to verify the authenticity and grade of my comic, then why am I paying to get it slabbed at all? CBCS should have designed their cases from the beginning assuming people suck and would attempt to tamper with them for their own gain.

Also, gov computers hate this forum. Non-stop crashing.

edit: crashing deleted part of a sentence in the 2nd paragraph, bolded that extra bit if you already read the post.
Post 335 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Hexigore Oh this thread isn't falling off the front page any time #soon. I guarantee you that.

It's so confusing as to when it's okay to post all you feel is necessary, and when you have to "just drop it".

Unless it's more "who" than "when".

#doublestandard

Carry on, good sir
Post 336 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I dont think this is nearly a "stop the presses" type problem though

No kidding. Not when there are literally millions of graded books from the cgc that have exactly the same issue, if not worse.

Quote:
CGC is irrelevant. This conversation is not about CGC.
Post 337 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
#doublestandard

Tell us how you really feel. Or is this not the proper... forum for that.

I know you got some opinions!
Post 338 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Quote:
And I think this needs to be said again, at the risk of the eye-rolls and memes from the peanut gallery:

There's no need to panic. You are your own best ally against fraud attempted against you, by learning how to grade for yourself.

Yes, it's tough to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 sometimes. And yes, it's even tougher to tell the difference between a 6.0 and a 7.0.

And yes, there is still the very serious issue of restored books swapped out with unrestored labels, in the same grade. Those are, by nature, almost always impossible to tell just from examination of the case, and for that alone, this issue must be addressed.

But you can prevent the "low hanging fruit" of someone swapping a 9.2 for a 9.8 almost all of the time, just by learning how to grade.

If you learn to trust your own eyes, you won't have to rely on other people telling you what the grade should be. You can, instead, agree with them, which is the far superior position to be in. You need not become an expert; anyone can learn to grade well enough to prevent much fraud if they just spend some time looking at a lot of different books in a lot of different slabs, and studying the various grading guides that exist.

We all know this hobby of ours can be quite addicting and time consuming, but I don't think you are addressing the needs of the casual collector. I think you're right that it's not hard to become a proficient eye ball grader, however, not everyone spends their day on a comic grading forum or reading the Overstreet Grading Guide. Some people just want to buy slabbed comics because they look nice and they TRUST that the grading companies are providing an accurately graded and secure product so they don't have to spend their time learning the minute specifics of grading. I understand your point but not everyone is as gung-ho about eye ball grading and inspecting comics as you are.

You've alluded to it yourself, I'm not a good eyeball grader and though I've only been doing this for a few years I like to think I can tell the difference between a low/mid/high grade comic but I'm not going to get into the weeds between a 9.6 and 9.8, that's what CBCS is for. I enjoy buying slabbed comics because it's suppose to do all the heavy lifting for me. If it's come to the point where I have to double check the work and question the QC of professionals to verify the authenticity and grade of my comic, then why am I paying to get it slabbed at all? CBCS should have designed their cases from the beginning assuming people suck and would attempt to tamper with them for their own gain.

edit: crashing deleted part of a sentence in the 2nd paragraph, bolded that extra bit if you already read the post.

Did you read what I wrote? I get the sense that you didn't read what I wrote, or, if so, really absorb it.

Here's the pertinent parts, with added emphasis:

Quote:
Yes, it's tough to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 sometimes....But you can prevent the "low hanging fruit" of someone swapping a 9.2 for a 9.8 almost all of the time, just by learning how to grade.

and...

Quote:
You need not become an expert; anyone can learn to grade well enough to prevent much fraud if they just spend some time looking at a lot of different books in a lot of different slabs, and studying the various grading guides that exist.

If you are a proficient grader, no one is slipping a 9.2 disguised as a 9.8 past you, 99% of the time.

The advice is sound: if you have the time (and resources) to be spending money on these, you owe it to YOURSELF to learn what you can to protect yourself against fraud. If you don't have time to learn how to grade, you PROBABLY don't have time to spend significant amounts of money on slabs, OR you simply accept the risks involved (and there's nothing wrong with this latter approach, by the way.)

Are you really arguing AGAINST people becoming proficient (NOT EXPERT) graders...? Are you really arguing for people to blindly trust someone else's opinion, rather than coming to an agreement with them about it...?

You're making my point about people trusting much too heavily on a SUBJECTIVE OPINION. Doing so will almost certainly lead to harm, at some level, in some way.

As for "CBCS should have designed their cases from the beginning assuming people suck and would attempt to tamper with them for their own gain."...that's not fair to CBCS. They most certainly DID do this, but no one can possibly account for all the clever ways in which fraud can be committed.

The fact that it took three years for this to become public says something about their design. But it's just plain insulting to say that CBCS didn't design their cases with potential fraud in mind. Of course they did.
Post 339 IP   flag post
Collector MightyMutt private msg quote post Address this user
All this is to much, I'm going to go sit and rock in a corner sucking my thumb and humming Barney.
Post 340 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you read what I wrote? I get the sense that you didn't read what I wrote, or, if so, really absorb it.

