Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Trouble making a trade with a CBCS Graded book3865

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnyonthespot - see if anyone on these forums will trade for your NM 87. That shop was definitely trying to screw you over. Find a better one.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnyonthespot private msg quote post Address this user
Nope
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnyonthespot He needs to get edumicated. Lol
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would almost guarantee you that the shop owner wouldn't sell the CBCS slab for less if he owned it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Any cgc slab I have in my collection I would be willing to trade it straight across for a cbcs slab in the same grade,page quality and wrapped the same. I wouldn't even care what generation of cbcs label it had rivets would be welcomed
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
I was at a con a few months ago and I saw a seller had a Secret Wars #8 9.6 CGC. He saw I was looking at it and asked if I was interested in it, I said no I already had a 9.8. Seller replied "Bullshit!" so I pulled the slab from my bag. Seller states "ya, but it's CBCS." As I walked away I yelled back "yea, and that one you have is a 9.4, MAX!".

People naturally assume that anything that's not considered "the original" is going to be inferior, and unfortunately CGC is basically seen as the original.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Any cgc slab I have in my collection I would be willing to trade it straight across for a cbcs slab in the same grade,page quality and wrapped the same. I wouldn't even care what generation of cbcs label it had rivets would be welcomed

I created a thread here trying to do that. Bumped it a few times. No takers 😞

I then created the same thread over on the CGC boards. They deleted it right quick 🤣

I even offered to pay shipping! Lol
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle

I created a thread here trying to do that. Bumped it a few times. No takers 😞

I then created the same thread over on the CGC boards. They deleted it right quick 🤣

I even offered to pay shipping! Lol

And that's why little by little I'm moving my CGC's out consigning them or on some regrading with CBCS and hoping the grade drop is not too drastic. But to be honest I would rather just sale the CGC stuff and buy replacement CBCS's. When I buy a CGC slab now I also factor in on my price is it worth it to me to switch it into a CBCS slab if the answer is no I'm not buying the CGC slab.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 34 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
I was at a con a few months ago and I saw a seller had a Secret Wars #8 9.6 CGC. He saw I was looking at it and asked if I was interested in it, I said no I already had a 9.8. Seller replied "Bullshit!" so I pulled the slab from my bag. Seller states "ya, but it's CBCS." As I walked away I yelled back "yea, and that one you have is a 9.4, MAX!".

People naturally assume that anything that's not considered "the original" is going to be inferior, and unfortunately CGC is basically seen as the original.

Why did he call bullshit? Secret Wars #8s in 9.8 are every where... CBCS or from the cgc.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Did you two compare your slabs side-by-side? Show him how superior the 9.8 CBCS was to the 9.6 CGC?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyonthespot
I was just at one of the shops trying to make a trade with my new mutants 87 graded 9.6 cbcs copy and the difference with cash for an amazing Spiderman 101 and he was only gonna give me 55 dollars in trade towards the book...and when I apparently looked very dissatisfied...he said now if it were a cgc 9.6 grade I'd be willing to do the 225 you asked for....what the? Can someone awnser me this please? And it's not the only time...just the most blatant.what is the difference...was he just being difficult..I take it back was everyone I dealt with just being difficult?

And why aren't you posting this on Ebay? Should easily get $225 in profit.

Check out this CBCS 9.6 copy sold TODAY!

clickable text

And this CGC copy that sold....TODAY!!!

clickable text
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I almost want to put it to the test. Get a 9.8 CBCS and then have a CGC with the same grade in my backpack.

I then want to offer him the same deal, and when he says "NOW, if that were a CGC book, I'd do it."

Then I'd pull it out of my bag and say, "well, you're in luck" - then see what he has to say.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I thought it's been done...at least in the reverse...with the CBCS grades being the same or coming back as 9.6's when the original CGC was 9.8.

The best would be if a 9.6 CBCS was graded 9.8 by CGC...that would blow some ignorant people's minds...
Post 39 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I thought it's been done...at least in the reverse...with the CBCS grades being the same or coming back as 9.6's when the original CGC was 9.8.

The best would be if a 9.6 CBCS was graded 9.8 by CGC...that would blow some ignorant people's minds...

We have a thread going tracking regrade data. So far 70% of CGC grades have stayed same from CBCS, 30% have changed, some lower, some higher, mostly lower.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Has anyone noticed if this is a local or regional thing?

Just kind of an ignorance thing. A lot of shops don't regard CBCS w/any esteem yet.

They are missing out, huh?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Was that like those commercials that shows a great feeling is like the feeling to drive a car around the the Indy500 track?

:o)
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Did you say " How about them apples" ?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

I don't doubt that it would, but it shouldn't.

Grading is subjective, and grades are opinions, not laws.

And, because of CBCS' standard of taking manufacturing flaws into account for 1980-up books, I have no doubt that many such books would grade 9.6 at CBCS, and 9.8 at CGC.

The goal is consistency. Overgrading or undergrading doesn't help anyone. Consistent grading is the key.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I will say a lot of people over at the CGC forum was complaining how CGC tightened up their grading. The 9.8 just weren't give me's any more. I don't really go to the boards over there anyone not sure if they're still saying the same thing. The problem with this is CGC has gone years giving out gift grades to books that should have been graded tighter. I'm not saying this was going on when Borock was their either, there's a reason a lot of slab collectors love the "old label goodness". I for one kind of treat my CBCS slabs like "OLG's" because guess what, that's what they are in all actuality.

I had a DC Comics Presents 26 in CGC 9.8. I had issues with this book it was sharp but had a non color breaking spine dent on the back cover. This book really bothered me. I bought a DCCP 26 CBCS 9.6 that is gorgeous. If you were to take both books out of the slabs and ask collectors which one they would rather have I would guaranty 10 out of 10 collector would have chosen the CBCS 9.6 over the CGC 9.8.

For dealers and collectors that have the CGC blinders on I'm A OK with that because guess what I collect books in slabs and most of the time a CBCS 8.5 is going to be better then a CGC 8.5. So I'm going to have a better looking and sharper book in my CBCS slab. Just wait until flipper figure out they can buy a CBCS slab and CPR it into constant grade bumps then see what the market thinks of CBCS slabs.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnyonthespot

I don't have an ASM 101, I did buy a collection of about 40 issues of ASM, in the low 100's to around 270. Most are in the 9.2 range and only 10 or so exceed #200.I also have a small amount of SA thru copper ASM books on eBay and more in my convention boxes.

The only 2 books I am pulling from that collection is the #194 and #265.

The collection, not including the #194 and #265, is probably worth upwards of $600, per Overstreet

When it comes to trading, I do not mind giving up a higher dollar value of raw books , if I am getting a raw key book or a slabbed book.

Basically, I'd give you that $400-600 in Overstreet value for your NM 87 slab.
Post 46 IP   flag post
600847 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?