Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Does anybody here collect vinyl records?3824

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
very cool Carlin sig
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
While on the topic; Years ago I walked into a huge record dealer in the city I used to live in, and noticed they were preparing a new collection to be put on their shelves. There were 3 employees, one of them was the owner, going through the records.

I watched as they each would take a cover, look at it, then grab various different colored sharpies, and color touch the corners and spots that were worn. I asked the owner about this and he said they do it all the time. I told him about the comic book hobby and that color touch was not viewed positively. He said that it makes the albums easier to sell, and record buyers don't care if it's been color touched or not.

Since then I've paid attention to albums when I am buying, and he's right about one thing, there sure are a lot of color touched album covers on the market. I'm not into it enough to know if it is something embraced by the collectors or not.

Hi Steve.....Yes and No.

I think, others like me, like to find as clean of an LP as possible, but if the LP or cover is rare, then "writing" or "ring wear" on the cover is really something that is overlooked for the most part. I know I do, if the LP or cover is rare.

Examples.....if I had found a first state Beatles "Yesterday and Today" Butcher cover and it had white touch up.....clearly I would not care one bit.

ANother example would be me finding a Moody Blues "Days of Future Past" MONO issue. THe LP was scratched to frak, but the cover was decent (with wear and splits), but had a "Promotional only" sticker still applied to the front. This LP - in NM condition would garner close to $300+ dollars.....I sold it as it was....Good LP / Fine Cover - $75.00.

So, as you can see from just those two examples......cover quality sometimes plays a role in the value and sometimes it doesn't.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I noticed today my records sound terrible. There is a bad feedback when the voices or music get loud. I think I blew the speakers on this portable record player. I hooked it up to my computer speakers aux input and it carries over to those speakers too. Confused. So I even placed a towel underneath the unit thinking it would calm the vibration if any on my glass table...didn't really help. Now I'm listening the Dark Side of the Moon and the now it wants to walk the needle to the middle of the record and makes a terrible scratching sound. ugggh

the arm weight on the needle arm is off......set too light.....CORRECTION...set too heavy....which woujld cause the "non-contact" of the needle to the vinyl.

Sorry for the mis-speak Kapt.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@ZosoRocks Awesome collection!

Thanks for the compliment.....it has taken me many, many years......and those are just some of the better ones.....my collection is mainly 50s thru 70s rock. Trying to think out anything low value.

Lately, I've sold off some 70s and 80s Jazz - Atlantic and CTI recordings.

I actually started collecting LPs in the mid 70s and then turned to Comics in the 80s/90s.

I now do both.....*smiles*.....along with many other pop culture genres.
Post 79 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This Sony turntable is nothing like that cheap record player "starter pack". My records cound like cd quality on this Sony its ridiculously awesome and clear
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Yea, can't go wrong with Sony. Glad to hear you got it all straightened out and you can enjoy your LPs. BTW, Dark Side of the Moon goes extremely well with Jack Daniels, just sayin
Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff
BTW, Dark Side of the Moon goes extremely well with Jack Daniels, just sayin

....and as a great soundtrack to the wizard of oz....hehehe.....

Use the CD if you do....

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/how-to-view-the-wizard-of-oz-with-dark-side-of-the-moon

Have FUN!!
Post 82 IP   flag post
i drink knob creek 100 proof bourbon
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
i drink knob creek 100 proof bourbon

Good form sir, giggity
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
I also had the original lp copy of "Scorpions - Lovedrive" album which was released on the market inside a black plastic bag so the cover couldn't be seen. The cover showed a guy pulling a wad of bubblegum from a woman's right booby. Later the album was re-released with a granite statue of a scorpion on the cover.

I remember that. I didn't know much about them at the time.

"Lovedrive" and "Animal Magnetism" my 2 favorite albums by Scorpions.

A girl I used to date moved on and became a roadie. She was hanging out with the Scorpions road crew and they flew her to Germany to watch the Scorpions perform live on some TV show. I met the Scorpion road manger and drove him to the back entrance of an arena so he could get in the back entrance at a Motley Crew concert and hang out with them. I honestly can't remember if I ever saw the Scorpions live. I'm going to guess "no". I went to so many concerts back then that I can't remember anymore. Evidently, I saw Rush twice and only remember seeing them once. I was amused when I discovered that the guy I bought concert tickets from at the record store was the bass player for Riggs... the band that has the opening song in the heavy metal movie. The sound guy for Jackyl was one of two people that lured me back into comics in the early 90's. The band fired him after they got the record deal. Probably due to pressure from the record label. The other guy that got me interested in comics was roommates with one of Metallica's roadies. He got me back stage passes and a snakepit pass to see Metallica. I used the snakepit pass but had to work after the show, so I never got to use the backstage pass.

Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
@X51

"I find it very difficult to believe modern bands are recording on audio tape and preserving the full analog signal"

A lot of bands, that have the means to, will. Just Google it.

Here's a track my band recorded live to tape in 1992. 😂

http://dpiercy.com/1992/4.mp3

I was once a rocker.

I know some do. An engineer that worked for my dad was a tube and battery distributor. My dad bought him out of his stock when he retired. A local musician that worked with me found out and he bought my dad out on all his audio tubes because he performed with a tube type amp. He liked the sound better and tubes from China aren't of the same quality.

I was mainly thinking of the modern bands that are trying to get extra sales by releasing vinyl versions of their albums.
Post 86 IP   flag post
I wish I'd saved more stuff like this when I was a kid.
It's probably pretty rare. It's a radio commercial for the movie Conqueror Worm.

Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Just an FYI
I know a few of us mentioned having the record / comic book sets.
Some of them may be worth a little bit.
A Batman Power record set just sold for $101 on Comic Connect.
(I have 2 and will be holding on to them until I do a little research).

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=714127
Post 88 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This Sony turntable is nothing like that cheap record player "starter pack". My records cound like cd quality on this Sony its ridiculously awesome and clear

Cool!

Glad you're enjoying your records.
Post 89 IP   flag post
The sound quality is amazing. I don't even hear the record scratches or record sound. Sony for the win.

I can't believe that our surround system that we bought in 2001 STILL holds up to this day, and even more so - my PS4 has a digital audio cable out that plugs into the Sony surround system! 15 years and the tech is still ahead of its time before blu ray and ps4. Amazed at Sony right now.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Love me some vinyl. Basically, don't let'em get too hot or too cold. Stick to what you love, no sense wasting good comic book money on somethin you'll never listen to. Here's a slice of my collection, Lateralus from TOOL is my pride n joy.

Hey Rex.....here is a little trivia for you....

Led Zeppelin three.....if you will.....check out the trail-off matrix on the record for "Do what thou wilt".

If this is present....it represents a first pressing. Later pressing will NOT have this scribed in that area.

Also...if it is an Atlantic record with the number being "19xxxx" or something like that....that is a late 70s re-issue. Atlantic did that with the entire catalog. The first issues will have "SD 7201" and you will see that listed on the top right side of the record label.

Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=78749&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=led+zeppelin+III+do+what+thou&_sop=16
Post 91 IP   flag post
The III is the re-issue from a couple years back, the Dark Side and Abbey Road are re-issues too
Post 92 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone remember this gem from 1972. I had one, but I think I loaned it to someone and never got it back. Of course it's been 40+ years ago so who knows what happened to it. It's done in the tradition of the old radio shows from the 30's and 40's with some cheesy 70's music in the mix. Dr. Strange even guest stars.
Here's the whole album on youtube.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
The III is the re-issue from a couple years back, the Dark Side and Abbey Road are re-issues too

Bummer. But now you know what to look for ifyou ever decide to upgrade your collection.

Cheers and good luck!
Post 94 IP   flag post
new pickups today, all reissues because I'm really in it for the sound - I'll keep the first printings to comics not records

2016 Boston Sony Legacy LP

2006 U2 18 Singles Island Records Double LP

2011 Cypress Hill Self Titled LP

Eazy E Boyz in the Hood Single LP

Sublime 40oz to freedom Double LP Lenticular set
Post 95 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke awesome score!

Years ago I blew my 1k amp playing the Boston debut release at a party. My house was smokin'
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
new pickups today, all reissues because I'm really in it for the sound - I'll keep the first printings to comics not records.

Love the Sublime and Boston, could definitely go the rest of my life without hearing anything from U2, but to each his own. I'm with you on the first print comment tho, all I care about is the sound.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Be careful. Bono will smite you.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector jdangerc private msg quote post Address this user
I got all these for $20 at a local yard sale.
Post 99 IP   flag post
ooooooo good ones
Post 100 IP   flag post
went to the record store tonight after 2 bourbon

Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I bought this one new when it came out. I also have Metallica's Creeping Death EP and their Am I evil EP somewhere. They were not where I thought I put them, with all my other albums. I hope they did not get stolen. I unpacked my albums after having the box taped up for 22 years. I will have to post some of the others soon.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Did u pay $5.98 brah
Post 103 IP   flag post

Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Did u pay $5.98 brah
I sure did.
Post 105 IP   flag post
597876 114 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?