Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversQuestionsSignatures

Does Jim Lee still do con sketches?3926

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quick question: Does Jim Lee still do con sketches? If so, how much does he usually charge? Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I would assume he's too busy for con sketches. I met him a long time ago & he wasn't sketching back then.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Just seen a YouTube video of him doing one, so I'm thinking he does. Probably not as often as he used to.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think he does. Most of the sketches at cons are him showing people how to do sketches.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Just seen a YouTube video of him doing one, so I'm thinking he does. Probably not as often as he used to.

was it for an actual fan or one of his how to deals he does at his panels??
Post 5 IP   flag post
let me track it down
Post 6 IP   flag post
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was his How to Draw panel.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Lee no longer does convention sketches. Generally when he appears at a con, he may do a one hour signing which is generally a wristband-required event and you can get a few books signed. He stopped doing convention sketches years ago. Sometimes he may do a very quick head sketch but that is about it and sometimes it appears that it may be for the first person in line. He does do some panels on how to draw and generally he will reward someone in the audience with the finished piece. A few years ago at San Diego Comic-Con he had done fully inked pieces which were insanely beautiful and then had some of his staff randomly put them in people's bags as they walked around without noticing. I believe there are videos on YouTube of it. You can also find some of his original art pop up for auction on specialized auction websites that cater to comic books, but his pieces can fetch several thousands of dollars. You may luck out at a special private event and get a sketch from him, that is what happened to me last year, it was a small event after a con that was invite only and I was able to get him to do a sketch for me, so it is possible under the right setting, but ultimately the decision is his to make.
Post 9 IP   flag post
He also did a scavenger hunt like a year or 2 ago with sketches hidden at SDCC for fans to find. He had some sweet sketches too from what i saw posted on his FB prior to the con.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Wow, thank's for the info everyone. I'm considering buying a Jim Lee sketch, and I'll use this to determine what I'm willing to pay. I'll keep you posted!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I actually got a SWEET Punisher page of his from Punisher: War Journal run for free like 20+ years ago. There was a Windstorm promotion they did to get rid of a ton of card stuff they couldn't sell. They were selling these basketball card games & I think Windstorm stickers & if you purchased these sets you got a piece of his art. I got a Punisher piece. it's huge. I think it's like 14"x22" or something like that. I ended up selling the cards at a garage sale. lol.
Post 12 IP   flag post
No guts no glory...

Thanks to your input I just picked up this Jim Lee Vampirella sketch for $305. It was a bit pricey, but Jim Lee was my first favorite comic artist and Vampirella is my favorite character. Buy what you love!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga
NICE !
Post 14 IP   flag post
NICE!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
They can be had. You just need an insane amount of coin to make it happen.. (not mine btw)
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Nino_013 Damn, those are gorgeous!

I've only ever gotten an autograph from him in person and that was ages ago. He was super cool though. There was a huge line (as there always is) and the time for the signing was up so he just quickly walked down the line signing something for everyone there.

I got some stuff from the Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu game. The game itself was mediocre but they had Jim Lee create the title character, Sin Tzu, specifically for the game. One day, I'd like to get a commission done with Sin Tzu and Ra's al Ghul playing a game of chess with each piece representing a hero or villain in the Batman universe

Post 17 IP   flag post

This is the page I got from him. Just wish there was a promotion for free JSC art! I'm STILL waiting on the day i can get one...... Though at the moment it's just trying to find a way to find THE MONEY to get one!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I own a WIldCats page he did with Scott Williams.

Most of the sketches I have seen recently produced by Jim Lee at shows look personalized. I hope that doesn't get him on anyone's naughty list of creators.

Post 19 IP   flag post
@Sirtoddington Lucky duck!
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wow I love what I'm seeing in this thread. Jim Lee is great
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm glad I met him right after the Spider-Man 3 movie came out. I managed to get through his line twice that Saturday with hardly any sort of wait & he signed a TON of books for me! & thankfully he didn't charge at that time either1 lol
Post 22 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I never saw that Jim Lee vampirella
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I wish I never saw that Jim Lee vampirella

Does it make you want one? I know the feeling... I missed out on a fraking Dell'Otto Vampirella that went for like $360. I begged the seller to give me the buyer's info. I was going to throw crazy money at him, but the buyer was not willing to part with it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I want it.
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
598088 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?