Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Trouble making a trade with a CBCS Graded book3865

Collector Johnnyonthespot private msg quote post Address this user
I was just at one of the shops trying to make a trade with my new mutants 87 graded 9.6 cbcs copy and the difference with cash for an amazing Spiderman 101 and he was only gonna give me 55 dollars in trade towards the book...and when I apparently looked very dissatisfied...he said now if it were a cgc 9.6 grade I'd be willing to do the 225 you asked for....what the? Can someone awnser me this please? And it's not the only time...just the most blatant.what is the difference...was he just being difficult..I take it back was everyone I dealt with just being difficult?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I would never return to that shop.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
LOL sounds like someone has a bias!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yeah well I'd have to not return to multiple shops because it wasn't just this one about 3 out of the 5 I go to
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
What grade /grader / condition on the spiderman?a bit of people hold cgc as the best of the best.and he was probably trying to low-ball you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone noticed if this is a local or regional thing?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyonthespot
I was just at one of the shops trying to make a trade with my new mutants 87 graded 9.6 cbcs copy and the difference with cash for an amazing Spiderman 101 and he was only gonna give me 55 dollars in trade towards the book...and when I apparently looked very dissatisfied...he said now if it were a cgc 9.6 grade I'd be willing to do the 225 you asked for....what the? Can someone awnser me this please? And it's not the only time...just the most blatant.what is the difference...was he just being difficult..I take it back was everyone I dealt with just being difficult?

He was trying to take advantage of you, plain and simple.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@pacoma..he was asking 450 for 9.2 raw
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Has anyone noticed if this is a local or regional thing?

Just kind of an ignorance thing. A lot of shops don't regard CBCS w/any esteem yet.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of people dont know how horrendous PGX is.

A lot of people dont know that CBCS is better than CGC.

Doesnt make it ok.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyonthespot
I was just at one of the shops trying to make a trade with my new mutants 87 graded 9.6 cbcs copy and the difference with cash for an amazing Spiderman 101 and he was only gonna give me 55 dollars in trade towards the book...and when I apparently looked very dissatisfied...he said now if it were a cgc 9.6 grade I'd be willing to do the 225 you asked for....what the? Can someone awnser me this please? And it's not the only time...just the most blatant.what is the difference...was he just being difficult..I take it back was everyone I dealt with just being difficult?[/quote

@Johnnyonthespot, hate to be a stinker but it might be worth a one time investigation...send the NM, out of the slab, to CGC. IF they return it with the same grade then you have proof for your counterargument. If it comes back with a different grade, then there might need to be questions. good luck.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@det_tabor yeah I could do that but I don't want to wait 3 lifetimes to get it back graded
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
No, this is just a shyster shop owner doing what they do best. If you took in a CGC graded copy, he would tell you the same thing. He's just trying to distract you by playing one company off the other to get the best deal for himself. This is one of the oldest dealer tricks in the book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Would be a waste of time and money to get it graded by CGC.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Coke started in like 1886

Pepsi started in like 1893

Which do you prefer? Is it based on personal preference?

Is one truly better than the other? Or do they both have market share from consumers with different needs/values?

Are they the same price? Does one carry a premium over the other? If so, why?

Coke became publicly traded like 40 years before Pepsi. Why did this happen?

Coke/CGC started branding and establishing themselves in a market before there was great competition. Once competition came on the scene they ran an amazing branding campaign.

Pepsi/CBCS came in to the game late, and are still developing a place in the market. BUT they're moving up very fast, and the whole reason most of us are on these forums is that we've chosen their product over the other.

It's all personal preference!
Post 15 IP   flag post
LOL this is like someone saying I buy and sell old video games... BUT ONLY NINTENDO BECAUSE IT'S SUPERIOR!
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
...and just to make my point and call this shop owner's bluff, I'd like to see if he had a New Mutants 87 CGC 9.6 white pages and a New Mutants 87 CBCS 9.6 white pages side by side up on his wall, would he be asking different prices for them....I doubt it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
...and just to make my point and call this shop owner's bluff, I'd like to see if he had a New Mutants 87 CGC 9.6 white pages and a New Mutants 87 CBCS 9.6 white pages side by side up on his wall, would he be asking different prices for them....I doubt it.

Great idea, ask if he has any cbcs graded comics and offer 1/3 of the going price.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
I would never return to that shop.

This.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
Oh this is the same old discussion. A 9.x is a 9.x unless its a PGX then it probably a 9.0 And they are trying to take advantage of you. I would find another shop, I would give you at least 1/2 the price of the selling value and so would most of the LCS here.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What shop is this? I encourage anyone who is local to it to go inside, look at any CGC slab and ask how much. When the guy answers simply reply, "Now if this was in a CBCS slab I'd pay that." Then just walk out. He'll get the message.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Ridiculous.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Atakmunky7 private msg quote post Address this user
Ask him if he'd pay more if your book had Newton rings all over it!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Never return to that shop or any other that try's that kind of BS
Post 24 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
No, this is just a shyster shop owner doing what they do best. If you took in a CGC graded copy, he would tell you the same thing. He's just trying to distract you by playing one company off the other to get the best deal for himself. This is one of the oldest dealer tricks in the book.

@Foghorn_Sam You are right on point. Too bad @Johnnyonthespot didn't have a CGC copy to bring into this shop and call their bluff.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnyonthespot - see if anyone on these forums will trade for your NM 87. That shop was definitely trying to screw you over. Find a better one.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Nope
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Johnnyonthespot He needs to get edumicated. Lol
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would almost guarantee you that the shop owner wouldn't sell the CBCS slab for less if he owned it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Any cgc slab I have in my collection I would be willing to trade it straight across for a cbcs slab in the same grade,page quality and wrapped the same. I wouldn't even care what generation of cbcs label it had rivets would be welcomed
Post 30 IP   flag post
601440 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?