Quote:
Yes, it's tough to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 sometimes....But you can prevent the "low hanging fruit" of someone swapping a 9.2 for a 9.8 almost all of the time, just by learning how to grade.

and...

Quote:
You need not become an expert; anyone can learn to grade well enough to prevent much fraud if they just spend some time looking at a lot of different books in a lot of different slabs, and studying the various grading guides that exist.

If you are a proficient grader, no one is slipping a 9.2 disguised as a 9.8 past you, 99% of the time.

The advice is sound: if you have the time (and resources) to be spending money on these, you owe it to YOURSELF to learn what you can to protect yourself against fraud. If you don't have time to learn how to grade, you PROBABLY don't have time to spend significant amounts of money on slabs, OR you simply accept the risks involved (and there's nothing wrong with this latter approach, by the way.)

Are you really arguing AGAINST people becoming proficient (NOT EXPERT) graders...? Are you really arguing for people to blindly trust someone else's opinion, rather than coming to an agreement with them about it...?

You're making my point about people trusting much too heavily on a SUBJECTIVE OPINION. Doing so will almost certainly lead to harm, at some level, in some way.

As for "CBCS should have designed their cases from the beginning assuming people suck and would attempt to tamper with them for their own gain."...that's not fair to CBCS. They most certainly DID do this, but no one can possibly account for all the clever ways in which fraud can be committed.

The fact that it took three years for this to become public says something about their design. But it's just plain insulting to say that CBCS didn't design their cases with potential fraud in mind. Of course they did.

Noted.
Post 341 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

and...

Quote:

Noted.

Indeed.
Post 342 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user

LOL
Post 343 IP   flag post

Post 344 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
#doublestandard

Post 345 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

LOL

Stealing this
Post 346 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

LOL

Stealing this
👍
Post 347 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
#doublestandard

Register to win.
Post 348 IP   flag post
But we understand.
Post 349 IP   flag post
Quote:
But we understand.

Quote:
You're using this board and its moderators as a shield. I'm sure they would prefer if you didn't, but I don't speak for them.

Talk about a double standard... I wonder why we can't discuss your guys opinions about CBCS on the CBCS forum?
Post 350 IP   flag post
By the way...as to why one would pay CBCS to grade a book, if you already know how to grade, the answer is this: to facilitate commerce.

Knowing how to grade only helps YOU. It doesn't help the stranger who doesn't know you.

The cold reality is that a book that is a 9.8 might sell for $100, and its ungraded counterpart...still a 9.8...is only worth $1.

Keeping that in mind, the most important aspect of third-party grading is the restoration check. That alone is worth the price of admission. Even skilled experts can miss restoration now and again. The chances of the grading company missing it, especially after an owner has inspected it, are really low. Then, of course, the grade itself.

Graded books...with some exceptions, which I'll get to...were never intended to be long-term storage solutions for comics. They were meant to facilitate trade. You don't know who I am, I don't know who you are...but we both trust CBCS to come up with a grade to which we'll both generally agree.

And those who say "OMG! You can't READ them if you slab them!" the solution is simple: open the case. Problem solved, and that argument has never been valid.

The exception, of course, is with the Sig Series, and the way it's set up, you're reasonably assured that what you're getting was actually signed by the creator that the case says it is, with slim (not none, but slim) chance of getting a counterfeit.

THAT is why one would pay a grading company.

If one likes the product for its display properties, that's fine, too...but that's not its main function.

(This is why the "grading companies" thread shouldn't have been locked, by the way.)
Post 351 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
But we understand.

Quote:
You're using this board and its moderators as a shield. I'm sure they would prefer if you didn't, but I don't speak for them.

Talk about a double standard... I wonder why we can't discuss your guys opinions about CBCS on the CBCS forum?

I'm not stopping you.
Post 352 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm not stopping you.

No, but you're not sharing your real opinions.

I can't do that for you. If you want people to be honest with you, you need to be honest with them.

#doublestandard
Post 353 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
But we understand.

Quote:

I've discussed my opinion about CBCS on the CBCS forum multiple times.

Here, I'll say it again: I support CBCS, and its place in the comic industry. I think CBCS is and has been desperately needed, because "functional monopolies" learn very quickly that they don't have to listen to customer criticism. CBCS has done wonders in this respect, and I fully support it continuing these efforts, while realistically acknowledging that no company is without fault, and despite marketing claims, doesn't have room for improvement.

Why are you trying to stir up trouble? It's Saturday...go to the park or something.
Post 354 IP   flag post
Quote:
I've discussed my opinion about CBCS on the CBCS forum multiple times.

Here, I'll say it again: I support CBCS, and its place in the comic industry. I think CBCS is and has been desperately needed, because "functional monopolies" learn very quickly that they don't have to listen to customer criticism. CBCS has done wonders in this respect, and I fully support it continuing these efforts, while realistically acknowledging that no company is without fault, and despite marketing claims, doesn't have room for improvement.

Why are you trying to stir up trouble? It's Saturday...go to the park or something.

There was a part you missed about the Mods of this board particularly... I feel like I've read something.
Post 355 IP   flag post
600891 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.