Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Comic Handling - Protection3886

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have recommendations for the usage or avoidance of comic-safe gloves?
Material to look for?
Best brands?

Also...does that vary from condition to condition or age to age?

...Or is the wash your hands and be gentle method good enough in most cases these days?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
"avoidance of comic-safe gloves"?

What do you mean by that? Are you just looking for glove recommendations?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
latex gloves for that firm skid free grip

oh boy OOCT
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Bontchimuz private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, when I handle anything old ( i collect WW1 and WW2 documents and materials etc as well as comics) I want my hands to handle them as any type of glove removes "feeling" and has in the past caused me to bend or break paper by mistake.

Just wash your hands and dont worry about it is my advice....but yes, please wash your hands as the "oil" as some say can ruin a book FOR ETERNITY AND BEYOND!!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
"avoidance of comic-safe gloves"?

What do you mean by that? Are you just looking for glove recommendations?

As in which ones to avoid, like ones with materials that interact with comic paper, causing advancing deterioration, etc.

Plastic?
Latex?
Paper?

What is the safest options and worst options for raw book handling?
Perhaps @CBCS could chime in too?
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I've collected comics for over 30 years and I've never used gloves. Washing and thorough drying of hands is generally enough. Make sure that you don't handle comics with lotion on your hands as that can remove ink from the covers.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Same here, nothing wrong with a good ol wash and dry.

I rebagged a shortbox last weekend, did it twice. After a bit your hands will get oily again
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector MightyMutt private msg quote post Address this user
If u need to use gloves I do recomend the cloth photography ones. They are cheap and disposable
Post 8 IP   flag post
I have a couple pairs of white cotton gloves. They work pretty good.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Jakernaught private msg quote post Address this user
Wearing gloves is something people do In pictures to show how serious and professional they are when handling comics,therefore instilling confidence in your decision to entrust yours to them. Seems like you would be more likely to drop a book or bend a corner with those clunky gloves on. I wonder if anyone has ever dropped a tec 27 or action 1? Oh the humanity
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I wash my hands with dish soap and warm water, dry off real good and wait a few minutes. Then it's down to business.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Look on Amazon and/or eBay for "white cotton inspection gloves." Get a size larger than you think you need.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Jakernaught those gloves are very thin, so dexterity isn't an issue.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Besides washing your hands, so far the verdict is either cotton gloves or disposable cloth gloves.

Do you have brand recommendations or an Amazon link?

One person mentioned latex, is that used by anyone else?

What does CBCS use? Clean hands or gloves?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Just search amazon for cotton gloves. I think you might be thinking too much about it. Most collectors don't even bother with gloves, just make sure your hands are clean. If you are paranoid about fingerprints, get the gloves.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
I would hate to say it but yes I have used gloves before. I used them on my golden age and my expensive silver age comics. I used the outee brand on Amazon they are cotton and can still have some dexterity. I would just wash and dry your hands real well.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I would not use Latex, next thing you know one of the graders has a latex allergy and goes to the hospital all because of your Batman 227.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Bontchimuz private msg quote post Address this user
Is this actually a serious thread? lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bontchimuz
Is this actually a serious thread? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Just search amazon for cotton gloves. I think you might be thinking too much about it. Most collectors don't even bother with gloves, just make sure your hands are clean. If you are paranoid about fingerprints, get the gloves.

Lol yes it's a serious thread, but like I said I just wash my hands like most - I was interested to see what the community uses and to my surprise some do or have used gloves before. I was curious which gloves are actually applicable to comic inspection(if any). Cloth materials seem to be the safest and most sensitive, but ultimately consistent hand washing seems best.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Oh and if you are using gloves...avoid latex for allergies and thick gloves because you lose the necessary sensitivity to not accidentally damage the books.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector MightyMutt private msg quote post Address this user
I have used latex and ruined a book. It was cheap however the later seems to have a more grip feel on the comics. It actually ripped mine a little. That's when a photography friend recomended the thin cloth or disposable cotton gloves
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I use boxing gloves...
Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I wash my hands well before handling my books. My hands are usually very dry all the time. I have a relative whose hands are clammy and sweaty. We used to play pool all the time and he was always trying to keep his cue dry. So, I guess it could vary from person to person.
Post 24 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I always use gloves. Latex or vinyl.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I always use gloves. Latex or vinyl.

Interesting...

You are a professional when it comes to this stuff, so it seems there is a difference between the communities usage of gloves and yourself. Do you think CBCS also uses gloves during their pressing/grading services?

Now I imagine there is also a preference factor in play as some people may have never tried gloves before and always just use their bare hands, where some have tried gloves without success due to the dulling of sensitivity.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics

Do you use gloves no matter the situation? or only for high grade comics? and maybe only for professional practices? Like if you are looking at a modern comic that was printed 2 years ago, just bare hands I assume?

I'm just curious as to whether the comic book material/condition/age is a factor in whether or not you put them on.

How come Vinyl and Latex?
Have you tried other kinds before landing on these two?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Wash. Dawn is perfect for this. Wash as often as you handle them. Clean hands will work just fine. Any type of material over your hands causes you to lose sensation, and can lead to unintended damage.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I wear these when handling comics, helps me open the mylar bags faster.

Post 29 IP   flag post
With the invention of Nitrile I'm surprised that latex is even still in use. Latex can be a serious danger for some people.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?